Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i & 35is common failures / buyer check points

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:41 pm

stuartinzg wrote:
R.E92 wrote:Had my car for nearly 3 years, from 17k to 60k miles and had the following:

Piezo injector failure

Leaking adaptive suspension

HPFP (High pressure fuel pump)

Faulty coil packs

LPFP (low pressure fuel pump)

Rattling wastegate actuators

The HPFP will cause the car to misfire while driving and to crank for long while starting. When it gets more severe will prevent the car starting. A bad HPFP will also mean your engine runs lean which is bad news.

The rattling wastegates are just an annoyance for the most part, all cars over 50k miles will have it to a varying degree, it's hard to hear from the drivers seat unless you part in a garage. They will eventually fail but it takes a good 30k miles before you start to notice a lack of boost and the car throws a fault.

Coil packs can be picked up for £20 each if you shop around. I got a fresh set of 6 for £120 from ECP during their last black friday sale.

Injectors are another thing that will be knackered on most cars if they are revision 11 or lower but are only really obvious once you have them fixed. When they fail the car will need recovering but they can run in a leaky state for years. It's only once you get a new set of injectors that you realise how much smoother and more fuel efficient the car is.

The DCT gearbox has proven to be incredibly reliable all across the BMW range. As with most things in these cars it's been hugely over-engineered, capable of handling much more torque than a standard Z4 can throw at it.
I should probably start to prepare myself for some of these - being at 35k now.

Did you go with OEM injectors or look at aftermarket alternatives like the coils? Same for the HP/LPFP.

What did you do about the wastegates? I had an idea to go hybrid when they need doing and get them re-engineered. What do you think?

The leaking adaptive is a worry as that's bloody expensive and I'm out of warranty.
I've gone with OEM parts.
For coils there are a few different brands of OEM coil. Bosch, Deplhi and Eldor. There's no real evidence to suggest Delphi or Eldor are any better than Bosch and the Bosch coils were £60 cheaper for the lot.

With injectors I'm not aware of any aftermarket solutions. The index 12 seem to be a more robust design as I'm not aware of any failures.

For turbos there are a good few aftermarket options. Mine were replaced under warranty so I just have another OEM set. If you are doing it out of your own pocked then Pure offer some good setups but I think most retain the stock wastegate configuration so may also suffer rattle. If you don't plan on going above 500bhp then stock are all you need.

Leaking dampers are just a fact of life with the adaptive suspension. I've seen lots of people reporting leaks and there is a serious part shortage of them due to that. 2 week lead time from dealers.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 pm

R.E92 wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:
R.E92 wrote:Had my car for nearly 3 years, from 17k to 60k miles and had the following:

Piezo injector failure

Leaking adaptive suspension

HPFP (High pressure fuel pump)

Faulty coil packs

LPFP (low pressure fuel pump)

Rattling wastegate actuators

The HPFP will cause the car to misfire while driving and to crank for long while starting. When it gets more severe will prevent the car starting. A bad HPFP will also mean your engine runs lean which is bad news.

The rattling wastegates are just an annoyance for the most part, all cars over 50k miles will have it to a varying degree, it's hard to hear from the drivers seat unless you part in a garage. They will eventually fail but it takes a good 30k miles before you start to notice a lack of boost and the car throws a fault.

Coil packs can be picked up for £20 each if you shop around. I got a fresh set of 6 for £120 from ECP during their last black friday sale.

Injectors are another thing that will be knackered on most cars if they are revision 11 or lower but are only really obvious once you have them fixed. When they fail the car will need recovering but they can run in a leaky state for years. It's only once you get a new set of injectors that you realise how much smoother and more fuel efficient the car is.

The DCT gearbox has proven to be incredibly reliable all across the BMW range. As with most things in these cars it's been hugely over-engineered, capable of handling much more torque than a standard Z4 can throw at it.
I should probably start to prepare myself for some of these - being at 35k now.

Did you go with OEM injectors or look at aftermarket alternatives like the coils? Same for the HP/LPFP.

What did you do about the wastegates? I had an idea to go hybrid when they need doing and get them re-engineered. What do you think?

The leaking adaptive is a worry as that's bloody expensive and I'm out of warranty.
I've gone with OEM parts.
For coils there are a few different brands of OEM coil. Bosch, Deplhi and Eldor. There's no real evidence to suggest Delphi or Eldor are any better than Bosch and the Bosch coils were £60 cheaper for the lot.

With injectors I'm not aware of any aftermarket solutions. The index 12 seem to be a more robust design as I'm not aware of any failures.

For turbos there are a good few aftermarket options. Mine were replaced under warranty so I just have another OEM set. If you are doing it out of your own pocked then Pure offer some good setups but I think most retain the stock wastegate configuration so may also suffer rattle. If you don't plan on going above 500bhp then stock are all you need.

Leaking dampers are just a fact of life with the adaptive suspension. I've seen lots of people reporting leaks and there is a serious part shortage of them due to that. 2 week lead time from dealers.
Might be worth going fully adjustable KW V3 with EDC delete at that point then.
Won't the OEM turbo's fail again? or has it been revised as well?
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:32 pm

stuartinzg wrote:Might be worth going fully adjustable KW V3 with EDC delete at that point then.
I expect they will start rattling again in 40k miles, I don't think the turbo design ever changed.
I'll probably be driving another car by then though, had the Z4 for close to 3 years already, might keep it another year or two since I love it so much.

The rattle isn't too bad an can be masked by changing the resting wastegate position in the DME. This will increase lag a little though.

The consensus amongst the tuning community is that OEM turbos are the most reliable. An unsettling amount of aftermarket turbos fail before hitting 30k miles.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:00 pm

R.E92 wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:Might be worth going fully adjustable KW V3 with EDC delete at that point then.
I expect they will start rattling again in 40k miles, I don't think the turbo design ever changed.
I'll probably be driving another car by then though, had the Z4 for close to 3 years already, might keep it another year or two since I love it so much.

The rattle isn't too bad an can be masked by changing the resting wastegate position in the DME. This will increase lag a little though.

The consensus amongst the tuning community is that OEM turbos are the most reliable. An unsettling amount of aftermarket turbos fail before hitting 30k miles.
Thought about this kit?
http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-135i-5 ... epair-fix/
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:03 am

stuartinzg wrote:
R.E92 wrote:

Thought about this kit?
http://turbolabofamerica.com/bmw-135i-5 ... epair-fix/
I've heard about revised wastegate designs but I've not seen anyone going into details about using them.

I would imagine the cost to remove turbos and replace the wastegates might be quite high already. I don't think it's just a case of bolting new wastegates on, you need to cut and weld.

With warranty BMW will just replace the turbos as soon as they start to rattle. Without warranty you may as well go large and get some bigger turbos :)

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Digging this one up from the last.

Now users are reaching upto 100k has there been an increase in machainical failures at all?

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 pm

A thing that I've seen posted a few times (for myself included) is the soft close mechanism on the boot. It is thought that some wires on the left actuator were snagged during manufacture before sleeving, causing an intermittent fault after many boot opening/closing operations.

This can be repaired very easily with a dab of solder, maybe a slightly longer wire, and re-sleeving.

For a buyer check point, open the boot and close it. If it makes a lot of intermittent whirring and lifts/closes multiple times, then this will be the issue (though very easy to fix).

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=91766
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

CHIMV8

Post by CHIMV8 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:49 pm

Hi All
Looking into buying a 2009 35is with 91,000miles

Other than what you guys have mentioned,is there anything specific i need to look out for the 2009 year and the high mileage

On another note,how can i look into the service history,says its got some but haven't seen the paperwork yet,unfortunately its usually only stamped service book
Sterling Grey 3.0

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:10 pm

2009, 91k miles?

I would look to be buying from a nun (or some other member of the clergy) with 1 owner.

Check for how frequently it has changed hands, and how regularly it has had money spent on it (ideally with the receipts). You can check the BMW service history by getting a key read at a dealer, outside of the network you are on your own & need to check manually with invoices / phone calls etc.

MOT history can be checked online & may give some clues. If it's failed more than a couple of tests that shows the current owner (whoever it was) did not keep up with proactive maintenance - I avoid these cars.

Don't worry about the odd cracked wheel on the MOT report - it's a thing to be aware of rather than worried about.

If the current owner has had it for under a year I would run away laughing & screaming - he may have discovered how much the issues will be to fix!

This age of e89 has the leaky rear LED lights & they are near impossible to buy nowadays - if the originals, they are a problem waiting to happen.

Everything else is standard used car checks, but to be honest, grabbing a cheap, old, high milage 35is would not be my plan for smooth ownership. Fundamentally I think it's a good reliable car, but with lots or areas that can be a problem over time. Especially if it's neglected.

I'm on my second 35is, and both have been brilliant. But I sought out the very best, lowest milage examples I could find, with the best history etc & a full warranty.

So - get familiar with this forum, buy a code scanner, and get a nice set of work clothes.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

CHIMV8

Post by CHIMV8 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:30 pm

Thanks Matt
Already checked the MOT's and its had a few failures in its time

So ill take all your comments on board and leave alone
Sterling Grey 3.0

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:08 pm