Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
ric19

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by ric19 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Only last week was I thinking "I havent had a punture for ages" of course yesterday the pressure light came on and I found a lovely nail right in the centre of the tyre.. rang Stratstone who of course said I needed a new tyre, so rang a few local tyre places that were a bit put off when I mentioned 19" 30 profile tyres and stated that they couldnt guarantee not to damage the alloys, anyway I took it to one of them, who fixed it, put a new valve in and balanced it for........£15............... so result :) and the alloy has not a mark on it.. so double result :) :)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by firebobby » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm

ric19 wrote:Only last week was I thinking "I havent had a punture for ages" of course yesterday the pressure light came on and I found a lovely nail right in the centre of the tyre.. rang Stratstone who of course said I needed a new tyre, so rang a few local tyre places that were a bit put off when I mentioned 19" 30 profile tyres and stated that they couldnt guarantee not to damage the alloys, anyway I took it to one of them, who fixed it, put a new valve in and balanced it for........£15............... so result :) and the alloy has not a mark on it.. so double result :) :)
I was told that if you drive RFT when punctured, this weakens the walls of the tyre and makes them dangerous. This was from a mate who deals with tyres, so he wasn't doing the hard sell, not that I had a puncture at the time. :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 pm

firebobby wrote:
ric19 wrote:Only last week was I thinking "I havent had a punture for ages" of course yesterday the pressure light came on and I found a lovely nail right in the centre of the tyre.. rang Stratstone who of course said I needed a new tyre, so rang a few local tyre places that were a bit put off when I mentioned 19" 30 profile tyres and stated that they couldnt guarantee not to damage the alloys, anyway I took it to one of them, who fixed it, put a new valve in and balanced it for........£15............... so result :) and the alloy has not a mark on it.. so double result :) :)
I was told that if you drive RFT when punctured, this weakens the walls of the tyre and makes them dangerous. This was from a mate who deals with tyres, so he wasn't doing the hard sell, not that I had a puncture at the time. :)

I totally agree with this. If you drive on it for any distance the sidewall carries the cars weight and destroys itself. Clearly visible when you remove the tyre with lots of rubber debris in the tyre
If it's partially deflated or you spot it on the drive and take it in for immediate repair, then not an issue.
Judgement call really and separately the location of the puncture
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ric19

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by ric19 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Mine was never totally flat, only lost 5 pounds and as I carry a pump was abe to pump up so not an issue..

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 pm

ric19 wrote:Mine was never totally flat, only lost 5 pounds and as I carry a pump was abe to pump up so not an issue..
That's the sort of circumstance where I agree a repair is safe and sensible
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ric19

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by ric19 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:06 pm

From what I have read, the only difference is that a tyre fitter can't assertain from looking at the inside of the side walls if they have been damaged by driving on them, as a non run flat would show marks that a run flat would not exhibit, and Bridgestone state that tyres CAN be repaired within certain criteria

jonrx7uk

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by jonrx7uk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:58 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
ric19 wrote:Mine was never totally flat, only lost 5 pounds and as I carry a pump was abe to pump up so not an issue..
That's the sort of circumstance where I agree a repair is safe and sensible
Similar thing happened to me, did another 2000 miles on the repaired tyre. As long as you don't run on a fully deflated runflat they're fine
E89 2.0i LCI - Valencia Orange

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 am

I had a repair on a Pirelli P Zero RFT on my 123d that lasted another 11,000 miles with no issues.

But it had only gone 6 miles after the TPWS light came on, and was still only a few PSI down when I got home.

I think the reluctance to repair at many places is because they don't know how the tyre has been treated since the puncture (and maybe their need to drive sales targets)! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ric19

RFT - Puncture Repaired

Post by ric19 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:34 am

Well mine is nigh on 2 months old and still appears ok, obviously it now going to fail having raised the ire of the Gods :)