Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken Pop Up Nav Screen Plastic Housing Replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
drzed

Post by drzed » Sun May 11, 2014 9:49 am

My 2003 Z4's Nav screen (have the professional pop up Navigation) has just had the rear plastic shell come out after the plastic ring around the Left hand side where the motor turns it broke. So just because a tiny and thin plastic ring around the housing has broken it looks like I'm up for a VERY VERY expensive repair job. :thumbsdown:

The Nav and screen still work but with the broken plastic housing the screen will not pop up or move and the rear plastic housing won't even clip on.

Any ideas how I could repair it without thousands of dollars? It seems the Nav screen comes as one unit and even the cheapest on Ebay is over $500. Anyone have a non working Nav screen they are selling?

I am devastated with this as this is yet another in a myriad or costly repairs I've had to make on this car lately.

mj2k

Re: Broken Pop Up Nav Screen Plastic Housing Replacement

Post by mj2k » Sun May 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Could it be plastic welded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:04 pm

mj2k wrote:Could it be plastic welded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
This.

Strong epoxy should do just fine!

You can't buy the parts separately, but you can find deals on eBay if you patient...
:zzzz:

drzed

Post by drzed » Tue May 13, 2014 1:53 am

Thanks guys for the advice. I checked with BMW here in Australia and they want $4000 for a replacement Monitor :o :o as you can't buy just the plastic housing. Even the BMW guy said he wouldn't bother for a 9 year old Z4.

I called a place that does plastic welding but they said all the electronics must be removed as the heat guns would damage them and suggested I might be better off using superglue. :cry:

I will have to rip up the dashboard and remove the whole screen unit and see if I can somehow patch it up....can't believe the repair cost from a small failure of a $5 piece of plastic :headbang:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 am

it's piss easy to remove dude..

Take out the central vents, and you'll see two screws at the top corners -> take them out.
Back of the screen (windscreen edge) you'll find a central section of the screen housing that will pop off -> Pop it off and remove the three screws
You'll now be able to lift out the screen (start with the right edge -> lift it up and then move the screen right and up to give enough clearance for the motor.
Disconnect the wiring harness and then the screen is out of the car completely.

Now, to get to the actual scree - it'll be piss easy with the back already removed!

Disconnect the cables from either side of the board that lead out through the side holes, then remove the blue clip you can see in the first pic.
Flip the unit over and on the other side to the motor, you'll see a small black plastic ring that's sort of like a big black washer.
Carefully prise this away from the hole (making sure to release the little back clip - you'll see the one I mean ;)) as you do.
Once removed, you should be able to wiggle the screen up and out, carefully feeding the cables through the holes as you go.

Finally, if memory serves, undo the four bolts holding the top circuit board, carefully lift it and remove the four bolts holding the green screen mounts.
Carefully lift the whole thing, making sure you carefully disconnect the light sensor and any other cables that are getting tight.

And then you're done ;)

All in all - it's about 30 minutes work the first time, and about 5 every time after that!
Really is simple dude :)

Putting it back together is just the reverse, and once all done, simply click the screen cover in place, sit back and enjoy your handywork!

drzed

Post by drzed » Fri May 16, 2014 10:05 am

Sk93, my many thanks for your detailed instructions, they were INVALUABLE while I was pulling it all apart...

Well after quite a few hours and lots of swear words the job is all complete. I have successfully super glued the broken plastic ring around the screen housing BUT it appears that was the reasonably easy part. Trying to place the screen again between the two protruding plastic elements on either side (one of which is connected to the motor) was very difficult. It required all the wiring coming into the screen on both sides to be disconnected from the PCB board and removed. The green, blue and red cables you see in the first picture actually run BELOW the top PCB board so that had to be unscrewed and the wires carefully removed. I also had to undo some screws on both side of the large outside housing in order to make more room for the screen to land between the two plastic rolls on either side and then retighten the screws.

Once the screen was sitting nicely between the two gears I tested it first by plugging the power cables back into it (but without formally putting it all back together)
See video here of the disassembled Nav operating..

https://flic.kr/p/nAwm77

It's now all back together and thankfully BMW will NOT be getting the $4,000 they were asking for! :driving: :driving: I had a massive sense of accomplishment afterwards that I haven't felt in years!! I just hope my repair lasts.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am

drzed wrote:Sk93, my many thanks for your detailed instructions, they were INVALUABLE while I was pulling it all apart...

Well after quite a few hours and lots of swear words the job is all complete. I have successfully super glued the broken plastic ring around the screen housing BUT it appears that was the reasonably easy part. Trying to place the screen again between the two protruding plastic elements on either side (one of which is connected to the motor) was very difficult. It required all the wiring coming into the screen on both sides to be disconnected from the PCB board and removed. The green, blue and red cables you see in the first picture actually run BELOW the top PCB board so that had to be unscrewed and the wires carefully removed. I also had to undo some screws on both side of the large outside housing in order to make more room for the screen to land between the two plastic rolls on either side and then retighten the screws.

Once the screen was sitting nicely between the two gears I tested it first by plugging the power cables back into it (but without formally putting it all back together)
See video here of the disassembled Nav operating..

https://flic.kr/p/nAwm77

It's now all back together and thankfully BMW will NOT be getting the $4,000 they were asking for! :driving: :driving: I had a massive sense of accomplishment afterwards that I haven't felt in years!! I just hope my repair lasts.

groovy! I should have pm'd you my number thinking about it.. I've taken the damn thing apart so often it's second nature to me.. but yes, the first time was an absolute minefield of confusion, headscratching and swearing :thumbsup:

Really happy you got it back together and working again - and especially that you didn't have to fork out mega bucks :thumbsup:

mr_z4mc_oz

Post by mr_z4mc_oz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:41 pm

I would love to find a way to completely disconnect the motor so the screen is left in the open position. I really don't see what the point of it flipping closed is for. I know you can close it while driving (doesn't bother me), but as soon as you press a button it pops up again.

So to avoid it breaking one day, it would be great to find a way to just disconnect the motor with the screen in the open position and be done with it 8)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 am

mr_z4mc_oz wrote:I would love to find a way to completely disconnect the motor so the screen is left in the open position. I really don't see what the point of it flipping closed is for. I know you can close it while driving (doesn't bother me), but as soon as you press a button it pops up again.

So to avoid it breaking one day, it would be great to find a way to just disconnect the motor with the screen in the open position and be done with it 8)
Iirc , you'd need to remove screen, split screen casing , an then just unplug the motor connection from the circuit board
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:33 pm

exactly as Mark says.
the only other way is rather permanent - cut the wire that leads out of the casing to the back of the motor.
no going back from that however.

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Guys old thread being woken up here

I want to remove and sell my nav setup and factory stuff as I dont require it.

The wires connected to the Nav, are they easy to remove. What to do with the loom after? Just let it be? Any errors going to be thrown?
Thanks
Bobby
Factory Nav.jpg
Factory Nav.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 pm

yyz_bobby wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm Guys old thread being woken up here

I want to remove and sell my nav setup and factory stuff as I dont require it.

The wires connected to the Nav, are they easy to remove. What to do with the loom after? Just let it be? Any errors going to be thrown?
Thanks
BobbyFactory Nav.jpg
If you remove the panel below the air vents you will see the other end the cables that are in the fabric braiding in your picture its on a connector plug behind that panel, so it just unplug and then your monitor will lift out
The small white plug in your picture leave alone as its internal monitor wiring
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 pm

The head unit you have left will still work you just won't have a display

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm

markplant wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 pm The head unit you have left will still work you just won't have a display
Oh so that loom will not detach from the navigation screen, it has to be removed from another point behind the vents panel?

I was thinking if there would be wires there that would connect to my CAN IN / OUT wires on the new headunit I have put in.

Long term I am going to go scrap dealers see if i can find a centre dash speaker cover and wire up a speaker into that gap and cover it nicely. Preferable to a cheap cubby or plastic cover.

ccarr

Post by ccarr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:11 pm

Bobby, out of curiosity, where/how will you be selling your screen? I need one for my 2005 Z4, since the two halves seem to have separated and it now sits crookedly on the dash. Thanks!