Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can i get Spotify to work with IDrive and cable?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hosse

Can i get Spotify to work with IDrive and cable?

Post by Hosse » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I have an 2.3 2009 E89 with HiFi Proff, Bluetooth Handsfre etc.
I have this USB and AUX 3.5 mm connection under the armrest. When I connect my Iphone 5 to the USB, the car sees it and tells me the name of the phone, and is showing some 15 songs (some of them I dont even think are mine..). When I start Spotify and press play, the song is presented in the cars display, but no sound. I need to connect the 3.5 mm cable also. Then there is sound. No when I try to choose the next song on the steering wheel, the song starts from the beginning. If I dobbletapp theres a nother random song. Sometimes nothing happends when I push the buttons..

I cant really understand anything of this.. I other forums the recomend to use the Bluetooth connection instead, but I cant find it. My car is constantly connectet to the car via Bluetooth and the handsfree is working perfect. Is there anything my car is missing to use the Bluetooth connection?

Thanks in advance!
Best regards
Hosse
"Norway - Z4 2.5IA E89 - 320D F31"

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Can i get Spotify to work with IDrive and cable?

Post by Angie4m » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Do you have the sat Nav? If so it could be that there is already music stored on the Hard Drive in the car but this can be deleted. Although when connected and selected to play from the iPhone it does not play music from the hard drive, so this would be music that is coming from your iPhone in someway.

When I use my iPhone I always use the USB and 3.5mm cable to have the sound, i've never used the bluetooth to stream the music. It could well be that as Spotify is an online music streaming application that it could just be a delay in the music updating and being played. I have the Amazon Music App which works by storing the music on the Cloud and then streaming it to the phone and sometime there can be a delay in the music coming through whilst it uploads but it still shows on the screen.

Again if streaming this might be the reason for the fact that when you use the buttons on the steering wheel it seems like they are doing nothing, especially if its trying to load.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Angie4m: Yes, i have Navi Proff. OK, so music and maps are stored in the harddrive of my car?
Yes, it seems that it findes some songs on my phone (or the harddrive) that it can read. You say you never used the Bluetooth to connect to youre phone for music. How do I connect this? Cant find it in the instructions or the meny..

Sorry, but theres only Spotify or WIMP thats an option here in Norway..
Best regards
Hosse

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:37 pm

And Im now over on IOS 8.0:-)
Best regards
Hosse

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Prior to end Of 2010 Bluetooth audio for music was not available. Google 'combox' for more info.

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks!
Best regards
Hosse

djstan

Post by djstan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:58 pm

@Maniac - can bluetooth audio be retrofitted? I have googled combox and while there is loads of info, nothing seems specific to the Z4..
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:03 pm

combox can be retrofitted, its no small job though and you lose BMW assist/online services.

You can get bluetooth audio via an ebay cheapo box that plugs into USB/AUX but you can't control tracks from the car with that.

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:35 pm

I think its starting to work now! I see my song on the monitor and I can skip tracks. Wierd thing is that the "down" button is "next song" an vice versa. Strange:-)
Best regards
Hosse

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:44 pm

I read something the other day about setting the random mode to on allows control over spotify, some weird bug.