Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3 warning lights on Dash - Brake Sensor?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
markeg
Lifer
Lifer

3 warning lights on Dash - Brake Sensor?

Post by markeg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

Bing wrote::rtfm:

:D
Here you go, Bing, quick linky - just so you can stay glued to the sofa ;)

Think you're referring to p52:

previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: 3 warning lights on Dash - Brake Sensor?

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Mark - that pic is one of them, but I am sure I've had the three the OP posted too. Will have a shufti at mine in the morning if I remember, as that is the US manual.
Last edited by Bing on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 am

Found this thread on Bimmerfest :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=660115

I think that the [BRAKE] symbol above is not on our cars - I have never seen it. I think it's represented by the circle with the exclamation mark and two brake pads on either side in the centre. If it is then it may be worth checking your battery - one guys suggests that the three light up because of low voltage to the components rather than the components themselves being the issue. However it would appear the master brake switches were the issue in his case. Whatever they are :oops:

I just googled 'BMW warning light combinations' - there are a lot more hits... Apologies if you have already done this :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Steveatesh

Post by Steveatesh » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks everybody a mixed baggage of replies :)

Sadly I don't have device to identify the fault code :(

I fully charged the battery in case it was running low, but the lights stayed on :( I'll do that google search too, been through it once but may have missed something.

I put winter tyres on in November and yes I did calibrate the tyre pressure. If just that light had come on it would not be a problem :) however I will reset It tomorrow just incase.

I'll try the steering lock reset tomorrow as well, keep my fingers crossed !

My understanding is that the three lights coming on together means something different to them coming on individually, I had thought a sensor of some description as the common denominator and one or two replies suggest a wheel sensor.

Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer here so sadly it's looking like a trip to an independent if it doesn't reset.

Still open to a definitive answer if anybody has one and thanks up to now :)

The Badger

Post by The Badger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 am

I had this with mine .... I hit a speed ramp a little to hard and both the dsc and brake warning light came on ( no run flat warning light) so the next day I took it to a local bmw garage who put if on the diagnostics they told me it was a faulty sensor relatively cheap to replace - as the car was under warranty I planned to take it to the garage I bought if from a few days later however the next day when I started the car it had cleared itself - it went back into the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it ? I have a friend with a 3 series who told me she has had this happen a couple of times on hers after hitting pot hole etc ....

Hopefully it is something similar or something simple to repair :|

Steveatesh

Post by Steveatesh » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 am

Quick update - put on the diagnostic computer and it is telling us it's the yaw sensor, which is something to do with the DSC. apparently it's situated under the drivers seat so that's coming out tomorrow to check for anything obvious as it's quite an expensive part apparently :(

Wa'ya

Post by Wa'ya » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 am

Just went through this on mine, how is it driving? does it pull hard to one side then the other? My code read right rear speed sensor, What fixed it was changing the wishbone bushings, an alignment, then a steering angle sensor calibration.

The bushings were bad which pulled the front end out of alignment. Steering sensor was telling the computer I was turning, and the rear speed sensors were telling it I was going straight.

Yep got a :whip:

Cyberface

Post by Cyberface » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Had those lights and that sensor fault just before Xmas. The part it's self is £360+vat!!
Cos me just shy of £500 to get it fixed.

Wa'ya

Post by Wa'ya » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:58 pm

What part did you have bad Cyberface?

Steveatesh

Post by Steveatesh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:45 am

SO to investigate further I took the drivers seat out today and under the carpet was soaken wet :( The cables running into the yaw sensor were dripping, so this is the likely reason the fault "Yaw electrical failure" was coming up.
I spent a couple hours drying it all down. The leak was probably down to a small trickle that used to come through the door membrane (fixed before xmas) building up, but the carpet actually felt dry on the surface and I had not realised it was soaken underneath. Lesson there I think about stitch in time and all that!

So, I'm going to have the code reset and hope thats fixed it rather than the actual sensor being bust. I'll keep everything crossed for next week!

Wa'ya

Post by Wa'ya » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 am

Good luck Steve hope you got it!

Cyberface

Post by Cyberface » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:40 pm

It was something to do with a positioning sensor longitude/latitude or something.
It was under a seat was an hours labour to change just really expensive part!

StJimmyL

Post by StJimmyL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

I had this EXACT combination of lights. For me it was a wet rear ABS sensor. I took the panels off for soft top frain clearing and couldnt get them back on so drive the car. Wet sensor and lights. a day in a garage and no more lights!

Steveatesh

Post by Steveatesh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Final update for anybody else with the same problem. I had to replace the yaw rate sensor which is beneath the drivers seat. I was quoted over £500 to do this, the bulk made up by the cost of the part, around £380 new.
So, turns out the actual work is very simple. About 15 minutes to remove the drivers seat and access the sensor.

While under there I dried out the carpets too, which took some time.

As regards the yaw rate sensor, I went through ebay. The sensor part number shows that the exact same part is used on E46 (3 series) cars and some minis too. I bought one that had been on an E46 for £40.00 delivered. Fixed to the car and replace seat ( another 20 minutes). Turned engine on and no warning lights, everything working fine. So the sensor from another model didn't need setting up with a computer, it is simply plug and play.

Simple job, simple tools, total cost £88 including initial diagnosis. Thanks for your help and advice everybody.

Shenanigans

Post by Shenanigans » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I got these three warning lights when my engine misfired! Drove it straight to the dealer, engine turned off, on again and the lights disappeared. Misfire was logged on the computer though but they couldn't find a fault with any of the plugs etc so just cleared the faults.

Couple of days later I hear more popping, along with the three lights. I just pulled over, switched off and on again and all is okay.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2007, 3.0si , Montego Blue, Bi-Colour/Silverstone Leather, Cruise Control, Xenon Headlights, Heated Seats, K&N Panel filter, Wind Deflector, Stubby, 108 Alloys