Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Terrifying loss of traction Porsche 718 S

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 am

I have to say you've definitely taken the advice/criticism like a gentleman - some have been a little harsher than others haha!

Just to add my tuppence;
I fully appreciate Porsches of your vintage are a significantly more technically advanced thing compared to the z4, but I've definitely found on slower tighter corners in the wet with the traction control fully on, it can be a little slow to prevent oversteer, and in fact can exacerbate the problem by reducing power abruptly as you're trying to countersteer into the slide to balance the car. Ive not seen the video yet but would suggest it's probably worth bearing in mind in future - it's certainly something I'm very careful with having had a bit of a squeaky-bum moment of my own early on in the coupe ownership :lol:

Definitely echo Flimpers comments above too, supersports are pants when cold! They are jolly entertaining when you're suitably prepared for having a bit of fun though :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:12 am

JustCruzin wrote:
flimper wrote:What tyres do you have on the car? I know for a fact the Michelin Super Sports are shocking when cold
Pirelli P Zero N1.There are apparently N1 and N0 tyres. Have no idea what the difference is but of course N1s just happen to be more expensive!!

P zeros are terrible! I'd replace them ASAP before you get bitten harder! Probably hit a greasy patch or diesel.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 am

JustCruzin wrote:LOL :D :D :D

The music! Wet myself laughing about this. Feel so much better! There's a radio station called Rinse FM that I occasionally listen to but, OK what was playing at that moment wasn't my favourite genre :lol: :) . I am no gangster!

Great advice and comments all round- truly grateful for this. I must take up my complimentary Porsche track day at Silverstone!

I think most of you are correct. Driver error and too heavy on the pedal, but in my defence, traction control was definitely on (drive was set to normal mode). I was a little surprised that this appears to occurred at sub 40 mph but I guess if the surface had ice and or diesel on it then it would have happened at 30 mph. Tyres were probably a little cold as I had only been driving 5 miles to that point.

Well I guess it could have been much worse as many of you have stated. I am hopefully looking at no more than two new tyres and having two rim dents which all in all I think will come in at under £700 hopefully.

My respect for the power of cars of this type with RWD has certainly risen. I would love winter tyres but the funds really cannot stretch that far at the moment.

Once again I am indebted for all the advice which I know is the sum of similar experiences and driving skills far in excess of my own.

Feeling better thanks to you lot.

Cheers Arif :D
Well played, sah! :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 am

Yes, fair play OP!

Not only did you post your "moment" but you have replied to some fairly harsh views. :thumbsup:

I hope the fix isn't too painful on your wallet, and that you keep enjoying your P & J. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 am

All said and done, WHAT A CAR!

Mike

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:20 am

I'd echo all of the common above, i think everyone's done it at some point. Wet, cold, sliproad, acellerate too early in the corner and reaction of lifting off concatenates the issue.

If it makes you feel any better, a guy did this trying to chase my mate in his M3 a few weeks ago, except he was going at 2x your speed, did the same thing in an M5 Comp Pack (66 plate), undertook my mate whilst fully out of control and ploughed over a junction into a hedge. Write off, 2 month old £100k car.

Be careful out there - Z4 and other short wheel base cars with summer rubber are a nightmare in cold/wet temps. On the other hand - my c63 is hilarious fun with V8 torque, 487bhp, LSD and 255 rears :D
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 am

JustCruzin wrote: traction control was definitely on (drive was set to normal mode).
This really surprised me. I have similar power/torque in my z4 and similar weight, but I cant imagine this happening with traction control. And that is a traction control system based on 12 year old technology.

In the video I can hear you giving some gas when still cornering (but after the apex), but still, you're following a slow driving suv, so speeds are low.
I have no experience with pdk but do you know if the pdk shifted down while still in corner? Every shift will cause a weight transfer in the body or at least a torque change that can upset the balance on the car.

That you couldnt hold the car is normal, mid engined cars are difficult to catch, especially when you're off guard.

Get a wheel alignment after this crash.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 am

Maniac wrote:IMO it's still in the back, it might not be on the bumper but it's in the last 1/3 of the car which is going to have some effect on this type of control loss.
When I spun my MR2 which was mid engined I was in affect just a passenger and happened so fast. You get like a pendulum affect even though the engine wasn't right at the back. I think the OP did pretty well to stop a full spin or side slide as it's all in an instant.

Tim.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:40 am

Hats off to the OP, great attitude to the feedback :hattip:

I think Tim and Guido and others rightly focus on the mid-engine characteristics of the car being very different when 'lost'. I'm sure the Porsche day will be a great benefit, I'd attend in a heart-beat :thumbsup:
Last edited by Ewazix on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:50 am

On the Porsche day, you will drive on the low friction road and the skid pans as well. Very useful to feel how the car behaves and you do those a few dozen times, learning to steer the car with the accelerator rather than the steering wheel.

Sorry to hear about the wheel damage though, but I think everyone will do something like that to some extend in their driving life and learn from it.

Now that music ….
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:57 pm

I am lucky in the fact I have never lost control of a car, maybe this is for a few reasons with the main reason never really having a powerful car but the reason I like to think is because I done all my learning of slippy roads and losing traction on 2 wheels where if you were not careful and prepared you would get bitten hard.
Lovely car and although you have suffered a bit of damage it can be repaired and it could have been a lot worse.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Sae

Post by Sae » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Good post constructive comments all round :thumbsup:

Its a learning experience, and dont think that ever stops no matter what youre driving.

I think youre incident does highlight an interesting point about driver aids in general. I would agree that with comments that it wouldnt have happened in a zed because i think they have more nanny factor by default, ive done what youve done several times in the zed in cold weather on non sport mode, the tc etc reins it all in and straightens itself before Ive even had a chance to even think about "catching it".
But in your clip it looks like youre entering a deliberate drift coming out the corner so the porsche is probably thinking "game on" and left you to it which is why it didnt intervene, so with a bit of learning, looks youll get more grins and less pant stains in the future :)
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for taking the chance and posting up the vid; its a reminder to us all how easy it is to momentarily lose control.
Also, great attitude in your response to all the feedback (some quite harsh) :thumbsup:
Thats one stunning motor you have there :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S