Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

petrol normal unleaded or Premium?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
paul1969

Post by paul1969 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 am

I'm new to this I have only ever read the forums that other's have posted so this is my first lol.

I own a SDrive 2.5ltr which is a 2011. I've owned the car for just over 8 months and at the moment I'm just using normal unleaded fuel from my local Morrisons supermarket and have since buying the car.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing the right thing or should I be using a higher grade fuel and if so any recommendations to which one would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

LewisB

Post by LewisB » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Paul,

I'm sure someone will come along shortly with their expertise but generally what you find with supermarket fuel across the board is that it is of a base standard. I think it will have to meet a British Standard before sale.

Generally places like Shell, which is my preference for all my cars, add additives to the fuel which generally creates better performance...... I believe. It should also keep your engine 'cleaner'.

Hope that's a good starter!

Lewis.
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

paul1969

Post by paul1969 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Lewis,

I find that the best advice is from people like yourself who drive the cars.

Thanks for the reply!

Paul.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:09 am

My 23i runs well on Shell standard unleaded, but seems a bit flat on the cheaper super market stuff.
Occasionally I put in the Shell nitro for it's cleaning properties and again seems to run slightly better on it, but pricey.

paul1969

Post by paul1969 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:20 am

This is one of my reasons for asking, I put the more pricey stuff in the other day by mistake and it did seem to run a little better but I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination.

I looked at the manual and it says to use 91 RON or higher, but recommended 95 RON ??

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Paul, the petrol in the UK is mostly prety good. Even the stuff from the super markets. Abroad 91 is not uncommon. UK in nearly all 95 and above. Super tends to be 97-99 RON. A few things to note. Shell Supper unleaded, for sure has a good reputation on this Forum. I certainly use it in my ///MR. I also use Tesco Super and I really can't tell the difference when driving, just at the till. :wink:

I have also read and tend to agree, that buying from a busy pump is best, as the fuel will be fresher. Is restocked more frequently. So I'm afraid I long abandoned those little local stations. :(

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:55 am

Hi, as already posted the super unleaded keeps your engine cleaner internally due to the detergents it contains over & above standard unleaded. Any performance increase is just a bonus-its what I use :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

paul1969

Post by paul1969 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks Guys for the replies, looks like Shell and the more pricey stuff is best think I'm going to go with that from now on, like you say it costs more but as the saying go's you get what you pay for.

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 am

I always use Shell V Power Nitro Plus on my 35IS, rated at 99 Ron

Quick article on V-Power below:
https://recombu.com/cars/article/is-it- ... nitro-fuel

Will V-Power Nitro+ give me better performance?
It's a distinct possibility. Shell's Friction Modification Technology, or lube, helps the engine turn more freely. Less friction means less wasted energy and more power from the fuel can be transmitted to the wheels. Also, whereas ordinary unleaded fuels have a research octane number of 95 RON, V-Power Nitro+ is rated at 99 RON. This gives your engine the potential to extract more power from every swig of petrol.
One of the keys to high engine performance is an engine's compression ratio. The higher the compression ratio, the more mechanical energy it can extract from a given amount of fuel mixed with air. Unfortunately, engines that run high compression ratios are prone to a phenomenon known as knocking, where the fuel explodes inside the cylinder instead of burning in a controlled way.
Fuels with a high RON rating are more resistant to knocking, so engines can run at a higher compression ratio, burn fuel more effectively and extract more power.

Can V-Power Nitro+ increase fuel economy
This is another definite maybe. When your car leaves the factory, the surfaces of its engine are clean and highly finished. However, over time, fuel can break down, leaving carbon deposits on the fuel injectors. These deposits clog your car's injectors like a snotty nose, meaning not enough fuel flows into the cylinders.
Deposits can also absorb fuel like a sponge, meaning some of it goes to waste. Since V-Power Nitro+ can clean deposits away and prevents them forming in the first place, there is every likelihood you'll get further on a tank of fuel.

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:21 am

Shell SUL is 97 RON iirc.
2004 Merlot 3.0i SE. Pretty sure I'd rather drive it than polish it.
1993 Mk1 Mx5 S-LTD Home brew turbo conversion. :fuelfire:

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:20 am

Another vote for Premium.

My local garage is a BP and I exclusively use BP Ultimate in my 35i (but I would never consider using it for our run of the mill Polo). Have used a few tanks of Tesco fuel to test the difference, seemed a fraction flatter but possibly a placebo.

Given I have spent a fair amount on enhancing the car's performance, for the sake of an extra £4 at fill up (usually off set by slightly greater range) it seems a no brainer. I'd only spend the £4 on a pint of beer otherwise...
2019 BMW M40i First Edition Frozen Orange
2014 BMW M4 DCT Yas Marina Blue

Previous Zeds:
2010 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Evolve: 360BHP)
2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i manual

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:12 pm

paul1969 wrote: I put the more pricey stuff in the other day by mistake
Hopefully you dont stick diesel in by mistake one day as well :o :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

benv6

Post by benv6 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:26 pm

I have tried all sorts and tbh I never noticed any difference on my 35i so I usually just go with the cheapest fuel and add some REDEX to it sometimes. Every now and then I use the NITRO for cleaning purposes.
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Interesting fork to the question as well, in terms of whether it's more advantageous to buy petrol from supermarkets or the main petrol stations.

20 or so years ago my grandad who used to run a station would advise against using the supermarket ones as he said the fuel wasn't as good. But that was in Canada and I've always wondered if the same held true here.

But then again, wasn't it only 10 years ago there was that major problem with cars engines with Tesco petrol: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -bill.html
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:14 pm

He's my opinion, regular unleaded for NA engine and 97-99 or V power for anything turbocharged. :thumbsup:
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa