Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
leonfr

Oil Light

Post by leonfr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 pm

I have a 2.5se and now and again when I turn the engine off the oil light goes yellow if I turn it back on it goes back to red does"nt do it all the time just occasionally and the oil level is fine .any ideas people ?

Stratts

Re: Oil Light

Post by Stratts » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 am

Are you sure the level is fine? Switching off and finding the yellow light on is normally a warning that the level is a bit low. Check oil with the engine still hot (10 mins after shut off).

Mine was the same, I was convinced the level was fine, as soon as I topped it up everything is fine again.

The other possibility is the oil level sender in the sump, which can easily be replaced but is not particularly cheap.

Red oil light is oil pressure related.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 am

If you switch off and the yellow light comes on then it means you need to add 1L of oil.
I know this because mine has come on again this morning so must add some when I get home.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

leonfr

Post by leonfr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Put some oil in and happy days back to normal, thanks guys