Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport Button - making it default to "on", rather than "off"

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
RobM77

Sport Button - making it default to "on", rather than "off"

Post by RobM77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:25 pm

I've just bought a 2007 Z4 Coupé and find that I'm driving it permanently with the sport button switched on, mainly because I find heel and toe much easier like this. Thing is, I've got to switch it on every time I start the engine. Does anyone know if there's a way for the button to work the other way round? i.e. to make it on all the time and have to be actively disabled if for some reason I don't want it on?

thanks

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Sport Button - making it default to "on", rather than "off"

Post by gannet » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:28 pm

none that Im aware of :(
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

RobM77

Post by RobM77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Shame - I can't think of why I'd ever want to drive it without Sport pushed in, so I guess I'll have to keep remembering to push it everytime I start the car.

I think my new car is absolutely great and it's everything I want from my everyday practical car. However, one thing that really puzzles me is why BMW think I would ever have a need for changing the ratio of input:output on the throttle or giving the spookily light and over-assisted steering even less assistance. The car drives really well on "Sport" mode as it is: perfect for country roads, round town, motorways etc, but without the button pushed in it's just..err.. worse; not in any way easier to drive or more relaxing, just slightly more sloppy feeling. Reading the adaptive throttle thread on this forum made me even more surprised!! I've only done 200 miles so far so haven't noticed anything weird happening like that.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

I go from having it on all the time to not...

my steering aint overly light with it off either - not compared to our other car (Mazda 2 Sport)...

I find the throttle far to sensitive sometimes with the sport on though

:|
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 pm

For fear of conveying poor driving skills... I tend not to use mine until I'm on the open road. I find the throttle response a little snappy for slow speeds – especially in reverse! By default I keep mine off.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:05 pm

PawnSacrifice wrote: I find the throttle response a little snappy for slow speeds – especially in reverse!
Sports mode in reverse!! You're hardcore! :driving:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
PawnSacrifice wrote: I find the throttle response a little snappy for slow speeds – especially in reverse!
:lol:

As a BMW driver I fell it is my duty to whip into recently vacated parking spots that others have been patiently queuing for! :evil:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Tired

Post by Tired » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:15 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
I find the throttle too sensitive when the car is cold and in sport. My clutch control is like I'm on my first driving lesson! I only go into sport when the temp is normal.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:17 pm

I never have the sport button on unless I'm on a 'spirited' drive
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

RobM77

Post by RobM77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:19 pm

The only weakpoint of my Z4 Coupé in my opinion is the steering - it lacks realistic weighting and feel (feels like a computer game at times actually) and doesn't give me the confidence to push the car, at least not yet (I've raced for ten years, so can normally jump into any car and get comfortable pushing it straight away; the Z4 feels strange and I'll need more time to adjust than with most cars). The Sport button improves the steering a bit, so I like it for that. I do mainly rely on chassis feel though, and thankfully that's good on the car.

As for the throttle, I can drive in either mode without any problems, except that I find heel and toe quite tricky without Sport mode on, because I can't get the throttle to blip enough (this may be just my feet though). It's really easy to H&T with sport on, and given that I rev match every downchange I therefore drive with Sport switched on all the time to make my life easier.

I don't want to criticise the car though, I've been wanting a car like this for years; in concept it's like a modern day 944 - light, small, RWD, and with a good sized boot :) I absolutely love it!! :D

I should add that I've only just bought the Z4C and have done just 200 miles so far (I walk to work, so that won't increase drastically anytime soon!). Once I settle into the car I may have no problems with the steering at all.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Aha, recognise the username from a thread earlier today on PH - welcome over :)

I prefer the steering feel WITH the sport button pressed, but marginally prefer the non-sport-buttoned throttle response, but its not enough to stop me driving most of the time (out of town) with sport engaged. The benefits to the steering are worth it although it's still the weakest part of the car. I believe fitting adjustable top mounts that allow the castor to be changed would affect the steering feel although I'm not sure what else that would do to the front suspension behaviour...

Ally
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

RobM77

Post by RobM77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Ally :) Thanks to you if it was you that pointed me in the direction of the forum from PH. I've learnt a lot reading through the posts and "How To" section.

Am I right in saying that more expensive hydraulic steering is fitted to the M Coupé, which not doubt fixes the problem? To be honest, the Z4C is undoubtedly the best car that I've ever owned (other than my Elise, which is a peerless drive, if a little impractical!), and I think I'm going to leave it just as it is. Of course though, it would be nice to get the Sport button to stick on!!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:48 pm

RobM77 wrote:Am I right in saying that more expensive hydraulic steering is fitted to the M Coupé, which not doubt fixes the problem?
Unfortunately, for us non-M owners, yes. We're stuck with the electric system but the M division chucked that on the scrap heap along with the run-flats :roll:

Just becomes part of the routine: get in, ignition position 1, into neutral, foot on clutch, start engine, release clutch, seatbelt on, sport button engaged, first gear, mirrors, go :driving:
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

alekos911

Post by alekos911 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm

RobM77 wrote:The only weakpoint of my Z4 Coupé in my opinion is the steering - it lacks realistic weighting and feel (feels like a computer game at times actually) and doesn't give me the confidence to push the car, at least not yet (I've raced for ten years, so can normally jump into any car and get comfortable pushing it straight away; the Z4 feels strange and I'll need more time to adjust than with most cars). The Sport button improves the steering a bit, so I like it for that. I do mainly rely on chassis feel though, and thankfully that's good on the car.

As for the throttle, I can drive in either mode without any problems, except that I find heel and toe quite tricky without Sport mode on, because I can't get the throttle to blip enough (this may be just my feet though). It's really easy to H&T with sport on, and given that I rev match every downchange I therefore drive with Sport switched on all the time to make my life easier.

I don't want to criticise the car though, I've been wanting a car like this for years; in concept it's like a modern day 944 - light, small, RWD, and with a good sized boot :) I absolutely love it!! :D

I should add that I've only just bought the Z4C and have done just 200 miles so far (I walk to work, so that won't increase drastically anytime soon!). Once I settle into the car I may have no problems with the steering at all.
I feel exactly the same way as you do. I am happy to know that. Maybe it is because we haven't settled in yet. As far as the sport mode is concerned, I also found it easier to downshift( I push the throttle in order to match RPMs) with it on. The steering isn't that heavier with the sport mode on but it is good enough for a spirited drive.
Thank God who created man to create these cars :-)
(ps: Because I am trying to improve my fluency in English, please feel free to correct me whenever it's necessary)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:30 pm

have a looky at this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attach ... switch.doc

I realise it's for the old M5, but the principal is exactly the same and I doubt it'd take more than a novice electrician to modify the circuit to work with the Z... Plus, you can get all the bits from maplin for next to nowt :D
:zzzz: