Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dent Removal Technique

no fit state

Re: Dent Removal Technique

Post by no fit state » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:30 am

Seen this type of video before. Never seen a PDR guy use this method, but see how it could work. Would love to see it first hand.
Z4MC Imola red

doane2u

Post by doane2u » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:28 pm

I did some searching on Youtube, etc., and the conclusion seems to be that this only works temporary and the dent returns? BTW the link at the beginning doesn't work anymore, I know, it's old. When I first found this I was hoping it might be a solution for me as I have a couple of small dings on the car that look sort of like hail damage. Oh well...

doane2u

Post by doane2u » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:55 pm

I have several small dents, bebe shot size, they almost look like hail dents. I saw a video on Youtube where they are using these little discs that are different sizes to match the dent size. Then they put some sort of glue on it and use a machine, similar to a gear puller to pull the dent out. Next they put a dissolving fluid on the glue which loosens it to peel off the glue and the dent is pretty much gone.. seems to usually take a couple of tries. Has anyone had any experience with this system?
See this video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aut ... FORM=VIRE1

neemo

Post by neemo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:52 am

Hi
the only problem with the dent lifter is that you can lift it too high
turning your low spot into a high spot.

the glue is hot glue from a glue gun.
and rubbing alcohol is used to remove the glue.

wurth do a set but its pretty expensive.
you can have a look on eBay for a Chinese set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Dent-Lif ... 1202566710

to be on the safe side
id search for your nearest PDR tech (paintless Dent Removal)

doane2u

Post by doane2u » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 am

I ended up paying a guy who has a mobile dent removal service. He came out first and gave me an estimate and it sounded reasonable. His name is TIP with "Perfect Touch" in Monterey, CA.
Well, I'm sort of amazed.. almost every dent has been removed and 90% of them would be impossible to find now. I don't know how he did it but it's almost like magic. The car looks so much better it's amazing and it wasn't terribly expensive.
His technique was to go in from the back side and push the dent back out. He had to remove tail lights, door panels, wheel well panels, etc. to do it, but he's been doing it for 20 years and know just how to get at them.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Unfortunately I understand that this cold technique is nonsense, it could theoretically work on a minor dent where there has been no 'stretch' in the metal and it is simply 'dimpled' inwards, but those are exactly the sort of repairs that can be 'popped' (probably with your finger!) leaving an undetectable repair anyway and I have seen that done. I'd challenge anybody to claim first hand sight of this cold technique working?

Coincidentally I picked up my wife's car from my trusted dent and scratch magician yesterday. He's done stuff for me for about 10 years and will always give a % estimate of the quality he thinks he can achieve according to the nature of the 'injury'. In this case a nasty shopping trolley dent courtesy of an unidentified cretin had caught and 'stretched' the metal. He estimated a 95% repair or it would require the door and blend-in respray along the side (its a tricky light pearl silver). I'm happy with the result which can only just be seen once pointed out and in the right light but is probably nearer 98% undetectable. At a fraction of the price of a major re-paint I'm happy.

AFTER
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

doane2u

Post by doane2u » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what they can do. Of the 15 or so small dents I can only barley see a few of them and it's only because I remember where they were.

Z4Rob

Dent Removal Technique

Post by Z4Rob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Link no longer seems to work... :(
2008 E85 2.0 Exclusive Roadster
Stratus Grey
:driving:
Based in West Kent
:!: Full Carly diagnostics and coding :!: