Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fault code:2A61 - Valvetronic help please??

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:24 pm

hi guys, from the picture below ive been told its the Valvetronic sensor. when we replaced my rocker cover gasket last week we noticed that it wasnt plugged in properly... plugged it in and got the EML come on... unconnected it and wiped the fault code and EML went off and all is fine but when i connect the sensor again it comes on... im guessing its faulty but do i replace it or is there a way of fixing this??

in the meantime im just driving around normally with it not connected... is this safe/bad for the engine??

thanks in advance

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Fault code:2A61 - Valvetronic help please??

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:26 pm

I would have thought your valvetronic motor and levers are faulty..It isnt uncommon.

I dare say the reason its been disconnected is because it an expensive job to rectify..

With it disconnected and not working you are not getting the full performance or economy from the car..

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm guessing you bought your car from ireland Jingle going fro your post

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=71368

Was it a private sale?

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes I did and yes it was private sale, there's been a couple of small issues (boot handles as u know, wheel arch trim and rocker cover gasket so not expensive so far) and hopefully a few more people can comment on this problem and im hoping can help me rectify it relatively easy/cheaply

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:36 pm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/b ... 232168.cfm

What other symptoms do you have? It would usually affect idle and cold start up I would think...
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:13 pm

No other symptoms, started 1st time every time, idles fine and pulls away fine?? Would it just be a case of sourcing a new sensor and replacing do ya think?

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15 am

With the wiring disconnected the idle should be fine. You will think the "pull away" is also OK, but when working you will notice the difference. The biggest difference will be fuel economy.

You may need to replace the motor, it's expensive for a new one but not a particularly difficult job (so I hear), but if getting a second hand one do some research on part numbers to see if there is an updated version you can get.

I have never seen this part, I gave up on mine long before this, but maybe it can be repaired?
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 pm

did you have a similar problem then stratts as u say u gave up on urs long befoer this??

so just to clarify i need to replace the "valvetronic motor" ?? is this correct?

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Yes, but I had the older motor in a 2002 318i and it was a basket case. I bought it blind off eBay (very cheaply), but the previous owner had done all sorts of bodge jobs including snapping the bolts that held the valvetronic gasket on (the oval shaped bit the wiring plug goes into) - he had glued it back on :headbang:

It was riddled with air leaks, I couldn't get rid of the engine light, the chain guide was snapped, etc., so I just sold it on as spares to a friend of mine.

I had it apart a fair bit so I got to know the working of the valvetronic system, so you have a motor attached to an eccentric shaft (i.e. it is not a straight piece) which adjusts the timing on the exhaust side. The sensor bit you have unplugged is the bit that reads where the eccentric shaft is located and moves it accordingly depending on engine speed, etc.

You will either have an issue with the motor itself, or the sensor, or both.

I'm no expert on these engines (and I don't want to be) and you have the later motor which was meant to fix all of the problems, but the valvetronic was always a bit temperamental. There's plenty of guides to this on other forums where people have the same engine as you in the E87 and E90.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm

oh ok, thanks for the info! will try and find some tutorials on this on other sites and fingers crossed a simple sensor replacement will sort it.... if i can find the part number?!

Maggot

Post by Maggot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Hey JINGLE, just wondering how you got on with the EML light. I have both EML and check engine light on on my 2006 Z4.It's currently in limp mode. Did changing the sensor solve the issue on your Z4 or did you need to fit a new Valvetronic motor? Having trouble finding the part, so I'm curious how you resolved the issue.

Cheers!