Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Please help - Non-RFT Tyre Change Issue

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Wrs wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
Wrs wrote:Are you feeling any vibrations through the steering wheel? I'd suggest getting your wheels balanced (if not done already) and a 4 wheel alignment carried out?
I don't think there's been any. Haven't had a balance since I've owned the car for about 6 weeks now, but I know the dealer I bought it off had it done before I bought it. yeah I think that would be a good idea!
So the wheels weren't balanced after the tyres change? Even if they have, I'd start with getting the weights checked (this was the problem I had when I changed from run flats to MPSS last year) and if not sorted then go for a proper alignment. Preferably a Hunter system. Best of luck mate & welcome to the forum btw. :thumbsup:
What weights are you reffering too? Will be handy to know for when I change over to MPSS! Thanks

alex

Post by alex » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:54 pm

sunnydays wrote:
Wrs wrote:
nathannjay wrote:
I don't think there's been any. Haven't had a balance since I've owned the car for about 6 weeks now, but I know the dealer I bought it off had it done before I bought it. yeah I think that would be a good idea!
So the wheels weren't balanced after the tyres change? Even if they have, I'd start with getting the weights checked (this was the problem I had when I changed from run flats to MPSS last year) and if not sorted then go for a proper alignment. Preferably a Hunter system. Best of luck mate & welcome to the forum btw. :thumbsup:
What weights are you reffering too? Will be handy to know for when I change over to MPSS! Thanks
I assume he's talking about the small weights they add to the wheels to make sure they are balanced.
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better
35iS - Space grey, red leather and 19" 326Ms - now gone to a fellow forum member

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Bedding in take 250 to 500 miles....
Also could be a balance problem.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm

alex wrote:
sunnydays wrote:
Wrs wrote:
I assume he's talking about the small weights they add to the wheels to make sure they are balanced.
Correct.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Are the tyres by any chance uni rotational ?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:48 pm

raymond.harper wrote:Are the tyres by any chance uni rotational ?
The Eagle F1A2's are asymmetric hence my suggestion previously to check that the fitting instruction on the sidewall is visible, it says "outside" (or "lado exterior" if they are euro supplied). I must admit I didn't know the difference between directional and asymmetric until I got the Eagles 8)
111014-directional-asymmetrical-tread-design.jpg
111014-directional-asymmetrical-tread-design.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 849 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

The asymmetric labels are the first thing to check and then the balance weights to see if they're missing. Goodyear don't make tyres that make your car handle badly on purpose! Last, find out from anyone on here what pressures they run on your model with those tyres. If all that fails visit the fitter and get them to sort it with balancing/alignment/toe-in checks and if that doesn't work find someone, with all the right machinery, who does set-ups on racing cars, and if that still doesn't work ... buy some run-flats! ... :)
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 am

Kingfisher wrote:The asymmetric labels are the first thing to check and then the balance weights to see if they're missing. Goodyear don't make tyres that make your car handle badly on purpose! Last, find out from anyone on here what pressures they run on your model with those tyres. If all that fails visit the fitter and get them to sort it with balancing/alignment/toe-in checks and if that doesn't work find someone, with all the right machinery, who does set-ups on racing cars, and if that still doesn't work ... buy some run-flats! ... :)
The last E89 did not give me any confidence at speed on the Autobahn last year - 100/120 ish it seemed like a constant battle. Constant correction was needed.
The dealer had just fitted new Bridgestones and I had checked all pressures with an analogue, top quality gauge.

In the Uk at Uk motorway speeds it was fine!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm

ronk wrote: The last E89 did not give me any confidence at speed on the Autobahn last year - 100/120 ish it seemed like a constant battle. Constant correction was needed.
The dealer had just fitted new Bridgestones and I had checked all pressures with an analogue, top quality gauge.

In the Uk at Uk motorway speeds it was fine!
This is a description of (some of) the ways my Bridgestone run-flats performed.

That said, they did much worse things, too. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Ewazix wrote:
raymond.harper wrote:Are the tyres by any chance uni rotational ?
The Eagle F1A2's are asymmetric hence my suggestion previously to check that the fitting instruction on the sidewall is visible, it says "outside" (or "lado exterior" if they are euro supplied). I must admit I didn't know the difference between directional and asymmetric until I got the Eagles 8)

111014-directional-asymmetrical-tread-design.jpg
actually AS3's do not have "outside" etc on the outside of the tyre.. they have a big marker on the inside of the tyre, it of course says "INSIDE" haha :)

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys - I've taken your advice and after 400 miles and a wheel balance at my local garage it's now all sorted!
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:55 pm

nathannjay wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys - I've taken your advice and after 400 miles and a wheel balance at my local garage it's now all sorted!
Great news!! :thumbsup:
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

benv6

Post by benv6 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 am

great stuff !!

Bedding issue I guess :)
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

nathannjay

Post by nathannjay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:07 pm

benv6 wrote:great stuff !!

Love your motor - mine is the exact same except I want your M-Sport Bumper! :thumbsup:
Current:
Z4 E89 sDrive35i DCT

Gone:
Z4 E85 2.5i Manual
Z4 E85 2.2i Manual

benv6

Post by benv6 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:49 pm

nathannjay wrote:
benv6 wrote:great stuff !!

Love your motor - mine is the exact same except I want your M-Sport Bumper! :thumbsup:
Haha .. thanks Nathan .. and I would like your DCT plz ... Initially I wanted a manual but now regretting not having bought the DCT in such a car but hey ...
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage