Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe N52 oil leak

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Newbers

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Newbers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:14 pm

It's getting a bit messy down there....

Left hand side (viewed from front of car):

[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... xajb2u.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... qq2der.jpg[/IMG]

I guess this is likely to be the valve cover gasket? Anyone got experience of this?

The other side appears OK:
[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... vxewit.jpg[/IMG]
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

alekos911

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by alekos911 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

My coupe has started weeping oil just above the exhaust manifold like yours in the first photo (not quite as nasty as yours though, the leak on mine is negligible). I guess this is a weak spot maybe due to the increased thermal loads on this side.

For the time being I am keeping an eye on it as it doesn't seem to weep oil on the other side. Seems like our valve cover gasket are on their way out.

(On a side note...I would kill myself, if my engine bay looked this oily :poke: )
Thank God who created man to create these cars :-)
(ps: Because I am trying to improve my fluency in English, please feel free to correct me whenever it's necessary)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Seeing this more and more on the N52's now.
Common issue on the m54's and ive done mine. Relatively easy fix even for a novice.
Presume its similar procedure on N52?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Smartbear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm

This can be exasperated by a blocked ccv leading to increased crankcase compression causing a weak link to fail (cam cover gasket)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Newbers

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Newbers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 pm

alekos911 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm (On a side note...I would kill myself, if my engine bay looked this oily :poke: )
I know what you mean but at least the bits that are covered in oil don't corrode! It's now starting to drip on the manifold so every now and then I can smell it burning :x
Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm This can be exasperated by a blocked ccv leading to increased crankcase compression causing a weak link to fail (cam cover gasket)
Rob
Thanks Rob, I'm going to have to look in to this. I did see a thread earlier about the M54 engine (which I think you had contributed to.) I couldn't see anything specifically about the N52 tho.
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Mangozac

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Mangozac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 pm

I replaced an N52 valve cover gasket recently. If it's an early one with metal valve cover (which it looks to be from the photos) then all of the bolts (19 or so) are single use aluminium ones. You will need to buy a replacement set in addition to the valve cover gasket.

The job itself wasn't too bad to do, but there is a specific torque sequence required for the bolts: 7Nm + 90 degrees. The only other parts you need to remove are the coils, throttle actuator motor and strut tower to firewall brace. The heat shield will need to be bent out of the way a little also.

Edited to correct the valve cover material from plastic to metal
Last edited by Mangozac on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Newbers

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Newbers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Mangozac wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 pm I replaced an N52 valve cover gasket recently. If it's an early one with plastic cover (which it looks to be from the photos) then all of the bolts (19 or so) are single use aluminium ones. You will need to buy a replacement set in addition to the valve cover gasket.

The job itself wasn't too bad to do, but there is a specific torque sequence required for the bolts: 7Nm + 90 degrees. The only other parts you need to remove are the coils, throttle actuator motor and strut tower to firewall brace. The heat shield will need to be bent out of the way a little also.
Thanks Mangozac
I'll pop the plastic cover off at the weekend and have a closer look (and give it a clean!) My jobs on this car are starting to accumulate....

jack07

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by jack07 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Mine leaking from there too,while looking into what's necessary/wise to tackle/replace at same time,the valvetronic motor gasket will also be on my shopping list.As an aside,Mobil 1 is definitely better working inside the motor,than burnt off the exhaust!Smells bad enough to make me fix it asap! :x
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

jack07

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by jack07 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Mine leaking from there too,while looking into what's necessary/wise to tackle/replace at same time,the valvetronic motor gasket will also be on my shopping list.As an aside,Mobil 1 is definitely better working inside the motor,than burnt off the exhaust!Smells bad enough to make me fix it asap! :x
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Mangozac

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Mangozac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Newbers wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm Thanks Mangozac
I'll pop the plastic cover off at the weekend and have a closer look (and give it a clean!) My jobs on this car are starting to accumulate....
Sorry mate, I screwed up typing my post too early in the morning! Plastic valve covers have reusable bolts, metal valve covers (like you have) are single use.

I've just had a closer look at the pics though and it seems like the oil is coming from higher up than the valve cover gasket. Take the top plastic engine cover off (the one with the BMW badge in it, 5 half-turn torx screws) and have a look around the throttle actuator motor gasket to see if that's where the oil is coming from. That would be my first guess based on the location.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 am

Mangozac wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:59 pm
Newbers wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm Thanks Mangozac
Sorry mate, I screwed up typing my post too early in the morning! Plastic valve covers have reusable bolts, metal valve covers (like you have) are single use.

I've just had a closer look at the pics though and it seems like the oil is coming from higher up than the valve cover gasket. Take the top plastic engine cover off (the one with the BMW badge in it, 5 half-turn torx screws) and have a look around the throttle actuator motor gasket to see if that's where the oil is coming from. That would be my first guess based on the location.
That plastic engine cover just pulls off without undoing anything, mine did anyway :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mangozac

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Mangozac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:43 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 am That plastic engine cover just pulls off without undoing anything, mine did anyway :P
Rob
It does, but I wouldn't. You'll end up bending the metal bracket that secures it to the engine. Takes 5 seconds to undo the screws with a torx bit socket ;)

Newbers

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Newbers » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:54 pm

I finally got round to taking the cover off (four 5mm allen bolts).

It's still really difficult to figure out where the oil has come from. I suspect some has been spilt when topping up but I don't think that's the whole story.

[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... suhm07.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... iyndxt.jpg[/IMG]

Mangozac: I take it this is the plastic valve cover you referred to?

There still appears to be quite a bit more oil lower down :x
[IMG]http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 ... fouwdt.jpg[/IMG]

I did spray the whole area with degreaser so hopefully that will make it easier to track down where its coming from

Joycey

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Joycey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Mines a little moist down that side to. It's on the list of things to do eventually.

Steve84N

Coupe N52 oil leak

Post by Steve84N » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Mine too, not sure what it is.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc