Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 Refurbishment and Customisation

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 108 Refurbishment and Customisation

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the compliment - I still owe some decent pictures once I see the sun.

Lol - I left the air tools alone, but I should have made clear that once 'cracked' I did use a power driver to spin them out
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:47 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Thanks for the compliment - I still owe some decent pictures once I see the sun.
Yup, I'm interested to see more pics before I go ahead with my choice of colours :thumbsup:

I'm tempted by grey centres with silver rims (all powedercoated), or vice-versa. But I'll probably wuss out and take the safe option of silver all over! Part of me thinks a darker wheel can look great on a silver car though, but the 108s look great as is...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm

a11y wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Thanks for the compliment - I still owe some decent pictures once I see the sun.
Yup, I'm interested to see more pics before I go ahead with my choice of colours :thumbsup:

I'm tempted by grey centres with silver rims (all powedercoated), or vice-versa. But I'll probably wuss out and take the safe option of silver all over! Part of me thinks a darker wheel can look great on a silver car though, but the 108s look great as is...
I think this is a mod that you really have to 'tune' to the cars colour and perhaps what you are doing as the overall theme for the car. I too loved the 108's 'as is' but Herminator's photoshop work gave me enough confidence to give it a try for this smoked chrome look.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:33 am

a11y wrote: Part of me thinks a darker wheel can look great on a silver car though, but the 108s look great as is...
well look below... :wub:
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:48 pm

OK so I owe a few photos of the customised rims once the snow went for those who have posted and PM'd me. I apologise for the Zed not being clean - not easy in the middle of Winter, UK and don't be fooled by the 30 minute 'sun' window of today :headbang:

I think these show better the reflective and smoked chrome aspect of the 'stars'

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:57 pm

me likey :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Nice pics. :thumbsup:

Looks like the darker center makes the brake discs stand out even more, especially with those red callipers. Your planned brake upgrade will be shown off even more :wink:

Unless you trade cars for another Z4 in black, with manual gearbox.... :|
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Herminator wrote:Nice pics. :thumbsup:

Looks like the darker center makes the brake discs stand out even more, especially with those red callipers. Your planned brake upgrade will be shown off even more :wink:

Unless you trade cars for another Z4 in black, with manual gearbox.... :|
Yep - my E46 330 calipers and carriers are on the bench and a set of 4 EBS Ultimax discs end EBC Greenstuff pads are in the post :thumbsup:

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Nice, how much are they?
Certainly a different pattern on them, looks a bit like morse code :P

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Most sites seemed to come out at around £400 for the rotors and then £60 for each set of pads plus £20 p&P, so around £500 to £550. Managed a deal of £380 'all in' by going direct to a wholesaler, but can't post where :wink: PM if you need to know

EBC actually do various styles inc turbo rotors, but they tend to be noisy (so suppliers tell me), so I've opted for these. Less aggressive braking and presumably pad wear, top UK manufacturer and coupled to low dust pads. Would have gone Brembo but hard to find Z4 rears to match and wanted to steer clear of Ebay specials.

easty027

Post by easty027 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I like, they look really good, especially on your Z. i have been thinking of doing mine for some time after seeing the set on bmautosports website, the only thing that would concern me is the fact that the wheel could visually look smaller, as you are highliting the 'inner' rim, obviously being a smaller diameter than the outside, if you see what i mean.

When i was looking for my z I saw a set of black 108's on a grey z4 and it made the wheels look slightly smaller, from your pictures though it looks as if the colour is just right not to reduce the visual size, you must be well happy with them , and the fact they wont bubble!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 am

cj10jeeper wrote:I think this is a mod that you really have to 'tune' to the cars colour
Excellent pics CJ :thumbsup: and I think your comment you posted earlier is very true: yours look so right on your car because of the colour match. I see what you mean about an overall theme. I'll probably play it safe and stick with silver when I get around to it (tools are ordered, FK452s are on the way too).
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

If I keep my Z4 the alloys will be getting refurbed at some point this year.
I've been playing around with colours....
Bottom left is standard.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:33 pm

I'm not sure which I like most :| Probably top left as the very dark seem to look a bit too race or steath and I do like the contrast on your black Z

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm

I'll be leaving the pic as my desktop at work for a while, to see what I like over time.
Looking at it whilst at home now though, everything is much darker, a different monitor can make a huge difference. The flat black ones loose all their detail on this monitor :(

I'm leaning towards keeping them silver, or the top left, similar to your finish but maybe a touch blacker. Maybe by the summer I'll have a decision :tumbleweed: