Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do I tell her ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NickDE

Do I tell her ?

Post by NickDE » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm

So, yesterday evening my 12 year old daughter excitedly told me about the BMW she saw on the way to school. Like an i8, but better looking, not electric, proper doors and with a really cool sounding engine. After some questions and some Google image searching we worked out she had spotted a Z4 Coupe. :thumbsup:
So do I tell her now that I am buying a Z4 Coupe (at least I will once I find the right one), or do I save the surprise until a Z4 Coupe takes up residence on our drive ?
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Chris_D » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 pm

NickDE wrote:So, yesterday evening my 12 year old daughter excitedly told me about the BMW she saw on the way to school. Like an i8, but better looking, not electric, proper doors and with a really cool sounding engine. After some questions and some Google image searching we worked out she had spotted a Z4 Coupe. :thumbsup:
So do I tell her now that I am buying a Z4 Coupe (at least I will once I find the right one), or do I save the surprise until a Z4 Coupe takes up residence on our drive ?
Save the surprise. And make sure you record the moment she sees it for the first time for posterity.
My dad did the same when he bought a Lotus Esprit around 1980 and I remember it like yesterday! I was the coolest kid in school with the coolest dad with the coolest car. Then my memories of it were always breaking down, overheating or just not working :lol:
Happy days.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Do I tell her ?

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 pm

+1 for saving the surprise - those are the things you (or she will) remember in later life.

E86 is an inspired choice for a new Z4 owner (although I may be slightly biased) - I hope you find one you like soon! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mattyp

Do I tell her ?

Post by mattyp » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Save the surprise
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Do I tell her ?

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:41 am

Has to be in the flesh on the day you bring it home. :D

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Stark » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 am

Surprise her and pick her up from school in it when you get it

STUBOY2UK

Do I tell her ?

Post by STUBOY2UK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 am

If she thinks the coupe is nice, imagine how excited she'll be when she sees her first roadster :thumbsup:
Z4R 3.0si Sport auto. So far: 19" CSLs, Eibachs, MM exhaust tips, de-badged rear, stubby, black grilles, spacers, aux cable, interior LEDs, LED boot strip......

Steve84N

Do I tell her ?

Post by Steve84N » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 am

STUBOY2UK wrote:If she thinks the coupe is nice, imagine how excited she'll be when she sees her first roadster :thumbsup:
Probably already seen a fair few and not even noticed them, being more common and all. :fuelfire:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Rorybeanbutler

Do I tell her ?

Post by Rorybeanbutler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Steve84N wrote:
STUBOY2UK wrote:If she thinks the coupe is nice, imagine how excited she'll be when she sees her first roadster :thumbsup:
Probably already seen a fair few and not even noticed them, being more common and all. :fuelfire:
Seeing a roadster is like seeing an mx5 or a ford ka.
z4 coúpe gone. C30 r design arrived.

coaldust

Do I tell her ?

Post by coaldust » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Rorybeanbutler wrote:
Steve84N wrote:
Seeing a roadster is like seeing an mx5 or a ford ka.
seeing the drivers face in a coupe on a gorgeous summers day with my hood down is always a good spot.
z4 3.0i Manual

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Stark wrote:Surprise her and pick her up from school in it when you get it

That's what I would do, although our other 7 kids would have to walk home :)

Mike

SeanConnor

Do I tell her ?

Post by SeanConnor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Stark wrote:Surprise her and pick her up from school in it when you get it
:thumbsup:
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Do I tell her ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Have to say that my kids LOVE the roadster, why wouldn't they when their normal conveyance has a metal roof, just like a coupe...

:)

Mike

NickDE

Do I tell her ?

Post by NickDE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm going for the surprise, if I can restrain myself that long ! School pickup is also a good idea if I can get time off work etc.

I wasn't planning on starting an E85 vs E86 battle here. But it is true, she doesn't get wowed by the roadster - because she loves cruising in the back of my E30 325i convertible :thumbsup: This is also why the coupe is such an easy choice for me, I can get my fix of roof-down motoring in the E30 8)
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Zeddicus

Do I tell her ?

Post by Zeddicus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Lucky you and your kid too! :thumbsup:
Awesome to see such a proof of fine taste coming from a 12 years old, congrats to the parents! :D

I wish my dad brought something nice and cool like a coupe (or a roadster!) at home instead of the Peugeot, Fiat, Lada (yes, they were actually exported and my dad bought one) and Citroën we had!
(This could actually explain my urge to buy only cars that I consider cool as a post-trauma behavior :roll: )
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black