Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

External Door Handle Removal

TOM14S

External Door Handle Removal

Post by TOM14S » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:28 am

I wanted to remove the external door handles for a project I was doing on my z4.
Now I can usually figure out how things come apart however, I was completely stumped by the door handles so hit the interent for some info.
The only thread I could find with decent information on how to remove the external door handles was:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ?p=2450085

Trouble is the pictures and information are not very clear at all and it states the requirement for BMW special tools.

So with a rough idea of what i needed to do i set about removing the door handles without the special tools :evil:

I used a 100mm long narrow screw driver and hooked rod.

Remove the plastic inner stop from the end of the Door, (see link above should you need more detailed info on this bit)

Shine a decent light into the hole and you should see this:

The circled black rectangle is where you insert the screw driver. You will not feel any resistance untill it is in about 75mm. It then needs a firm thump and it will move the part required and go in fully. I used the palm of my hand but i've got 'farmer hands' lol :slappy: you might want to use a rubber hammer or similar. The 100mm long screw driver was perfect length as the handle fouling on the door stopped it going in excessivly far.

The red arrow shows the orientation of the hole to hook. The hole is through the bronze coloured metal and is found 40mm in from the surface of the grommit. once located push inwards (towards the door hinges). (When i did the second door i actually just used a screw driver on the end of the metal piece to push it inwards as required).

The door handle will then come out easily. remove from the bottom first.

The next pic shows how the back of the handle. the two hooks are what locate it.

In the picture below you can see how pushing the metal tab inwards slides the locking tabs (circled) sideways allowing the handle to be removed. The picture shows the locking tabs slid half way accross.

To relocate the handles. put the handle in top first.
Locate the hole in the bronze coloured metal plate with the hook and pull towards you. (away from the door hinges).

Hope this helps clarify the instructions from the first link.
Tom

Mangozac

Re: External Door Handle Removal

Post by Mangozac » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:13 am

So I tried contacting Tom but thus far no response. I've got to pull off my door handle to fix an issue with my passenger window not closing properly (a plastic stop introduced on 04 onwards models needs installing). Although these instructions are certainly clearer than the TIS for the procedure, I do have a question I was hoping somebody could help with:

Which direction do you push the screwdriver once it's wedged into that rectangular hole and what is the purpose of that step?

When I do the operation I'll try to take some more pics to document it. Thanks in advance!
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

rudey

Post by rudey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I need to swap over my door luck can I use the same procedure ?

marksdesigns

Post by marksdesigns » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:07 am

mate, whilst that handle is out - you could fit some LEDs under the handle like on the newer BMWs... :thumbsup:
Z4 - its black with black wheels

dougalf1

Post by dougalf1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks for the post Tom,
Did as you said and used a screwdriver and rubber mallet to shift the bronze coloured locking tab (didnt bother with a hooked bar)
it was bit was a bit seized so applied WD40 before putting it back together, then pushed it back across from the inside (had the inner panel off to do the bowden cable) which saved using a hooked bar to pull it back from the outside.

rudey

Post by rudey » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:43 pm

i still need to get the lock barrel out :(

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 pm

If this DIY could be detailed a little bit more this would be a perfect information.
I also replaced my right door lock - passenger side (EU spec car. You know - driving on the right side of the road :) ). But I am postponing the job of replacing drivers side door lock 'cause you also need to remove the key lock and door-handle which, as mentioned above, require special tools. I don't want something falling apart in my hand.

And a friendly advice. If you cannot stand the metal sound of door closing - replace the lock. It's not that expensive. After the lock is replaced door-shut noise is no more *clunk*, but proper German sausage *TUP*.

JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:35 am

Oh man, what a pain in the ass. 2 hours and finally success.

There is a tab at the very end, but it doesnt involve pushing in... Ill try to take some pictures to make it a bit easier.

JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 am

From the original instructions where its kind of unclear. I tried to take a picture looking down on it from the side.

My picture, with the numbers from the original directions.