Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

stevengude

Post by stevengude » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Roundozo wrote:
stevengude wrote:Im planning on doing this in the next couple of weeks - is it ok to drain the oil with just 1 side of the car jacked up (and 1 axle stand)?
Not ideal as you'll obviously have some left in the bottom of the sum that's sitting lower than the hole. You may also get residual oil sat in other places as the engine won't be level. Axle stands are pretty cheap. Just buy another one.
Ive got two, but wont i have the same issue that the car wont be level?

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 am

Yes its ok, just lower it and let it drain... No problem.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:46 am

If I remember correctly, the drainplug is actually located rearwards on the oilpan, so having the front up, and the back down should aid in the draining
:zzzz:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:38 am

sk93 wrote:If I remember correctly, the drainplug is actually located rearwards on the oilpan, so having the front up, and the back down should aid in the draining
Problem with that is that there's no easy/safe way to jack up front using front jack point in order to get the front up on axle stands. Unless you know a method?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:04 am

I THINK there's a middle jacking point. look for the big dimple under the centre front of the car. it's a bit far in, so you'll either need the car up on one the sides already and two jacks, or a long reach trolley jack.
Last edited by sk93 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am

I believe you need the jack puck to use this correctly.. but it's been a LONG time since I've jacked up the front, so get some other memebers to confirm my memory on this... as I also remember some discussion about this being lightweight alloy and not a jack point.

I'm confusing myself...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 am

sk93 wrote:Image

I believe you need the jack puck to use this correctly.. but it's been a LONG time since I've jacked up the front, so get some other memebers to confirm my memory on this... as I also remember some discussion about this being lightweight alloy and not a jack point.

I'm confusing myself...
yep, i read that post too - that central 'jacking point' deforms if used as it's only an indent to locate the real jacking point that lies behind it. for that reason i wouldnt trust it - preferring to go down to a diy garage and put it on a ramp/pit.
i also read somewhere here that jacking the back up as far as you can then putting an axle stand under the raised front jacking point is the safest method. havent tried it but curious to find out....

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am

Chris_D wrote:

I'm confusing myself...
yep, i read that post too - that central 'jacking point' deforms if used as it's only an indent to locate the real jacking point that lies behind it. for that reason i wouldnt trust it - preferring to go down to a diy garage and put it on a ramp/pit.
i also read somewhere here that jacking the back up as far as you can then putting an axle stand under the raised front jacking point is the safest method. havent tried it but curious to find out....
I used the "central jacking point" the first time I needed the car up however it deformed slightly so I've not done it again. I now use the above mentioned method. Jack the rear side jacking points and lift the car high enough to put axle stands under the front side jacking points. Works well.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am

Roundozo wrote:
Chris_D wrote:

I'm confusing myself...
I used the "central jacking point" the first time I needed the car up however it deformed slightly so I've not done it again. I now use the above mentioned method. Jack the rear side jacking points and lift the car high enough to put axle stands under the front side jacking points. Works well.
That reminds me; I need to get an undertray installed...! :lol: :thumbsup:

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Followed this guide today and didn't kill the car :)
Very useful, thanks OP.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Nharris89

Post by Nharris89 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Sorry to pull up an old thread, amazing write up and I will be following it to the letter in a week's time when I change my oil, only question though, I have a 2.2l m54 engine, I've read I need 5w30 oil, would 0w30 offer me better performance or should I go with the 5? Thanks in advance all!
04' e85 2.2i Roadster SE, Toledo blue.

Capa

Post by Capa » Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Depends on your climate, type of driving you do etc. All said and done it's unlikely to make a huge difference.

I've gone with 5w30, but the more pertinent question is that the oil is of good quality and in sufficient quantity. :)
E86 | Stratus Grey

Chopkins

Post by Chopkins » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Love the forum. Im 3 weeks into my ownership of my first Z4. I love it. 2.2 6 cylinder 04 reg. In good nic but not perfect. A friend of mine who has a 520 (same engine) compared engine noise at idle and mine sounds rougher. The friend suggested, new sparks air filter oil filter and oil change. Will this make the engine smoother?
My first Z4, 2.2 silver CSL alloys (fake). I love this car. :thumbsup:

Capa

Post by Capa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

It may do, it may not - haha.

If it's just had a service, then I'd have thought not. But otherwise it's probably a good thing to do. Mine was markedly smoother after the most recent service, but you may find differently.
E86 | Stratus Grey

V8rumbler

Post by V8rumbler » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 am

Good write up!! I will be doing mine when it stops raining :- prob in about 3 months 😂
E85 2.5si sport 2006
Silver Grey, Red sports Leather & Black Piano Trim