Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Runners?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
vanilla

Runners?

Post by vanilla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Any runners on the forum?
I'd like to take it up and went for a 'jog' yesterday, could hardly manage 5 mins! Think I will sign up to a 5K so it will give me something to aim for? How long do you think is reasonable to train for a run? What're your tips please?

:)
2.0 SE Z4 Roadster Sapphire Black, Red Leather.
MM gear knob.
R. I. P :(

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Runners?

Post by LeeZ4MR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm

I am currently running 22 miles a week and I only run on a Monday Wednesday Friday and use the other days to rest my legs, I have only been running for 18 months but my advise is slow and steady and let your body tell you what`s best, I invested in a GPS watch just to give me an idea of miles covered my pace and calories burned and its a good tool I think.

I always run on my own and I just enjoy getting out in the fresh air, I think entering a 5k is a great idea, I applied for a 10k but sadly I injured my foot so couldn't do it but if I stay injury free I am hoping to do a half marathon in September, when I started I just ran short distances and slowly built myself up.

Good luck to you going forward :thumbsup:
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:35 pm

I run three or four times a week (around 30k in total) in Sutton Coldfield park, it's really good for cross country running.

Anyone use mapmyrun.com or do parkrun.org.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

vanilla

Post by vanilla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Thank guys, wow you both run loads!
Hope you'r injury gets better soon Lee and good luck with the half marathon!

Btw I did download an app couch to 5k hehe but umm kept dropping my iPhone. So do you recommend arm band or waist band? I can't afford anything too fancy. Also tried my shuffle but the iPhone earphones don't work, anyway is there a way to get the app or run/walk intervals onto the shuffle? I don't really want to be looking at my watch and the podcasts etc will help me keep track of progress..

Any motivation tips too? I might try a morning jog before work and then gym after..
2.0 SE Z4 Roadster Sapphire Black, Red Leather.
MM gear knob.
R. I. P :(

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Interval training worked wonders for me when I started running. Initially I'd run a lamp post then walk one. Then run two and walk one. Build up from there.

I also found running up hills and walking down them a great fitness improver - high intensity for a time then let the pulse lower as you walk down then turn around and run up again - repeat a number of times. You'll find your general running fitness will improve greatly. I used to jog/run out to a local hill and do my interval training up and down that - really pushed myself to the top and always recovered by walking back down - repeated this twice, four times , eight times (depends on size of hill, fitness and time you have) and then jog/run home. Worked for me.

If you want an incentive/system see if you can get Dr Kenneth Cooper's book on running. It's very old basic stuff but uses points per week and takes into account your weight etc and distance/time running gains points, to make up your weekly totals. He actually was one of the innovators of jogging (and died running!) but it's a simple and motivational book - if you can find a copy on the net it is a straightforward introduction. Showing my age here! I'm sure there's lots of newer stuff but it would make an interesting start.

Good luck - I miss my running. . .
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Been running since 18. Let's just say that's best part of 40 years. Run 3 times per week varying from 5k to 10k. 10k and half marathons are preferred race distances.
I use Nike app on iPhone to track or mapometer to estimate different runs ( I work away and travel a lot)

Very hard to simply provide tips as don't know your fitness, age, weight, etc. in general take it steady and build up. Interval training is good. Invest in top end trainers and decent kit. Don't run every day and have rest days.

Any questions ask away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Been trying to get into running myself recently. Building up as recommended above and the addition of music for me helped massively to distract from the boredom of my own footsteps and breathing!

Do the runners on here recommend on or off road running in terms of lower risk injury. I heard road running was quite hard on the joints depending on age/fitness etc. [41 years old, 6'3", 14.5 stone]

Personally found running in the morning easier and sets me up for the day very well.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 pm

vanilla wrote: Hope you'r injury gets better soon Lee and good luck with the half marathon!
Thanks very much for the kind words :thumbsup: as cj10jeeper says it is difficult to give tips because everyone is different and what works for some might not work for others but the main thing is to enjoy just being out there running and one thing I will say is it can get a little addictive but run at a pace that suits you and you will be fine. :)
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 am

inkey$ wrote:Been trying to get into running myself recently. Building up as recommended above and the addition of music for me helped massively to distract from the boredom of my own footsteps and breathing!

Do the runners on here recommend on or off road running in terms of lower risk injury. I heard road running was quite hard on the joints depending on age/fitness etc. [41 years old, 6'3", 14.5 stone]

Personally found running in the morning easier and sets me up for the day very well.
I agree inks and in terms of running in the morning that certainly works best for me, I used to run mostly off road and I found that much easier to be honest but since I have moved house I mainly run on the road now and it does have more impact on me I have found but I think I am getting used to it now I am (41 in September, 5`9", 11.7 stone)

I think if I listened to music I would end up getting run over! but I know it works for so many people to help as motivation and pass the time, good luck with the running going forward :D :thumbsup:
Last edited by LeeZ4MR on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:14 am

Cheers Lee. I'm waiting for the addiction to start but know it will come! I'm traditionally an MTBer so exercise without a machine started off as quite a foreign concept. Want to do it though for obvious health reasons and am aiming to drop a stone or so if possible. One thing I have noticed is how quickly the effects happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 am

I used to love mountain biking a few years ago with a few friends and I loved It but we lost touch and I wanted to do something to try and keep a little fit so I thought running was a good option as I was on my own and it has worked out fine and I do still have to talk myself into going sometimes but I have found it to be a little addictive now.
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 am

I used to run a lot - half marathons, 5k's & 10k's. I then stopped for several years, restarted again about 5 years ago and then stopped again!!

However I've just restarted again and am off to the local running track today for intervals.

I think the advice everyone else has given has covered off most things. A lot depends on your goals - if you just want to be able to run a 5k without resorting to walking then building up your distance gradually is probably all you need to do. If you have a time target or want to improve you'll need to mix some interval training in too because it's the best way of increasing your speed (also very effective at burning fat too).

Good luck with it and this time of year is a nice time to start - nice warm evenings, sunny mornings etc. it gets a bit harder motivation-wise on those dark cold winter mornings/nights.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 am

Not sure we were designed to run miles on hard tarmac. A fanatical runner at work had to have a hip replaced in her late thirties. I dont know if there was any predisposition. I mix my running with cycling (never on the road). As for marathons. Well, what they forget to tell you is the original greek bloke who did it in the year dot collapsed and died straight after! Think Ill take a cab. Or better still, ill take the Zed!
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:43 am

Few more comments to add:

Listening to music may be motivational, but on roads and towns pavements, etc. it can be dangerous. You'll be unaware of cars, traffic, etc.

Run on softer surfaces. Grass is good and even gravel tracks take the massive impact out of endless tarmac

Run properly. By this I mean just that - don't stamp along on heals with high impact, but run through your step. I've perfect joints after a life of running.

Expect to have good days and bad days. One day you'll run 1k and feel knackered the next you'll fly by 5 in a best time.

Build it into your lifestyle, so it's part of it, not a chore or something that gets put off.

Play mental games with targets. Know where the 1k marks are on a run. How many minutes it took to get there last time. 1k is 2.5 laps of a running track. That would be 2 minutes per lap at 5 minutes per k, etc. 1 mile is 1.6k or 4 laps of a track. Use this to break runs into small easy targets. (the next traffic lights are 1k away - I'll do it in x minutes.) Get to know your times. You'll probably run a k now in 7 to 10 minutes, but work down to 6 or even 5. I train constantly at 5 mins. per k (as I'm getting lazy), but on a 10k up it to 4.5 and hold that for 10.

Run up the hills then relax going down the other side.

Vary your route.

and finally for now, especially as it's hot, drink well before and ideally during and always before you feel thirsty. Later you'll be air cooled and it won't matter so much.

Enjoy :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Runners?

Post by original guvnor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am

Some very good points there CJ. Especially the bit about breaking the run down into smaller chunks - very handy when your mind is telling you to stop before you've reached your goal. I've employed that tactic to great effect over the years.