Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

On the look out for an E89 Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 pm

Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:41 pm There are a few nice 23i coming up at reasonable money and some are priced silly, but I do wonder if 200bhp is enough.
I think the only way to find out would be to go and try one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 24, 2024 7:11 pm

Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:41 pm It does appear that there are a number of buyers all looking for a E89 30i. Any car that looks good value gets snapped up instantly.
Probably thanks, in no small part, to this forum.
With so many offering horror stories of the 4 cylinder turbo, it puts a lot of people off them. I've seen it numerous times on here and elsewhere.
The N54 also has some major issues and the cars are more expensive, so puts a lot off those aswell.
Then, of course, there is the 'it has to a straight 6, it's a beemer' brigade.
Which leaves the 23i and 30i N52 cars. Same engine, different displacement. The 23i and 30i 'were' both very good value for money, and the 30i is always going to be favoured over the other for obvious reasons.
Which now makes them very popular, so the prices are bound to rise. There weren't all that many sold new, either, which doesn't help.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri May 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 pm
Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:41 pm There are a few nice 23i coming up at reasonable money and some are priced silly, but I do wonder if 200bhp is enough.
I think the only way to find out would be to go and try one!
Hardly any come up near me. I'm going to have to travel.

I don't want to waste someone's time turning up do a test drive.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri May 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:11 pm
Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:41 pm It does appear that there are a number of buyers all looking for a E89 30i. Any car that looks good value gets snapped up instantly.
Probably thanks, in no small part, to this forum.
With so many offering horror stories of the 4 cylinder turbo, it puts a lot of people off them. I've seen it numerous times on here and elsewhere.
The N54 also has some major issues and the cars are more expensive, so puts a lot off those aswell.
Then, of course, there is the 'it has to a straight 6, it's a beemer' brigade.
Which leaves the 23i and 30i N52 cars. Same engine, different displacement. The 23i and 30i 'were' both very good value for money, and the 30i is always going to be favoured over the other for obvious reasons.
Which now makes them very popular, so the prices are bound to rise. There weren't all that many sold new, either, which doesn't help.
I wouldn't rule out a 4 cylinder, but the prices some people are asking is crazy. I'm not going to pay more for a 4 cylinder over a 6. Private sale cars are really struggling to move.

The number of cars available is increasing on AutoTrader. I hope this balances prices out.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:14 pm Hardly any come up near me. I'm going to have to travel.

I don't want to waste someone's time turning up do a test drive.
That's fair enough if it's a private sale, but not so much for a trade sale. Before I bought my first Z4 I went to look at one on sale by a local trader, and might possibly have bought it but it had a few issues and hadn't been advertised as an SE - I wanted a Sport!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 24, 2024 7:27 pm

Beerman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:20 pm I wouldn't rule out a 4 cylinder, but the prices some people are asking is crazy. I'm not going to pay more for a 4 cylinder over a 6. Private sale cars are really struggling to move.

The number of cars available is increasing on AutoTrader. I hope this balances prices out.
I know what you mean, there are a lot of deluded car sellers out there.
When I was looking for my F31 recently, I messaged the sellers of every one that fitted the bill (they were all massively overpriced). I said to let me know when they wanted to sell their car for realistic money.
I was shocked at some of the language in the replies TBH. :D
Let's just say it didn't work!

The only option you have if you think all the good ones are overpriced is to watch and wait. It's a buyer's market, no matter what some may think.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 25, 2024 11:25 am

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:11 pm Probably thanks, in no small part, to this forum.
I doubt this forum has that much weight as to why people search out the N52 30i and to be fair this forum has a fair few advocates for the N20 yourself included as well as negative stories about this engine, so it balances out. There are quite few on here that despite those negative stories who have still purchased the N20.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 25, 2024 11:28 am

For the OP if you are looking at a private sale far away, you could ask the seller if they would do a video call and show you around the car to avoid any waste of time both for you and the seller.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sat May 25, 2024 1:16 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:28 am For the OP if you are looking at a private sale far away, you could ask the seller if they would do a video call and show you around the car to avoid any waste of time both for you and the seller.
Getting on honest appraisal from an owner about the car they are selling is never easy. :D

I do notice less private sellers are putting any detail in their adverts. They don't want to mention anything about the condition or maintenance of the car. On saying that owners and garages often claim full service history when it is not even close.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 25, 2024 2:25 pm

Beerman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:16 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:28 am For the OP if you are looking at a private sale far away, you could ask the seller if they would do a video call and show you around the car to avoid any waste of time both for you and the seller.
Getting on honest appraisal from an owner about the car they are selling is never easy. :D

I do notice less private sellers are putting any detail in their adverts. They don't want to mention anything about the condition or maintenance of the car. On saying that owners and garages often claim full service history when it is not even close.
That is true and probably because they want any come backs. Still a video call will give you a slightly better idea as to if it is worth the trip.