Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Discovery etc on sky

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MartynFrancis

Discovery etc on sky

Post by MartynFrancis » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

So, what everyone take on the whole discovery demanding £1bn from Sky or face loosing it and associated channels from their listing from the 31st
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

Paulwirral

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 pm

I've just re newed my sky contract , basic package but with the discovery channels , if they get turned off I'll be cancelling altogether and making do with the free to air channels , there's only really the car programmes and a couple if the mockumentry alaska -gold type programmes on sky I watch anyway

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Discovery etc on sky

Post by ranski » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:52 pm

I canceled Sky the end of 2016, we now use Kodi running off a couple of Amazon Fire TV's. Everything is on there and if you install a good build its all 720 or 1080 content

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Discovery etc on sky

Post by sticky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Done with Sky, got BT from 1st Feb @ lower price for what I actually want to watch. F1 50% + highlights is on CH 4 this season and on the way is Sky F1 pay per view. No brainer, dump them,

bluespit

Discovery etc on sky

Post by bluespit » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:48 pm

shafted again - I only really watch discover for the car programmes.

we do use the sky record thing lots though, wonder what BT have - do they have discovery? Wheeler dealers in particular. I know its fiction but it's OK

need to investigate TV more I think
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

chapeau

Discovery etc on sky

Post by chapeau » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:11 am

I had sky hd for a number of years but switched to BT 2 years ago and couldn't be more impressed.
It had all of the channels i usually watch (eurosport for cycling, discovery, the kids channels for my boys) and all for much less than sky costs.
Here are the channels available:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... n-bt-tv%3F
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Swiftly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:00 pm

I have been looking at these boxes http://www.zgemma.co.uk/twin-sat-tuner?product_id=66 which look interesting. There is also a company http://www.satsni.com/ in Northern Ireland which gets good reviews, although not sure how the technology all fits together as I believe you have to use a combination of your own satellite dish (for the signal) and the internet for the programmes?? Does anyone know if they are any use or have any experience of them, or are they just a waste of money?
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Swiftly wrote:I have been looking at these boxes http://www.zgemma.co.uk/twin-sat-tuner?product_id=66 which look interesting. There is also a company http://www.satsni.com/ in Northern Ireland which gets good reviews, although not sure how the technology all fits together as I believe you have to use a combination of your own satellite dish (for the signal) and the internet for the programmes?? Does anyone know if they are any use or have any experience of them, or are they just a waste of money?
I have a ZGemma - LOVE IT :)

Mike

Wrs

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Wrs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Swiftly wrote:I have been looking at these boxes http://www.zgemma.co.uk/twin-sat-tuner?product_id=66 which look interesting. There is also a company http://www.satsni.com/ in Northern Ireland which gets good reviews, although not sure how the technology all fits together as I believe you have to use a combination of your own satellite dish (for the signal) and the internet for the programmes?? Does anyone know if they are any use or have any experience of them, or are they just a waste of money?
I was fed up with price rises so cancelled Sky (£100+ per month) and bought a Zgemma H2S earlier this month. Couldn't be happier!

You should also consider :-

Wooshbuild V5 (Sly GUI) & Telly'mote App (Zgemma remote is ok but needs to be pointed at the box)

The only downside? HD channels are only available on FTA channels. But £80 for the box + £99 for a year of all Sky package channels inc. Box office is a no brainer imo.
Last edited by Wrs on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Wrs wrote:
I was fed up with price rises so cancelled Sky (£100+ per month) and bought a Zgemma H2S earlier this month. Couldn't be happier!

You will also need :-

1. C-Linie.com
2. Wooshbuild V5 (Sky GUI)
3. Telly'mote App (Zgemma remote is ok but needs to be pointed at the box)

The only downside? HD channels are only available on FTA channels. But £80 for the box + £99 for a year of all Sky package channels inc. Box office is a no brainier imo.
You CAN get the HD channels if you have a cable feed and a H.2H box :) The box has both a sat AND a cable tuner. £99 for a year?? I pay £12 :)

Mike

Wrs

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Wrs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Sorry your right - I was referring to old Sky (satellite) customers switching like myself rather than Virgin (cable) customers. Cable or a sat dish that rotates will indeed give you HD channels.

Maybe cable c-lines are cheaper?

I'm still learning :oops: but yeh a friend said to check out c-linie.
Last edited by Wrs on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Discovery etc on sky

Post by sticky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 pm

bluespit wrote:shafted again - I only really watch discover for the car programmes.

we do use the sky record thing lots though, wonder what BT have - do they have discovery? Wheeler dealers in particular. I know its fiction but it's OK

need to investigate TV more I think
BT boxes also record

jimmybell

Discovery etc on sky

Post by jimmybell » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm

are there any of these systems that offer traditional terrestrial channels?

We had (the entire of SW16 in London) a 4 day Virgin Media outage this weekend (TV+Broadband), and considering i was already debating dropping their TV, i'm now pretty sure of it. Back down to entry level broadband and no TV/phone methinks. £70/month or whatever at the moment seems .. OTT.

As a consequence, and that we largely use prime+netflix now for most specific choice watching, i don't see the need for much beyond the typical freeview content. Any recommendations on how best to deliver this? And possibly offer some sort of tivo style recording? (gotta get my fill of grand designs and ensure i don't miss top gear..)

I appreciate i could Kodi my Amazon Fire Stick but i'm inclined to keep it stock, but really i want a non-internet reliant TV method too .. i think (?!)
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Wrs wrote:Sorry your right - I was referring to old Sky (satellite) customers switching like myself rather than Virgin (cable) customers. Cable or a sat dish that rotates will indeed give you HD channels.

I'm still learning :oops: but yeh went with C-Linie.com and so far so good.
I have two lines in my box, 1 for cable, 1 for Sky, £24 for 12 months.

Ebay is your friend..

Mike

Wrs

Discovery etc on sky

Post by Wrs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
Wrs wrote:Sorry your right - I was referring to old Sky (satellite) customers switching like myself rather than Virgin (cable) customers. Cable or a sat dish that rotates will indeed give you HD channels.

I'm still learning :oops: but yeh went with C-Linie.com and so far so good.
I have two lines in my box, 1 for cable, 1 for Sky, £24 for 12 months.

Ebay is your friend..

Mike
:thumbsup: ..