Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warning lights '07 Z4 2.0

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
greg1953

Post by greg1953 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Out driving today these three lights all came on at once...anyone got any info ?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:03 pm

ABS, DSC and Handbrake warning lights. If you search the forum for these you will find endless possible causes and fixes. Best to get a cheap OBD2 code reader dongle via ebay and something like Torque Pro app to get the codes as a starter. Anything else is pure guesswork.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery will re-set it but odds are it will return if there is an underlying cause. Don't panic yet, it might just be a cheap sensor once you get the codes :thumbsup:

page 8 onwards gives some more info on the symbols and the doc has some details about the system http://www.bmwclub.lv/files/10_E85_Driv ... mation.pdf
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:18 pm

Not a great start to the year :( follow Ewazix's advice - hopefully its just a sensor thats triggered (the 2 ltrs are prone to engine management warning lights - I had one on my previous Zed that I'd clear and after about 500 miles it would pop up again, never did get to the bottom of it)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:36 pm

It can be many things but its most commonly the brake pressure sensor, a circa £100 part from a dealer and a very quick home fix, it literally unscrews in seconds. However, there are two of them and you need to have the codes read to find out which one it is, so if you don't have a scanner etc your at a garage anyway so you might as well let them fit it.
When these start to fail a quick key off/on usually resets things and you can keep using it for a while before it re-occurs. The fault then starts appearing more and more frequently till you eventually get to a point where it happens all the time.

Other things it can be include the ABS pump itself (about £250 to recon the pump) plus removal/re-fitting etc.

The first step is obviously having the codes read to find out what your dealing with
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

greg1953

Post by greg1953 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Just tried the battery disconnect, lights went out after a short drive.
Greg

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:12 pm

greg1953 wrote:Just tried the battery disconnect, lights went out after a short drive.
Greg
Don't be surprised if they pop back on again at some point.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:44 pm

greg1953 wrote:Just tried the battery disconnect, lights went out after a short drive.
Greg
As I said it's worth a try, you might be lucky but I'd invest five or six quid in an OBD2 plug and the Torque app just in case, the codes should still be on board so will be worth reading off anyway :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 pm

I have the same warning lights on mine now, and diagnostic software shows error codes:
Code: 005DF0
Code: 005DF1
So, it looks like the hunt is on for a new/used DSC/ABS pump unit. What fun.... :headbang:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

aquarianone

Post by aquarianone » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 am

Have the same on mine too as at a week ago, well 4 lights...and the rear drivers side cv boot is leaking... happy days, hopefully gonna get the code read by the end of the week and see what's up :(
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 am

enzed4 wrote:I have the same warning lights on mine now, and diagnostic software shows error codes:
So, it looks like the hunt is on for a new/used DSC/ABS pump unit. What fun.... :headbang:
Hi enzed4. You have the classic symptoms of sticking brushes in the ABS motor.
Have a look here https://youtu.be/CmCe98MZ-Yw

I've just done one successfully. Far cheaper than a refurbed unit.

One thing you can try.....give the black cylindrical motor casing a couple of Sharp taps with a hammer or something similar. I tap them with a socket extension! Then turn ignition on to see if the lights go out.

Andy

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:43 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
enzed4 wrote:I have the same warning lights on mine now, and diagnostic software shows error codes:

One thing you can try.....give the black cylindrical motor casing a couple of Sharp taps with a hammer or something similar. I tap them with a socket extension! Then turn ignition on to see if the lights go out.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I have seen that video - looked it up in the hope it might point me in the right direction to repairing my own pump, but once he showed you need to cut the tabs holding the pump casing to remove it, I didn't think it was worth pursuing. I thought that might be the problem, and that such a simple fix was made near impossible by BMW's sealing of the unit :x . I didn't think of giving it a few taps, like a stuck starter motor, but as long as I don't damage the housing (may need to exchange it or send it for repair somewhere) I might as well try.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm

When these start to fail a quick key off/on usually resets things and you can keep using it for a while before it re-occurs. The fault then starts appearing more and more frequently till you eventually get to a point where it happens all the time.
or at least on second occasion when on way to have MOT done at Dealer :headbang: :headbang:
Dealer codes indicate faulty DSC unit and Dealer cost of £2380 for labour ,new unit and recoding :thumbsdown:
Going into Walkers Autotech on Tuesday who will, as for others reported here, remove pump send off for repair etc etc for £500 :D :D :D
plus a new MOT as not repaired by failing Station :) :)
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:30 pm

wegras wrote:
or at least on second occasion when on way to have MOT done at Dealer :headbang: :headbang:
Dealer codes indicate faulty DSC unit and Dealer cost of £2380 for labour ,new unit and recoding :thumbsdown:
Going into Walkers Autotech on Tuesday who will, as for others reported here, remove pump send off for repair etc etc for £500 :D :D :D
£500!!!!!! What!!!
Try these. far cheaper.
http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/pro ... 16203.html

Remove and fit it yourself. Not that hard. INPA software on ebay with your laptop and you have made a massive saving.

OR......follow the video link above and fix it yourself. Gotta be worth a try...surely?

If I am nearby to anyone, I will gladly help.
Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:34 pm

enzed4 wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote:

Andy
Thanks Andy, I have seen that video - looked it up in the hope it might point me in the right direction to repairing my own pump, but once he showed you need to cut the tabs holding the pump casing to remove it, I didn't think it was worth pursuing. I thought that might be the problem, and that such a simple fix was made near impossible by BMW's sealing of the unit :x . I didn't think of giving it a few taps, like a stuck starter motor, but as long as I don't damage the housing (may need to exchange it or send it for repair somewhere) I might as well try.
Additionally, unplug the connector to the ABS module (pull the plastic clip up on the top and the connector will pop off) and the put it back by pushing it back down. Unplugging and plugging back in sometimes cleans the pins and gets it working. Worth a shot.

Andy.

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
wegras wrote:
£500!!!!!! What!!!
Try these. far cheaper.
http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/pro ... 16203.html

Remove and fit it yourself. Not that hard. INPA software on ebay with your laptop and you have made a massive saving.

OR......follow the video link above and fix it yourself. Gotta be worth a try...surely?

If I am nearby to anyone, I will gladly help.
Andy.
Andy you are right but I gave up finger ge-poking decades age and far too old to bend over an engine bay for hours ,that is what Dealers are for 8) and whilst £2.4K is barking money on a 10 year old car £500 is right for me to get it sorted simply, biggest issue is Indie 30 mins away (lol) up other end of W Sussex alternative would have been to get rid of as an MOT failure
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family