Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone understand feline behaviour ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

Anyone understand feline behaviour ?

Post by gov » Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 am

Young Dexy is quite a vocal puss - I don't mean he can speak English but in cat language he does manage to convey the message ie I can't be arsed to squeeze my fat ass out of the cat flat when all I have to do is miaow at the front door day or night and mum or dad will let me out - same with food. However if he knows we are not in then miraculously he can manage the flap :?

This is just the lead up to my question - it's the start of the flea season and he's had his first dose of Bob Martin Spot On - within a couple of days he's become a bigger pain ie rushing all round the house yelling at any closed doors and acting a bit strange - I'm beginning to wonder if this flea treatment has some hallucinatory adage that is making him high - am even tempted to try it on myself - a new legal high :evil:

any other cat owners noticed anything?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Anyone understand feline behaviour ?

Post by gannet » Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 am

certainly possible - have you talked to your vet? We use Advocate flea treatment and ours have no ill effects (well apart from not liking the process...)

Is there any new cats or dogs in the neighbourhood that could be stressing him out?

oh and ours do the door thing too :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

mattwaltersz4m

Post by mattwaltersz4m » Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 am

gov wrote:Young Dexy is quite a vocal puss - I don't mean he can speak English but in cat language he does manage to convey the message ie I can't be arsed to squeeze my fat ass out of the cat flat when all I have to do is miaow at the front door day or night and mum or dad will let me out - same with food. However if he knows we are not in then miraculously he can manage the flap :?

This is just the lead up to my question - it's the start of the flea season and he's had his first dose of Bob Martin Spot On - within a couple of days he's become a bigger pain ie rushing all round the house yelling at any closed doors and acting a bit strange - I'm beginning to wonder if this flea treatment has some hallucinatory adage that is making him high - am even tempted to try it on myself - a new legal high :evil:

any other cat owners noticed anything?
Oh dear...
Z4MR Carbon

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

We were warned against the Bob Martin treatment so only use Advantage now. Available online and works very well.

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri May 29, 2015 10:54 am

have read a few bad things about BM flea treatments

for example:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/s ... -treatment!

BUT must say my cat does the same and I havent treated her recently. I wrote it down to her being a dick, but I'm no vet :lol:

sort of reminds me of the vets line in this

Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

GaryT

Post by GaryT » Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 am

gov wrote: - am even tempted to try it on myself - a new legal high :evil:
:lol:

Big Red Cat

Post by Big Red Cat » Fri May 29, 2015 11:50 am

Mister T wrote:We were warned against the Bob Martin treatment so only use Advantage now. Available online and works very well.
I have also heard bad stuff about Bob Martin flea products. I tend to alternate between Advantage & Frontline.
Buy on-line from somewhere like http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/ for the best prices.
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Has the flea treatment worked? My cat used to get a bit grumpy from flea bites; if he's scratching give him half a piriton in the meantime and if that does the trick, flea treatment again.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

gov

Post by gov » Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Have used BM on the recommendation of the pet shop supplier - not a good thing to do on hindsight - according to the shop he said BM was just as effective as the more expensive treatments such as Frontline - as regards the fleas it does seem to work although it's only the occasional flea that he seems to get - SWMBO is paranoid about fleas in the house.
After reading the links I might just do nothing in future . We have 5 cats next door - 2 of which literally call for him to come out and play so I don't think he's stressed out - he is inclined to be nervous with anyone other than my wife and I which I believe may have been the way he was treated before we got him ( Ex Cat's Protection )

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 am

I would say no the method amd way the flea stuff works is not like that. but im no vet just know ehat i know.I would also say stop wasting your money on bob Martin flea stuff or any flea stuff you can buy off a shelf in a shop.
The reason being is they reduce/change the formula to make it able to sell over the counter. The vet stuff is like a prescription and works better. From having the little blighters for many years and the fact that fatty is massively difficult to get fleas out of her fur I wouldn't trust the cheaper ones.

Frontline used to be good but bayer made it available and strangely it stopped being as effective
Proud Whip owner ;)

wattsie

Post by wattsie » Sat May 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Our vet told me that Bob Martins flea stuff raises the cats core temperature for the first few days to make the fur not as homely to fleas.... missy went bat sh1t crazy..... Advocate seems to be working fine!

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Always use Advocate on my two,and they seem fine.I do keep them away from the dog for a day when they have been treated.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm

gov wrote:...he's had his first dose of Bob Martin Spot On - within a couple of days he's become a bigger pain ie rushing all round the house yelling at any closed doors and acting a bit strange - I'm beginning to wonder if this flea treatment has some hallucinatory adage that is making him high...
Maybe you misread the label and it's actually Bob Marley Toke On... :w00t: :dizzy:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat May 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Advocate is good but I don't think it protects against ticks which Frontline does

vanilla

Post by vanilla » Sun May 31, 2015 11:47 pm

I use frontline and he doesn't like the process and usually sleeps a lot moping the rest of the day afterwards. But not why hyper behaviour your cat is showing. Try a different one and see if the effect is the same.
I haven't tried Bob Martin but compare the ingredients and see if there is something different?
2.0 SE Z4 Roadster Sapphire Black, Red Leather.
MM gear knob.
R. I. P :(