Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Please help - Non-RFT Tyre Change Issue

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Hey guys,

Please could you help? I recently had the RFT tyres on my E89 35i changed to Non-RFTs Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 3s - had these on my previous E85 Z4 and had no issues whatsoever.

Since the tyre change the car has been handling terribly, even dangerously at times as the car snakes / wanders around the road dangerously at speeds of 60mph+

The tyre pressures are ok, I've gone off the owners manual (only used 1 pressure gauge so far) The tyres have had well over 100 miles now so all ok on that. The drive home tonight was horrendous handling wise - it wasn't cold, 9 degrees centigrade on the way home tonight so I don't think it'd be anything to do with that.

I didn't experience any of these issues before the tyre change.

Please can anyone suggest on where to start on this or what this might be?

Thank you

Nathan
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Are you feeling any vibrations through the steering wheel? I'd suggest getting your wheels balanced (if not done already) and a 4 wheel alignment carried out?
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Is it a handling feel or is it slippery tyre feel ?
First being poorly fitted/ balanced tyres & second could be similar to what some forum members have experienced with new GYs which have been rectified once the tyres have properly bedded in ( 400/500 miles ? )
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I have to say my Eagles took two or three hundred summer miles before the slippery feel went and were OK. They are asymmetric so just check they have the fitting instruction 'outside' (or "lado exterior" if they are euro supplied like mine) visible.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Wrs wrote:Are you feeling any vibrations through the steering wheel? I'd suggest getting your wheels balanced (if not done already) and a 4 wheel alignment carried out?
I don't think there's been any. Haven't had a balance since I've owned the car for about 6 weeks now, but I know the dealer I bought it off had it done before I bought it. yeah I think that would be a good idea!
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Have you had the tracking checked?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 pm

nathannjay wrote:
The tyre pressures are ok, I've gone off the owners manual

I didn't experience any of these issues before the tyre change

Thank you

Nathan
If the rubber doesn't settle in it may be worth playing with pressures as different brand tyres do perform better at different pressures , id suggest 33-34psi fronts / 36-38psi rears & try up or down from there
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:27 pm

nathannjay wrote:
Wrs wrote:Are you feeling any vibrations through the steering wheel? I'd suggest getting your wheels balanced (if not done already) and a 4 wheel alignment carried out?
I don't think there's been any. Haven't had a balance since I've owned the car for about 6 weeks now, but I know the dealer I bought it off had it done before I bought it. yeah I think that would be a good idea!
So the wheels weren't balanced after the tyres change? Even if they have, I'd start with getting the weights checked (this was the problem I had when I changed from run flats to MPSS last year) and if not sorted then go for a proper alignment. Preferably a Hunter system. Best of luck mate & welcome to the forum btw. :thumbsup:

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 pm

mr wilks wrote:Is it a handling feel or is it slippery tyre feel ?
First being poorly fitted/ balanced tyres & second could be similar to what some forum members have experienced with new GYs which have been rectified once the tyres have properly bedded in ( 400/500 miles ? )
I'd say both handling and slippery tyre. My drive to work is all back roads, ( 20/25 mins in total depending if I'm stuck behind Mavis in her Micra) so it's not ideal haha.
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:34 pm

mr wilks wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
The tyre pressures are ok, I've gone off the owners manual

I didn't experience any of these issues before the tyre change

Thank you

Nathan
If the rubber doesn't settle in it may be worth playing with pressures as different brand tyres do perform better at different pressures , id suggest 33-34psi fronts / 36-38psi rears & try up or down from there
Thanks Mr Wilks, I'll go with that before it goes back to the garage to see if there's any improvement. Im currently running 18s on the Z. Bmw state the rears have got to be 42psi? I thought that sounded a bit high, my previous E85 ran the exact same tyre and alloy size and only needed the 37-38 you suggested.
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Where's Busterboo when you need him?

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Wrs wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
So the wheels weren't balanced after the tyres change? Even if they have, I'd start with getting the weights checked (this was the problem I had when I changed from run flats to MPSS last year) and if not sorted then go for a proper alignment. Preferably a Hunter system. Best of luck mate & welcome to the forum btw. :thumbsup:
Thanks Wrs :thumbsup: the balancing was done, just probably not very well! It was done by a local mobile fitter at my work on a cold day last week. I can understand that they'd want to get the job done quickly but hopefully not at the expense of the Z feeling dangerous. I forgot to mention that the fitter inflated one of the rear tyres to the correct 42psi as per the manual / door sticker and the other rear one only to 29psi!! I corrected this later on the day but still experiencing the above issues.
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:46 pm

nathannjay wrote:
Wrs wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
Thanks Wrs :thumbsup: the balancing was done, just probably not very well! It was done by a local mobile fitter at my work on a cold day last week. I can understand that they'd want to get the job done quickly but hopefully not at the expense of the Z feeling dangerous. I forgot to mention that the fitter inflated one of the rear tyres to the correct 42psi as per the manual / door sticker and the other rear one only to 29psi!! I corrected this later on the day but still experiencing the above issues.
Our experiences are very alike! I used a mobile fitter to swap my run flat to the MPSS tyres and after the car not handling or feeling right for about 100 miles I took my 35is to a local garage and the weights were way off. £24 & problem solved.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 pm

nathannjay wrote:
Wrs wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
Have you rechecked the pressures since last week when you initially adjusted them? If not then I would double check them in case you have a bead seal issue, or even picked up a slow puncture.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Wrs wrote:Where's Busterboo when you need him?
:driving:
Vidi, vici, veni