Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UPDATED - Painting a Caravan

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Roundozo

UPDATED - Painting a Caravan

Post by Roundozo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Me and the Mrs have bought a cheapo caravan. I'm not a fan of them at all really but it means we can get out and about and enjoy some outdoor living and we also have a canoe so that'll be fun. Anyhow, I really dislike the colour these were built in and was wondering how I could make it look slightly better.

My plan is to paint it French grey or satin black with a cream top and keeping the metal work clean. I think this will look great but what paint can I use? I don't want to spend loads, remember is a cheapo caravan, but I was thinking of using plastikote. Do you think this will work? I'll clean it first and then go over it with some scouring pads to give the paint a good hold but I don't really want to do much more. The plastikote stuff covers about 2.5m2 so I'll need quite a few cans.

Anyway all thoughts and pointers appreciated.

P.s. don't worry, the zed isn't towing it!
Last edited by Roundozo on Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Painting a Caravan

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 am

Would be good to see a photo of the caravan, but imho plastikote on it will look crap on big flat panels and in weeks start to chip and peel. It'll also look like you did it with a roller. I've seen plenty of brush painted caravans in my off-roading adventures :thumbsdown:

It really needs spraying correctly and given you're looking to save money I'd rub it down, mask the metal and spray with large rattle cans. Get some big ones made up at a local paint shop in a colour you like.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

85genius

Post by 85genius » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 am

My mates brother does caravan repairs and he sprays them exactly the same way as you do a car, in fact I got him to repair one of my old cars when I smashed it
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:23 am

We have been caravanning for years, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:35 am

So I would prepare the areas with a light sand after washing it etc and would obviously mask off Windows and trim etc but I just wanted to know if I'd need to use a primers as well.

The roof and top of the sides will remain white with either a French/Lamborghini grey or satin black sides, front and rear. I might also put a couple of pin stripes down the side.

I'll try and get a picture up soon. I don't want to get it done professionally as the entire van is only worth 800.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:47 am

Roundozo wrote:So I would prepare the areas with a light sand after washing it etc and would obviously mask off Windows and trim etc but I just wanted to know if I'd need to use a primers as well.

The roof and top of the sides will remain white with either a French/Lamborghini grey or satin black sides, front and rear. I might also put a couple of pin stripes down the side.

I'll try and get a picture up soon. I don't want to get it done professionally as the entire van is only worth 800.
For what you're doing you'll be fine to give it a real good wash, allow to dry, light wet and dry to key the paint and remove dead paint, mask and panel spray. Do it when warm and not windy as you'll no doubt be outside.
Won't be perfect, but you know that :wink:

Satin will go on easier, but also harder to keep clean.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 pm

You'd be better off using something like Tekaloid coach paint and a roller.

You've got such a large surface area on a caravan that using rattle cans will end up costing a fortune.

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:04 pm

Caravan club even publish a leaflet on this, Tekaloid recommended:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclu ... van-mo.pdf
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Picked up the caravan. Lots of work done but not ready for the full reveal yet but here's a teaser of the Lamborghini grey colour (this is the bit that covers the tow bar).

Johnross

Post by Johnross » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:12 am

thought this post was going to be a euphemism , but it really is about "painting a caravan" :roll:

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:44 am

I have been on here long enough not to even question why someone would write about painting a caravan on the Z4-Forum!

In fact, I think that's why I like the Forum so much - mainly about Zeds but plenty of other things going on.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:12 am

Hope you enjoy the caravan

slick

Post by slick » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Roundozo wrote:Picked up the caravan. Lots of work done but not ready for the full reveal yet but here's a teaser of the Lamborghini grey colour (this is the bit that covers the tow bar).
I cant wait for a pic of a caravan on that table :?
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Well I thought I'd update this just in case anyone was actually interested although I do appreciate its difficult to be interested in a caravan.

The outside will be finished this summer as didn't have time in the end last summer but the inside has now been finished. Here are a load of photos for anyone interested. Before, during and after.....
ImageImageImageImageImage[/URL[URL=http://s273.photobucket.com/user/roundo ... z.jpg.html]ImageImageImageImage

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:57 pm

updated and modernised...

Look forward to seeing the outer colour when it's all done.
I'm not a fan of caravans but appreciate you're putting the time and effort in here so credit where credit's due!! :thumbsup:
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs