Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fake watches - how do you tell.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sharpyboy

Post by sharpyboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

You would think Gumtree and the like had a responsibility not to sell these fakes or at least state they are "fakes or replicas" as legally on dubious ground with copyright infringement. :x
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

Post by sticky » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:55 pm

sharpyboy wrote:You would think Gumtree and the like had a responsibility not to sell these fakes or at least state they are "fakes or replicas" as legally on dubious ground with copyright infringement. :x
Not in this country and apparently not within the EU, it"s only when the ad states "geniune" does the question of fraud come up.
The rest is is down the seller and buyer.
Strange also is that you can be prosecuted if you get caught importing the fakes and if you trade openly at markets with them but ebog and gumtree seem to get around advertising them openly

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 am

bluespit wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:Yup, that's a fake. My Speed master DSOTM came with a ballistic nylon strap. Oh, and the retail in them is , £7,500 odd...

The colour is wrong, a real one has a black ceramic case, the glass on that is curved and it should be flat, the bezel should also be etched and engraved ceramic too..

This is a real one;

SP_Moonwatch_DSotM_31192445101003_vueC_640x480.jpg

The fakes can be had much cheaper than that too..
http://www.ukswisswatches.org.uk/replic ... p-442.html

So he's chancing his arm at £200!

Mike
Now I can't tell the difference between the real and fake one you show. £90!!! Will it work?

The two square watches are obviously different.
It'll probably work...

The Tag Heuer he is selling is a more convincing fake though...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-watches/ ... 1215711694

Looks like he's making £100 profit a pop..

Mike

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 am

Several years ago, while on holiday at Pisa, a fellow offered me a deal on a Rolex. :?
I hesitated of course.
He tried to sweeten the deal with a 2 year warranty.
That's 2 years with no worries :rofl:
just sayin'
Bumpy

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:28 am

It's interesting they can get away with selling fake watches on Gumtree. I'm puzzled how something that's illegal to bring into the country (Border control can and do stop these if they can identify them) is okay to sell online (not talking about overseas websites). Just because a watch ad showing watches with Rolex, Breitling, TAG Heuer, etc on the dial, doesn't actually say 'genuine' is a pretty weak defense - they are clearly selling a fake with a real brand name on it. Weird :-?
Still I'd rather see police resources directed at fake pharmaceuticals and aircraft parts than watches or bags; you're not usually putting people's lives at risk when strapping on a fake watch.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:09 am

There usually are clues - OH bought a Calvin Klein watch from a guy in the street in Hong Kong for the equivalent of £1.50!

Didn't really expect it to be genuine, but it was cheaper than a battery for a Casio in the UK and it looked smart.

Now the battery is dead maybe it needs to go on Gumtree or Ebay? :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 am

bluespit wrote:
No, but I bet there are some fakes selling for genuine prices. I wouldn't know what was genuine and what wasn't.
In that case you are the perfect punter for anyone less than legitimate!

If you do decide to buy one please go to a reputable dealer, and pay with a credit card just in case!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
bluespit wrote:
No, but I bet there are some fakes selling for genuine prices. I wouldn't know what was genuine and what wasn't.
In that case you are the perfect punter for anyone less than legitimate!

If you do decide to buy one please go to a reputable dealer, and pay with a credit card just in case!
Agreed, why I'd probably buy from the high street or via somewhere like advised above. But I'd still only have their word it was genuine.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am

bluespit wrote:Ok. Now I'm nothing like an expert or even an enthusiast. But I've always fancied a premium watch. Everything I've seen has been £2000 plus and I may well treat myself sometime soon

But what this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-watches/ ... 1215711807
Just a load of tat. End of, not even worth a comment
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 am

I've got a real Tag Heuer ... it doesn't look as nice as that fake one ... think I'll ask for my money back! ... :D
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
The fakes can be had much cheaper than that too..
http://www.ukswisswatches.org.uk/replic ... p-442.html

Random piece of advice to anyone considering buying a replica watch.... DO NOT USE THE link above ukswisswatches they are known scammers and whilst they will send you a watch it will be nothing like the pictures or description on their website!
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:54 pm

85genius wrote: Random piece of advice to anyone considering buying a replica watch.... DO NOT !
There, fixed that for ya :thumbsup:
For the price of some of these 'good' fakes, you can get genuine, warrantied watches that will last longer.
E.g. something like this for around £160 - peanuts. 300m water resistant, sapphire crystal, leather and NATO straps.
http://drakenwatches.com/
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport