Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting new windscreen

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Has anyone recently fitted a new windscreen in an E85? If so, how much did it cost, what other bits did you replace or would recommend replacing with the screen?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by paddy wright » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Get it done on your insurance and insist on them using OEM BMW glass
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:35 pm

paddy wright wrote:Get it done on your insurance and insist on them using OEM BMW glass
And what reason would I give? The screen is badly scratched and has a few dinks in it but too large to fill and polish.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm

DMC63 wrote:
paddy wright wrote:Get it done on your insurance and insist on them using OEM BMW glass
And what reason would I give? The screen is badly scratched and has a few dinks in it but too large to fill and polish.
Stones can fly up at anytime and one in the arc swept by the drivers wiper would certainly require a new screen

General suggestion is to replace the screen rubber trim with genuine BMW and if a bit tired I'd replace the lower scuttle cover that often breaks clips and doesn't fit well
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:19 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Stones can fly up at anytime and one in the arc swept by the drivers wiper would certainly require a new screen

General suggestion is to replace the screen rubber trim with genuine BMW and if a bit tired I'd replace the lower scuttle cover that often breaks clips and doesn't fit well
Thanks guys. I've got a windscreen excess of £65. I'll give the insurance company a call.

This is the paragraph from my insurance that throws up concerns of getting BMW oem parts.

- Windscreen Replacement/Repair Limit when not using our approved repairer
When making a claim under Section 8 of your policy for replacement or repair of windscreen or windows of your car, the maximum amount we will pay will be £95 after deducting the excess, if you do not use our approved glass company via our glass line number shown on your schedule or Certificate of Motor Insurance

How do I ensure that 'glassline' (The insurers appointed company) use BMW oem and replace the rubbers and scuttle cover? Any good reasons for only using BMW oem that will sway them? I only want BMW oem fitted.
Last edited by DMC63 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by paddy wright » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Yeah it was for me- politely explain that you are aware that non BMW are prone to leaks, wind noise etc and that you will only accept OEM.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 pm

paddy wright wrote:Yeah it was for me- politely explain that you are aware that non BMW are prone to leaks, wind noise etc and that you will only accept OEM.
Thanks Paddy.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by Chris_D » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 pm

May be a silly question but how would you know that you will receive OEM parts even if stipulatig theyre used?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by mmm-five » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Despite not having BMW screens in my Z4M (2 Pilkington ones so far), I've not had any leaks/noises from the screens.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

TomK

Fitting new windscreen

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 pm

mmm-five wrote:Despite not having BMW screens in my Z4M (2 Pilkington ones so far), I've not had any leaks/noises from the screens.
Indeed pilkington is oe manufacturer for BMW I believe. Had their glass in my old M3 with no problems (after autoglass or whoever it was brought the wrong glass 3 times :headbang: ) and I'd have no issue using one again. It just doesn't have the bmw stamp on it, no real biggy.
I think issues arise from having pattern part rubbers, for the sake of a few extra quid it's probably worth getting those yourself rather than believing mr autoglass that they are oem.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Rassi

Fitting new windscreen

Post by Rassi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm

After a failed attempt (YouTube can be dangerous) to replace the windscreen rubber with the windscreen in place, I had to replace the windscreen...

Carglass quoted 800 euro, had it done at a local place for 270 euro (excluding the 25 euro windscreen rubber). Not OEM but Saint-Gobain Sekurit, and no problems with leaks or wind noise.

The scuttle cover had to be replaced, as it had become brittle and the fixings were broken off (unavoidable) when the windscreen was replaced so a new one fitted at about 140 euro. That part is very unlikely to be covered by the insurance.
‘21 BMW X5 M50i
Gone:
BMW: Z3 M Coupe, E39 M5, E60 M5, E92 M3, Z4 Coupe, F10 M5, X5 M50D, F31 335D, Z4 35iS,
G31 540i, X3M, F90 M5, X3M, X5 40d
MB: C43 AMG
Audi: A6 BiTDI Avant
Alfa Romeo: 164 V6 24V, Giulia Quadrifoglio

co-pey

Fitting new windscreen

Post by co-pey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 am

I'll offer a little help from this side of the Atlantic:

When I bought my Z4C in July, the windshield was in terrible condition. Wiper rash and rock chips galore. Surprising considering the car only at 48K miles at that point. I cleaned it with a mild abrasive* to get a picture of how bad it was and to remove any grime and water spots. Pretty bad. When the Sun was low on the horizon, or with oncoming headlights, it was near impossible to see out of.

As the windshield was undamaged from an insurance standpoint, I opted to pay out of pocket. I was having some other work done to the car so no big deal to me. BMW glass was something like $800-$900. Aftermarket was $400 with installation. Normally, I go full OEM. But a $400 difference was a big enough discount to sway me otherwise. I personally cannot tell a difference other than I can now see clearly through the windshield.

*Bar Keepers Friend. It's a very fine powder used for cleaning the smooth glass top stoves. I mix a slurry and use it as directed. Just lightly rub it on the glass, let it glaze over, and then lightly buff it off with a damp microfiber. Gets rid of lots of baked on bugs, road garbage and general funk.
Success is earned and so is failure.

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

I spoke with the glass Co, they said they'd have to clear using oem parts. Got a call of the insurance Co, they're happy to go ahead with oem glass and new oem rubbers.

They want a pic of the screen stamp. The stamp reads Pilkington :? Does this mean it's not a Oe original screen?

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Chris_D wrote:May be a silly question but how would you know that you will receive OEM parts even if stipulatig theyre used?
Surely it would have BMW stamped on it and it would match the tint of the other windows.

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm

TomK wrote:
mmm-five wrote:Despite not having BMW screens in my Z4M (2 Pilkington ones so far), I've not had any leaks/noises from the screens.
Indeed pilkington is oe manufacturer for BMW I believe. Had their glass in my old M3 with no problems (after autoglass or whoever it was brought the wrong glass 3 times :headbang: ) and I'd have no issue using one again. It just doesn't have the bmw stamp on it, no real biggy.
I think issues arise from having pattern part rubbers, for the sake of a few extra quid it's probably worth getting those yourself rather than believing mr autoglass that they are oem.
Is your pilkington screen green tinted to match the other windows?