Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

check control messages

andyb99

check control messages

Post by andyb99 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Guys i've done a search here but not had much luck....
My car is giving an amber check control warning (looks like the car on a service ramp)when i insert the key fob....its MOT is not due and service not due until sept this year.....i cant really find out what this means. it only happens the first time i insert the key fob after a short time (or longer time....days) standing and it goes out when i start the car...if i stop the car and take out the fob...put it back in....light doesnt come on!!
brake lights are all working fine....car is running sweet.....never has any problems starting etc)...no other lights on (some searching suggested i would see 'brakes' or 'P' pointing to what the problem was.

any ideas?
is there a way to make the computer check each item and point to what its finding?

2009 3.0i Sdrive. 36k miles

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: check control messages

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:46 pm

If you check the manual it will tell you how to scroll through all the servicable items using the stalk and each one gives you a date and milage when it is due to be looked at.
The car on the ramp with no other message is a pain if you happen to miss the initial message that should have shown up.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:23 pm

I got that warning icon last week. Handbook says low or faulty battery, which it was.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

andyb99

Post by andyb99 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 pm

New2Zed wrote:I got that warning icon last week. Handbook says low or faulty battery, which it was.
i think this might be a good call because i've not been using it much over christmas and into the new year because i've been travelling a lot with work.....is there a way to check this is the fault its showing using the stalk?
or should i just give it a decent drive and hope it recovers

inz4ne

Post by inz4ne » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 am

had the same warning, popped the battery on charge, sorted. Not had much use this winter. absolute doddle to find charging points, although pics in handbook were really poor. There we have it my second maintenance task completed in just over 3 years, first one was fitting a stubby..[emoji56]

andyb99

Post by andyb99 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 am

inz4ne wrote:had the same warning, popped the battery on charge, sorted. Not had much use this winter. absolute doddle to find charging points, although pics in handbook were really poor. There we have it my second maintenance task completed in just over 3 years, first one was fitting a stubby..[emoji56]
not sure what you mean by finding charging points?

i'm sure this must be the problem cause its not had much use either....i have a battery optimiser in my garage but i'll have to take the battery off (cause my garage is full of stuff)

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:31 pm

andyb99 wrote:
inz4ne wrote:had the same warning, popped the battery on charge, sorted. Not had much use this winter. absolute doddle to find charging points, although pics in handbook were really poor. There we have it my second maintenance task completed in just over 3 years, first one was fitting a stubby..[emoji56]
not sure what you mean by finding charging points?

i'm sure this must be the problem cause its not had much use either....i have a battery optimiser in my garage but i'll have to take the battery off (cause my garage is full of stuff)
Taking the battery off is a bit of a faff and with a conditioner/optimiser you don't even have to disconnect it apparently, although the charger instructions I have read aren't specific on this.

Is an extension lead not practical?

The emergency starting points, which some people use for charging, are in the engine compartment and identified in the handbook. The battery, of course, is in the boot and easily accessible and I prefer to connect directly to it.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

andyb99

Post by andyb99 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks Guys, yes an extension is a possibility.....i'll give it a good run over the next couple of days that might sort it out...if not i'll charge it....then see what happens

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 am

If you have access to a decent OBD diagnostic system, you can pull a fairly detailed report off that shows the charge state over a period of time (I think 7 days and lifetime of current battery). If you live near the East Midlands, I could run a full system scan for you, which should show up any anomlies and the overall state of your battery. :thumbsup:

andyb99

Post by andyb99 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 pm

E89_Gaz wrote:If you have access to a decent OBD diagnostic system, you can pull a fairly detailed report off that shows the charge state over a period of time (I think 7 days and lifetime of current battery). If you live near the East Midlands, I could run a full system scan for you, which should show up any anomlies and the overall state of your battery. :thumbsup:
thanks for the offer Gaz, sadly i'm in lancs though and dont have an odb system....appreciate the offer of help though!

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Has a wheel been off, or it been on a ramp for a day or so?

Only reason I ask is that I had the same thing happen after the car spent a day on the jack when getting a tyre changed. A day of driving later, it had gone.