Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav screen not flipping up

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mspece

Re: Sat Nav screen not flipping up

Post by mspece » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response...If I manually "open" the monitor, it does work and show all info it always did....When I shut the engine off, the monitor closes....My question is if I made it stay "open" would the motor eventually give up trying to close it and would that kill the connectivity that I still have? Thanks much...

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Going to resurrect this one - sorry.

Mine works normally sometimes but most of the time it wont fully open. Ive been reading up on the issue here and on other forums and it seems that swapping the unit is the fix. I've read somewhere though that the stepping motor works on electrical pulses determined by the software and if the unit will open by using the left hand button then the issue isn't with the motor but with the software. I tried to reinstall the latest firmware but it won't accept it because its up to date.

Is there any way to determine if the motor is in fact the issue which will be cured by replacement?
2003 Launch car : 3.0 litre E85 in Sterling grey

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm sure there's a fix to do with just the gear mech off the motor, if srhutch appears I'm sure that where I heard it from
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 pm

markplant wrote:I'm sure there's a fix to do with just the gear mech off the motor, if srhutch appears I'm sure that where I heard it from

Ah, now thats what I'm looking for. Would be good to see that.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 pm

My understanding is the stepper motor is the issue.

From memory a coup,e of forum members have removed the motor and cleaned it up to fix the issue. I'll see if I can find the posts.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 am

srhutch wrote:My understanding is the stepper motor is the issue.

From memory a coup,e of forum members have removed the motor and cleaned it up to fix the issue. I'll see if I can find the posts.
That must have been what I was thinking of
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 pm

jfdesignblack wrote:I've just taken my Z out today after being away for a few weeks with work.... suns out /roofs down... and guess what the sat' nav' screen judders - opens a little, then closes...
Looks like the consensus is the stepper motor is on its way out according to the threads below. But where can I get a replacement?
I've been looking on eBay ad have my brother in law ( who works in the service dept at a BMW dealership - nice ) trying to source and price one...
Any advice appreciated - JF
Was it particularly cold that day my zed lives outside and sometimes on very cold days it does the same thing but works perfectly after a few minutes
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

biojo

Post by biojo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:43 pm

i noticed on cold days, when it goes to open it makes a loud crack noise like the plastics sticking, so just sprayed some grease we use at work on the pivot points and it stops it till next winter

never had it stop early though

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:47 pm

srhutch wrote:My understanding is the stepper motor is the issue.

Any luck with finding those instructions srhutch? Thinking I might try spray grease on the workings first but it would be useful to see an exploded view of the mechanism before I start taking it apart (so I know how it goes back together incase I get that "ping" sound halfway through and a spring goes awol).

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Not as yet, but they are on the forum somewhere.

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:00 am

No worries srhutch.

I ran a search and found this viewtopic.php?f=29&t=53936&p=859056#p859056.

Is this what you meant? - I will see if I can give it a shot this weekend.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:10 am

Looks like the one.

I was looking for a thread with pictures for some reason or other.

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Had a look this afternoon and struggled to get the vent off. The metal tangs seemed to be too long and i couldnt get the screwdriver into them. Made a wee tool with an old coathanger and it came out first time. Anyone else doing it should note that the white electrical connector block for the screen is secured to a bracket below the radio and needs a quarter turn anticlockwise to release it. After I got it out, there are 2 torx screws holding the motor on. Took them out and the motor slides off a retaining post. Another 3 torx screws secure the gear "housing". Took them out and applied a small amount of grease to them before puting it back together. There is nothing that will just fall out or ping away. The other pivot point is just a plastic collet that is pushed in to form the axis. This was dry and a bit dirtier with plastic "dust" due to use with no lubricant. Take out a torx screw and the collet prises out. Cleaned it up together with it mating surface in the housing and applied some grease. Put it all back in the car and tested it about 20-30 times and it opened and closed completely every time. Very happy with the result and dont see any reason why that isnt it fixed. Time will tell. Thanks for the help.

RJ2DJ

Post by RJ2DJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 pm

I've tried following the guide above, and I'm either doing something wrong or I'm just unlucky!

I have it all apart and applied a little grease to the white cogs that you can see in the photo below. Reassembled it all and it made no difference, the screen still gets to the half way point and stops. It almost feels like the motor has just lost some of its power or has forgotten how long it needs to be turning for to get the screen to go all the way up.

Am I doing something wrong?

Z4 3.0i SE Roadster

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Not sure you are doing anything wrong but there are another couple of things you could try.

I took the cog housing off (as you did) but I also took out the other screws (ringed orange) and removed the main housing. There is a little yellow cog (behind the removeable plastic insert (ringed yellow in the pic). I put a bit of grease on that too and I also checked the main cogged arm for missing teeth etc.

The other thing I did - and I think this made the most difference was at the other side of the screen (the unmotorised side). I found that this was just a plastic to plastic junction that wasnt greased. In fact it was a but powdery with plastic "swarf" from previous years operations. I cleaned this up as best I could and applied some grease.
The other pivot point is just a plastic collet that is pushed in to form the axis. This was dry and a bit dirtier with plastic "dust" due to use with no lubricant. Take out a torx screw and the collet prises out. Cleaned it up together with it mating surface in the housing and applied some grease.
Try that and see if it helps.
z4 screen.jpg
z4 screen.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 1725 times