Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear ended - wheel alignment 'issues'

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mylesmuzza

Rear ended - wheel alignment 'issues'

Post by mylesmuzza » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Driving from Aberdeen to Aberystwyth got 498 miles over two days and waiting for the car in front to turn off, the taxi behind decided not to stop :cry: Hit me about 30 mph, there was space on the verge for him to miss and in his defense he nearly made it, but the whole force of the impact went into my nearside rear wheel, breaking the trailing arm and god knows what else. What a great start to the holiday spent first night in hospital with, I hate to say it but, severe whiplash.

Recovery was a good 3 hours! But car was back in Aberdeen the next day, insurance company kept delaying the date and I was supposed to get it back two weeks ago but they said there were problems with wheel alignment, I have since been sent away on business since and not really been in contact.

What are people thoughts? If they can't align the wheels, surely that is chassis damage and a write off?

Would really like to have gone under the car myself and had a look but work kind of gets in the way of that and never had a chance. I just don't want to be screwed over and left with a useless car that crabs along the road.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rear ended - wheel alignment 'issues'

Post by ben g » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm

That rear wheel is pretty far out of alignment indeed!

30mph into the rear end is quite a fair whack. It's the one's who claim whiplash after being tapped by a car doing 2mph that make my blood boil!
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:47 pm

A heavy knock on a single corner would concern me , with anything it will send it out of square :cry: especially at such a speed that you say .
If you can push for a full pay out & the car isn't a "special" one then imo take the cash & find another car , any future buyer will no doubt be able to see work done underneath & alarm bells may ring leaving you with a repaired car that's potentially difficult to sell ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mylesmuzza

Post by mylesmuzza » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks, that's kind of confirming my thoughts exactly, I will have to see what they say when I get back. Took me a long time to find one like that, but really nothing especially 'special'.

bjd

Post by bjd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Yes, I'm with mr wilks on this - get an //M ;-)
2007 Z4MR with all the toys and gadgets!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:06 am

bjd wrote:Yes, I'm with mr wilks on this - get an //M ;-)
Naughty :roll: i wasn't meaning "special" as in the 3.0s are ordinary :oops: just in that some guys search for a long time to get the their perfect spec/miles/history/colour combo , if not & a settlement figure is enough to buy a similar vehicle then i would push for the payout on this occasion
The Zs being notoriously susceptible to tracking & steering issues makes the risk of a repair not worth taking imo
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mylesmuzza

Post by mylesmuzza » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 pm

mr wilks wrote:
bjd wrote:Yes, I'm with mr wilks on this - get an //M ;-)
Naughty :roll: i wasn't meaning "special" as in the 3.0s are ordinary :oops: just in that some guys search for a long time to get the their perfect spec/miles/history/colour combo , if not & a settlement figure is enough to buy a similar vehicle then i would push for the payout on this occasion
The Zs being notoriously susceptible to tracking & steering issues makes the risk of a repair not worth taking imo
I had a few criteria, but this one was the closet I could find as well as it was Christmas and I wanted to buy myself a present, so maybe this is a chance to find the perfect one?