Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 leaking rear lights

Bmwbossman

Z4 leaking rear lights

Post by Bmwbossman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 am

Hi guys my dad has a 2010 z4 and the rear light is leaking and full of water, is this covered by bm as its common? He went to have his roof fixed at chandlers worthing and they noticed it and offered togive him a quote which means i guess they dont cover it?
Is it an easy self fix? I have an e46 and pretty handy with cars but certainly not a mechanic...also what price is he looking at?
Appreciate any help
Cheers
Dan

TopDMC

Re: Z4 leaking rear lights

Post by TopDMC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am

Known fault with earlier E89s Although BMW will deny it.
I am surprised it has not been noticed over the past 5 / 6 years!
Reckon that Chandlers will probably want the best part of £400 for a replacement.
However, it can be removed, dried out and sealed.
How long has he had the car and where did he buy as you might have a claim against BMW garage if bought from them.
:) Life's for living :)

alscoob

Post by alscoob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Wife had hers replaced under warranty recently & the car is a 2011 model, a well documented fault. There was no argument from BMW.

Bmwbossman

Post by Bmwbossman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies unfortunately it was bought from an independent garage and the warranty from there ran out a while ago...does it have to be bought from a dealer to have it covered under warranty?
Cheers

TopDMC

Post by TopDMC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Bmwbossman wrote:Hi, thanks for the replies unfortunately it was bought from an independent garage and the warranty from there ran out a while ago...does it have to be bought from a dealer to have it covered under warranty?
Cheers
You'd have thought.
Unless you have one hell of a relationship with the main dealer, I cannot see the dealer being interested.
You can but try, I did have one of mine replaced when the car was 3.5 years old and they got it passed. However I had bought the car from them and it had been serviced by them from the outset.

I seem to remember that there was a thread on here talking about a fix from BMW that involved of taking the cluster out, drying it and sealing it again.

Good luck
:) Life's for living :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 pm

BMW should have recalled all these lights back for a fix.
Won't happen till someone proves an accident was caused by a fault say indicator.
But their cop-out is as soon as there is any significant water enters, it throws up a fault.
That fix ain't a BMW one otherwise they would all be fixed by now.

andya1

Post by andya1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:03 am

I had both of my rear lights replaced under warranty mine is a 2009 model but I bought mine from a BMW dealer and it was their own warranty so I think you will struggle but if I were you I would take the car into my local main BMW dealer and show them the problem and ask them to replace them, it is a known fault and you never know they might say yes.

Hammy17

Z4 leaking rear lights

Post by Hammy17 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Got a 2013 z4 had both rear light clusters replaced under warranty at the beginning of this year. Wee bit worried to "common" or "known" problem surfacing on not just this issue.