Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reflections on a recent purchase...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:51 pm

I have spent the last few months entertaining a vanity that a roadster, once again in my life, might be a good idea. My first one was a 1967 MGB, just 3 years old at the time and that little offering from England set the hook. I owned three more British Leyland offerings before a Porsche 914, a beat up 912 and a Europa, (God bless Colin Chapman!), before having children and starting a serious career while driving sedans and SUVs. A brief re-acquaintance with the type was a '92 Miata, (MX5), which only lasted a short time as my daughter drove it of to Med School and I never saw it again. Finally, the kids are on their own and the word 'roadster' kept sneaking into my mind.

Slowly, and with a variety of influences effecting my trajectory, I settled on a 2012 Z4 sDrive 35i. The car had 11,300 miles, 2 years of warranty, was well equipped and had been respectfully owned. The final push was price. Originally priced at $62,900, I paid $37,000. As I drove it home cautiously, I felt a bit like a thief; I could not fathom a car of this quality and performance could be had for such a low price. I also felt a bit intimidated! The 35i is a BEAST. It is competitive with Porches, Lotuses, and,believe it or not, Corvettes! I had read abut the "Launch control" feature, but immediately thought I would never have the confidence to even try it let alone regularly use it. In fact, after a few weeks of ownership, i still haven't had the courage to try the advanced "Sport +" mode. This is no MG, Healy or Triumph from the 60's. This is a serious, modern autobahn car. Until last weekend, I was beginning to think I had bought too much car, but was eager to see if an old Geezer like me could adapt to the modern sports car.

Last weekend, I put 460 miles on the odometer going to see an old sailing buddy who is in late stage Alzheimer's. He and his wife retired to Chestertown, (Eastern Shore of Maryland), 5 years ago and within months of the move, Chip began to shows signs of the disease. I went down to spend the day with him and help get his sailboat in the water. The boat was his dad's, and Chip sailed it for 50 years. It has been good therapy for him to just sit on deck and have lunch over the last few years. Sadly, he didn't remember either me or the boat; his amazing wife tells me he is "Spiraling in.", and he is not sure who she is most of the time. Incredibly sad; he was an amazing trial lawyer and at 55, he needs constant supervision. I thought he might enjoy waxing his old boat, but he couldn't remember how to put a jacket on let alone wax a boat, so I offered Nancy a few hours alone time by taking Chip for a ride in my new convertible.

We got him dressed and set out. His first question was, "What happened to the roof?" Poor guy. We got moving, and I heard him chuckle as we sped thru some turns. I have been trying to learn the manual shift points and we found some nice flat country roads to unwind it a bit. I stole a glimpse at Chip's face every so often and he was clearly enjoying the ride. A few outright laughs as I threw him against the seat belt reminded me what a funny guy he used to be. ..and one of the smartest, sharpest, most fun loving folks I have ever known. He was enjoying the ride more and more as his chuckles turned to squeals and loud laughs.

We worked our way north to Millington, then south to Goldsboro, Greensboro and Denton. Knowing the Delaware State cops have no souls, I stayed in Maryland and on secondary roads, but looked for twisty stuff. The Eastern Shore is built like a pool table and there are few obstacles so the roads tend to be drawn with a ruler - perfect to learn the nuances of manual dual clutch shifting. Its a strange feeling to leave your foot on the gas when upshifting! After 90 minutes I decided I still have a LOT to learn - and I had yet to put it into either of the 2 Sport modes! My reach has exceeded my grasp, but its the journey, right? So I have time to master this beast.

Outside of Denton, we were both laughing as the car had gotten light over a heave in the road and we stopped at the light laughing at like schoolgirls. Chip was wiping his eyes when he looked at me and asked if I knew where he lived with a very real look of concern, even fear, on his face. I assured him I did and he said, "This is too powerful a car for me, I don't think we'll buy it....we should go back to the dealership." He had forgotten who I was again. What a horrible disease. It takes WHO YOU ARE away! I said , " OK, we'll head back.", and tried not to weep. We motored back at sane speeds and enjoyed the sunshine. He was asleep as we pulled into his driveway. His wife met us and helped me get him back in the house where he collapsed asleep on the sofa. She walked me to the car as I encouraged her to stay strong and reminded her what a great person she was to support the fight Chip was forced into. "Yeah," she said, "but every day he gets further away from me." I told her he was lucky - he had her. We hugged goodbye and I headed for the bridge, counting my blessings and wondering if I'd ever see my old friend again, but knew I was unlikely to.

An hour or so later I passed Rt. 81 and knew I was back home in the high country of the Maryland mountains. I realized my new-old car had briefly made my old friend happy for a while....maybe that is the first of many such moments for me and the Z. The car is just a week or so old for me, and I hardly know it, but I like how she makes others around me feel. Maybe it was the right decision after all....

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Great story, and welcome :thumbsup:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that very touching account
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Lovely story :)
It reminds me that in many ways we only have the current moment, and although many of Chip's are confusing and muddled, you also gave him some wonderful ones in the Z4 :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:53 pm

great read, welcome to the forum buddy, enjoy the car and the memories :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Nice day out with your old mate and in a great car. You made him smile for a few hours, you cannot better that. Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks for that, a very moving story which you will remember for a long time.
All the best to you.
2.2R Toledo Blue

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Great intro story. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. The Zed is one of those cars that brings joy to peoples lives & the roadster even more so. :thumbsup:

Welcome. :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:15 pm

buzyg wrote: the roadster even more so. :thumbsup:
Then the fight started ... :rofl: :popcorn:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Good on you for taking the time and trouble to share this with us and more so for supporting your buddy and his wife. I'm sure that will have made life just a bit more bearable. Terrible disease which takes a terrible toll.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:12 pm

pvr wrote:
buzyg wrote: the roadster even more so. :thumbsup:
Then the fight started ... :rofl: :popcorn:
:D . . . and it was going so well
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Great and touching story. It was worth getting your Zed just for that day with Chip.

Welcome and enjoy :driving:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Great story and thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Terrible to hear about your friend. Enjoy your great car on those great roads of yours :thumbsup: I'm guessing lots of us here in Britain would love to drive our cars over there :D
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Great intro and welcome. Just confirms the theory live for today.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Good Lord!

You all humble me. Thank you very much for the kindness you express. I really hadn't expected that from a group I do not know. I have never felt quite so welcome....

I must confess that I have always felt that a great car, much like owning a great dog, or a finding a great book, is something that 'must come to you' - you really can't just go out and find one on a whim. Your heart must be true, and if you are worthy, the choice is no choice at all - you are presented with a find of obvious rarity and you just know it is right for you. I have had that feeling every time I have purchased a roadster in my life, and the Z, (you Brits say "Zed", right?), is one of them. I feel lucky to have found it and based solely on my experience with Chip I am now convinced this Z and I were meant to be together.

I simply can't wait to learn all its quirks.....and I seem to learn something new each time I drive it!