Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ipod connection – bewildered newbie!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I know that there have been lots of posts about this – I’ve spent all afternoon reading them! But.... I’m still looking for a short answer I can understand.

Having just taken possession of my 2008 E85 I’m on my do first list and an easy start (so I thought) was the sound system. My car has the black Business Radio head but no CD changer or aux socket fitted that I can see. I have also read the fitting instructions to put a CD changer into the centre console - quick simple job then!

About ten years ago I fitted my ipod to the ford radio in my Puma using the box in the photo to access the playlists and provide power. I just cable tied the box and the ipod to the bulkhead behind the dash board and forgot about it.

Yes I know that this box won’t work in the Z4. However this set would appear to be a simple solution – I’ve read that UK cars have a lead fitted from the radio head to the CD changer so I just find the end of the lead in the boot; then cable tie the ipod and box against the rear bulkhead from inside the boot.

So – is this possible?
Will there be a lead from the boot to the radio head?
What box do I need? – looked at Intravee and Dension but don’t know which one. All I want to be able to do is scroll through the playlists using the display on the radio so no need to for the box with most functions.

I don’t need or want to: sync / Bluetooth / handshake any other device from the car. The ipod is old (2GB) but has more than 25 hours of music on it – more than enough for me.

I’m looking for a ‘plug and play’ solution since I don’t fancy programming or coding anything. Don’t want the ipod in the car or glove box because I don’t need access to it – or the hassle of taking the radio out of the dash.

All simple answers gratefully received.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 pm

If you don't have navigation then go for the intravee. There are one or two other options which all work in a similar way.

The lead you want can be retrieved through the boot by lifting up the carpet on the firewall. Then through the hike in the middle the two plugs are usually found tapped to the floor or storage bin.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi srhutch,

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a rummage behind the boot carpet tomorrow.

Should the other end of the lead have been connected to the radio head unit when it was installed?

Can you suggest a model number for me? - started reading the various descriptions this afternoon and got lost in information overload :? At least that way I'll know it will have all the correct leads and connectors.

Thanks for your help.