Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Front Bumper Removal - DIY by mister_roger

Post by gannet » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP - Had to do this yesterday to fit my new washer pump after the cover bracket broke losing my washer cover :(

Clear and concise helped get the job done reasonably quickly, thanks :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

goose

Post by goose » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

mister_roger,

Firstly can I say what a great couple of write ups! If I ever get brave enough to do this sort of project, then I'll be sure to take a look at your guides.

I have a question about the kidney grill removal. You state that they just pulll out with a bit of force? Are the no screws used at all?

I took a look a mine yesterday, and they look to be glued (?) onto the bumper, can this be the case
:?

mister_roger

Post by mister_roger » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi goose,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the kidney grills, they should just snap into place. It is secured to the bumper with plastic locking tabs around the edge, but should be able to pull right out with some wiggling and firm pressure. There is a backing plate behind the bumper to which the grill attaches to and this piece is glued to the bumper, but the grill piece itself is detachable.

Best of luck to you,
-Roger

goose

Post by goose » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Ive compared mine with that of a collegues BMW (not a z), and mine have definitly been fixed in with some form of adhesive at some point in the past.

Careful cutting job required me thinks

melbs

Post by melbs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks to this guide I removed my original bumper without a hitch.

Mounting my aerokit however is a different matter so I would like to add some additional pointers to those who are going to DIY an aerokit bumper.

Things you need:
Hex socket set, size 8 will be used for removing 7 hex screw mounts at the bottom of the bumper, size 10 will be used to remove/mount plastic hex screw of badge.
Allen wrench set to remove the 7 bolt mounts on top of the bumper (forgot what size i used)
Precision screw driver set to push the pins in the wheel well
Torx 20 to loosen screw in headlight mount

Part number for aerokit front bumper and washer covers:

Various tips:
1. when removing the bumper attachment from the fender, it is easier if you pull down and pull out. if you just pull it out, you can damage the teeth of your bumper. make sure the plastic mount screwed to the metal fender after you remove the bumper is aligned, all tabs clipped and mounted properly before you put in the bumper.

2. adjusting the headlights is a must (at least in my case) when putting in the aerokit bumper. these can be accessed once bumper has been removed. only 4 screws hold the headlight in place. one on the left and right and two at the bottom.

3. there are only 4 hex screws mounts at the bottom of the aerokit bumper and the left and right most screws will bend your bumper

4. make sure to check mounting holes on top of the bumper (7 holes) and at the bottom (4 holes) before mounting the bumper. mine came with one bottom hole un-punched. i had to drill it before mounting the bumper

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am

Thinking of changing to an M bumper. Whats the deal with losing the fog lights? Do you remove the whole assembly, just having the cables left dangling, get any bulb errors in the car or anything?
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

TH3R4POR

Post by TH3R4POR » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm

just had to remove mine to fix a leaking washer pipe, great write up, many thanks :thumbsup:

Hark

Post by Hark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 pm

An old thread I know, but I just wanted to say thank you for writing this. I had to fit a new headlight washer today and BMW wanted £150 to do it. Managed it in under 2 hrs, having never removed a bumper before. Many thanks.

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

ThreeOZ

Post by ThreeOZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

melbs wrote:Thanks to this guide I removed my original bumper without a hitch.

Mounting my aerokit however is a different matter so I would like to add some additional pointers to those who are going to DIY an aerokit bumper.

Things you need:
Hex socket set, size 8 will be used for removing 7 hex screw mounts at the bottom of the bumper, size 10 will be used to remove/mount plastic hex screw of badge.
Allen wrench set to remove the 7 bolt mounts on top of the bumper (forgot what size i used)
Precision screw driver set to push the pins in the wheel well
Torx 20 to loosen screw in headlight mount

Part number for aerokit front bumper and washer covers:

Various tips:
1. when removing the bumper attachment from the fender, it is easier if you pull down and pull out. if you just pull it out, you can damage the teeth of your bumper. make sure the plastic mount screwed to the metal fender after you remove the bumper is aligned, all tabs clipped and mounted properly before you put in the bumper.

2. adjusting the headlights is a must (at least in my case) when putting in the aerokit bumper. these can be accessed once bumper has been removed. only 4 screws hold the headlight in place. one on the left and right and two at the bottom.

3. there are only 4 hex screws mounts at the bottom of the aerokit bumper and the left and right most screws will bend your bumper

4. make sure to check mounting holes on top of the bumper (7 holes) and at the bottom (4 holes) before mounting the bumper. mine came with one bottom hole un-punched. i had to drill it before mounting the bumper

Regarding tip #1. Yes you are correct. The TIS manual illustrates that you must pull down and then out.

Regarding tip #3. The aerokit goody bag includes two extended lenghth screws and plastic spacers. These spacers prevent the "bending" of the bumper.

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 am

Just found this thread,great write up/pics ,mines got washers so with CJs input i feel confident to attempt this now :thumbsup: After my brush with a dry stone wall,the wife TOLD me i was too close,but i ignored her as usual :D :headbang:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 am

That is ok, she will forget about that in about, say 30 years or so? :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 pm

pvr wrote:That is ok, she will forget about that in about, say 30 years or so? :D
PVR,You`re forgetting now,she`s a woman ,they NEVER forget :lol:

andrewr

Post by andrewr » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for a great guide, I used this when changing over my headlights.

I have one tip for anyone with headlamp washers - there's no need to remove the headlamp washer pipe, the pipe runs along the bottom of the bumper and is clipped at the bottom with metal clips. If you unclip the pipe from the metal clips that run along the bottom, this will allow you to remove the bumper without having to disconnect or clamp the pipes. Obviously this is only applicable if you're removing and refitting the same bumper to change the headlights or to gain access behind the bumper, If you need to completely detach the bumper then the washers will need to be detached as indicated in the thread.

I've never removed a bumper before and managed to do the whole job, including removing and refitting the headlights in 2.5 hours. Its really not that complicated.

One other thing the thread doesn't mention, but I found that some of the mounting screws had obviously not been removed since the car was built, so be prepared for a bit of elbow grease because they were fastened very tightly and took a little effort to unsrew.

Andrew.
Z4 3.0i: Sterling Grey, 107 Ellipsoids, Sat Nav, Folding Mirrors. PDC, De-tongo'd, Heated Electric //M Seats. H&R Springs

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Wow. This forum is psychic. Just got back from a wee drive and after staring at the front bumper for a long time, and checking the distance between the bumper and the wheel I have come to the conclusion that it's not fitted quite right. Spacers aren't helping, and it is some rubbing that's shown it up, but one side of the bumper is definitely sitting closer to the wheel than the other. Came on here, and this thread has been bumped from the past - how weird is that :?

So. Going to order some new side bumper clips and trim fastenings from BMW and have a pop at this next weekend :thumbsup:

If it doesn't work then I may have to lose my front spacers, or at least get smaller ones :(
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Let us know how you get on mate! :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.