Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air conditioning/fan problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi
Just got back from a nice tour of France but unfortunately battery failed at the ferry port and had to be jump started from Brittany Ferries truck(they were very helpful) and have just changed the battery for a new aftermarket one.
Fan now only works at a slow speed and snowflake light does not come on. I can hear something in the dash when I press it but aircon pump not kicking in.
Cannot see any answers on the forum so wondered if anyone has any ideas please?
Have checked the fuses which I think are the relevant ones but as no green lights coming up on the snowflake button or max fan button, am assuming it is electrical.
Is there any tester I can buy and plug in to check for faults and reset them although went to my local garage today & he could not see any faults on his reader.
Everything else working fine but I am worried we might get a heatwave one day!!!!
Thanks
Gareth

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Thu May 12, 2016 9:07 pm

It sounds like your zed has gone into what is known as Transport Mode due to flat battery. To sort it out it requires a decent level of equipment to reprogram it as I believe it can't be done with basic diagnostic scanners. Alternatively you could take it to an indy which will usually cost you around £35 - £50 :cry:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for that and confirms what I have just been reading in various other posts and this would seem to be my problem based on the symptoms.
Will therefore phone around to see if any local garages can do it before resorting to BMW dealership!!
I notice that you have the gaptech thingy which I have also fitted. Do you find that your remote does not always work the control or is it just that my timing is out on the button pushing?
Regards
Gareth

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Is transport mode deactivated in INPA?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Sorted!!!!
Went to different independent BMW garage and all fixed in minutes after connecting his laptop.
Air con now working perfectly and he cleared the low voltage errors and also the central locking which sometimes would not unlock although might still be a lurking problem there.
However he did point out that I have a small leak from the sump gasket?
Is this a difficult or expensive job to sort?
At least I can keep cool now!!!
Gareth

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 17, 2016 8:12 am

Gareth161 wrote: I notice that you have the gaptech thingy which I have also fitted. Do you find that your remote does not always work the control or is it just that my timing is out on the button pushing?
Regards
Gareth
If you haven't soldered the gap tech in, I wouldn't mind betting that this is the issue with that not working perfectly , not timing.

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Yes I did think about soldering as originally used the clips supplied and then changed to bullet connectors which seemed better.
However I was a bit worried about using a soldering iron in such a confined space with so many bits nearby which I could damage!!!
Might however have to give that a try
Thanks
Gareth