Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What do you do when

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 am

DLH wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:
Z4Rick wrote:For what it's worth, this scheme of mine works. The service manager at my dealer assures me the fob without the battery will not lose its coding. I took my spare fob, removed the key for my wallet and placed the fob and its battery in a ziploc bag in the glove box.
So now, if any scroat breaks a window or pops the door lock to rifle your glove box, they'll find the key and be able to take the car as well... and, if that happens, you may find that the insurance won't pay out as you've left the key in the car :o
They'll surely only find the fob, as the key will still be in his wallet? Will the fob alone start the car? :?
The fob is the key, the key part that the op is talking about is the manual one for just opening the door.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

willgill

What do you do when

Post by willgill » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 am

aye fob will start the car all day long

Z4Rick

What do you do when

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm

"So now, if any scroat breaks a window or pops the door lock to rifle your glove box, they'll find the key and be able to take the car as well... and, if that happens, you may find that the insurance won't pay out as you've left the key in the car "

PerryGunn is right, of course, and his comment got me thinking.

I found that in the UK, only 38 of 145 offenses against BMWs, per 10,000 cars, is a "Theft of", and only 6 are Z4s. (.06%). (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/crime/bmw) In the US, the NHTSA says, (https://one.nhtsa.gov/apps/jsp/theft/theftRates.htm) that 2% of the 1982 car production rate in 2013, or 4 Z4s, were stolen, but that is the highest rate for Z4s in their database! For every other year, the rate was below 1%! In fact, their entire database for theft of ALL BMWs is 2.86% of production. By any standard, theft of the Z4 is damned rare! SO, I would postulate that if theft of your Z is your primary fear, my scheme for re-animating a Z4 when your fob is lost is, perhaps, not the best choice.

In my case however, I live in a very rural area, keep my Z in a locked garage, don't drive it 3-4 months of the year, and spend a great deal of my time mucking around boats and marinas. That last bit is crucial for me. In ten years of being an instructor of racing small sailboats, I have fallen overboard, or off of a dock 3 times. I have also lost one pair of sunglasses, a cell phone and keys a total of 4 times. It is a likelihood that I am a far greater risk to my fob disappearing than theft of my car is. I am very happy to accept the risk of theft over my own ineptness any day.

As Clint Eastwood in the role of Dirty Harry famously said, "A man has to know his own limitations."

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 pm

DLH wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:
Z4Rick wrote:For what it's worth, this scheme of mine works. The service manager at my dealer assures me the fob without the battery will not lose its coding. I took my spare fob, removed the key for my wallet and placed the fob and its battery in a ziploc bag in the glove box.
So now, if any scroat breaks a window or pops the door lock to rifle your glove box, they'll find the key and be able to take the car as well... and, if that happens, you may find that the insurance won't pay out as you've left the key in the car :o
They'll surely only find the fob, as the key will still be in his wallet? Will the fob alone start the car? :?
Oh yes, I missed the 'removed the key for my wallet' :oops: but you only need the fob for keyless start
Last edited by PerryGunn on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Z4Rick wrote:you are out somewhere and your key/fob's battery dies, or gets soaked with water or you just lose it?
Turn to the missus and ask her to dig out the spare key from her handbag.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:10 pm

BMW assist subscription every year and don't worry. :thumbsup:
As individuals we will never cover every base.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4Rick

What do you do when

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Marlon wrote:
Z4Rick wrote:you are out somewhere and your key/fob's battery dies, or gets soaked with water or you just lose it?
Turn to the missus and ask her to dig out the spare key from her handbag.
Makes sense Marlon, unless your wife takes drugs for her adult ADD like mine. Then it's a sure bet her keys are right where she last left them - in the fridge.

Z4Rick

What do you do when

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:17 pm

ronk wrote:BMW assist subscription every year and don't worry. :thumbsup:
As individuals we will never cover every base.

Yeah, I checked on that. $200/year seems pricey...and then I read this:

"SPECIAL NOTE: After December 31, 2016, the on-board cellular technology used for delivering numerous BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist features will no longer be supported on most 2013 and earlier vehicles." (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ ... rlier.aspx)

I, of course, have a 2013

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Z4Rick wrote: In my case however, I live in a very rural area, keep my Z in a locked garage, don't drive it 3-4 months of the year, and spend a great deal of my time mucking around boats and marinas. That last bit is crucial for me. In ten years of being an instructor of racing small sailboats, I have fallen overboard, or off of a dock 3 times. I have also lost one pair of sunglasses, a cell phone and keys a total of 4 times. It is a likelihood that I am a far greater risk to my fob disappearing than theft of my car is. I am very happy to accept the risk of theft over my own ineptness any day.
Have you never heard of dry boxes?
When I used to go diving I would put my car key in a dry box and clip it inside one of my drysuit pockets.
Did around 200 dives like this and never lost my keys.
You can also get keyrings that float in case you drop them in the water, Im sure if you spend time around boats and marinas though you must have heard of these.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Nictrix wrote: Have you never heard of dry boxes?
When I used to go diving I would put my car key in a dry box and clip it inside one of my drysuit pockets.
Aren't you supposed to have a shore based buddy who knows your whereabouts , dive times etc?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

ronk wrote:
Aren't you supposed to have a shore based buddy who knows your whereabouts , dive times etc?
That can be difficult to do. Not everybody wants to be up and out at 7 on a weekend morning heading for a sea loch to sit around watching bubbles.
The way we normally done it was to tell our partners where we were going and give them rough timescales of when we would be back or when we would call them. Although most of the time we just went where we felt like on the day.
Always dived in pairs though and it saved my life on one occasion.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

What do you do when

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Nictrix wrote:
ronk wrote:
That can be difficult to do. Not everybody wants to be up and out at 7 on a weekend morning heading for a sea loch to sit around watching bubbles.
The way we normally done it was to tell our partners where we were going and give them rough timescales of when we would be back or when we would call them. Although most of the time we just went where we felt like on the day.
Always dived in pairs though and it saved my life on one occasion.
I wasn't too far off the mark then? :thumbsup: