Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CCV delete. Anyone do it?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 pm

So there's a school of thought which believes that getting rid of the ccv system in it's entirety has some credibility.
It's fairly well-documented with regards to how to actually bypass it- downtube from cam cover to a catch can etc, but has anyone here actually done it and reapd the benefits?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm

do you mean CDV delete?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

No, I see catch can there. I've not read of anyone doing it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm

he means ccv if he's talking about a catch can.

I dont see any real benefit in deleting the ccv system other than that the ccv can fail/get clogged over time. Or is there some other benefit you're looking for?
There must always be some kind of ventilation present otherwise you'll get huge oil leaks.

I dont have the original ccv system anymore (I have a twinscrew supercharger), where the vent hose from the valvecover goes directly to the inlet of the supercharger (there is a valve inbetween so there is only suction when boost is off).
There's no real oil useage. I dont have a catch can inbetween there but I'm planning to put one there to monitor how much oil goes through that.
But as I said, I have no drain anymore to the dipstick tube.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 pm

surely deleting it will just cause a vacuum problem in system and mpg/oil consumption will fall badly im guesing

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

yep, i meant crank case ventilation delete.
reason i ask is that i'm replacing mine with the cold-climate version which is bigger (due to valce insulation) and now requires me to take the whole inlet manifold off just so i can fit it properly. which means i have to wait for more bloody spare parts (inlet manifold gaskets).
tbh, i wish i'd have deleted it for the amount of time it's taking!
i saw many M54 owners, esp in the US have deleted and installed a catch-can with a hose running from vcg and 'distribution piece' holes blocked off.
However, i'm plodding on replacing it....slowly.....

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Why are you installing the cold climate one?

As far as I know there are 2 main reasons why they fail, one being that the internal rubber membrane disintegrates over time and the other one is clogging up, presumably due to a mix of oil and water vapour creating sludge (typical for cars that are started often in cold weather but run for very small distances, preventing the system to warm up properly).
Will the cold climate one prevent these problems?

Repearing the stock one is a fairly simple job I think?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi, I think the cold climate version of ccv is insulated & heated to prevent the oil mist from condensing prematurely in the pipes & sludging up-it sounds as though it could help combat the harm that using the car for short journeys can cause with the oil not getting hot enough, for long enough.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Yep, it's insulated which will help to regulate the temperatures that the crappy thin plastic tubing is susceptible to. It's essentially a bit of future-proofing as well as 'winterizing' my car as i'll be travelling to Poland (gdansk) as well as switzerland and norway over the winter months.
Having worked with polymers in the aviation industry, it's well acknowledged that temp fluctuations contribute to accellerated polymer degradation, so its just playing safer than i prob need to really while i have the opportunity.
However, tackling the replacement myself, not being a mechanic, is turning out to be more of an effort than i was expecting.
Hey ho.

Twin screw supercharger guido? Wow. U need to get some engine bay vids up on ur youtube channel... :wink:

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:37 pm

you may as well go for it then and try it if ohters have I wouldnt worry to much it must be ok

1972nail

Post by 1972nail » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Not having looked at the pipes myself yet but would it not be possible to insulate the existing pipes?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 pm

I think its more the valve and the swirl bowl that will be difficult to insulate.
Definately a good idea to swap the the cold weather one if you're going to poland or norway in wintertime.
But driving longer journeys is even more important as that dissolves the sludge; the insulated one can only prevent that sludge freezing up.

Some people also put a one way valve in the return line (to the dipstick outlet), but I think thats not a good idea. Most check valves have a spring and steel ball inside. The oil return is gravity fed and thats not strong enough to press the spring in a check valve so it will stay closed.
Easy to check though. (put a hose on top with a few drops of oil in it and see if it passes the checkvalve)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Well, the intake manifold is off today so its all or nothing i suppose!
New ccv valve connected to the difficult s-bend hose section, impossible to do without taking manifold off with cold climate version.
What a PITA!
Still think bypass/delete could have been a viable option.

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Theres post i was reading today on e46 forum today. Some guy has done the same CCV delete with catch can. Is now getting fuel trim error codes.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:23 pm

That can only be coincidence, surely. The vent is directly into the manifold and there's nothing to measure that to know it's not being burnt.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.