Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trip computer mpg accurate?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 pm

BradleyB wrote:
ben g wrote:
BradleyB wrote:Yeah reset it! I reset the mpg every time I fill up and put the mileage, fuel price and litres into an app on my iPhone. I then compare the figures and the car always seems to calculate a bit higher than what I'm actually getting!
Buy a Prius.
It's more to track the miles I do each year but thanks for the advice..
MOT does that.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm

I use my 2.5 auto for work and have an app to track journeys for tax reasons, and it has averaged 26.1mpg over the last 810 miles. I can drive on motorways, countryside or town, best tankful was 28mpg, worst 23mpg.

Trouble is, you cannot help sticking your foot down even if it is just for the sound of that engine, and the way it hustles around corners in the country, and the feeling of acceleration and power. If I wanted a car that is good on fuel I would not have got this car.

Hell, in 20 years time we will all be forced to use self drive electric cars, with petrol and diesel cars being limited to 500 miles a year on classic car status and fuel will cost £20,0000 a gallon, we will all be wishing we could go back to thrashing our cars around when it only cost a small amount more. I worked out that it costs me £200 more every 5000 miles to use my Z4 than it does my Santa Fe, which does 35mpg.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.