Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage door lighting

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garage door lighting

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 pm

I have just had a double width Hormann sectional door put in and am looking for some lighting to illuminate the door and a bit of the drive. I see a lot of folks use 3 or 4 downlights, but I have also seen LED strip lights?

Any suggestions for options? If I go with downlights do I just use normal ones, bathroom rated ones, or special waterproof ones?

Not looking for anything too glaring, just something subtle.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door lighting

Post by Nictrix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm

I assume its not an electric door?
We have a single Hormann sectional door but it is electric and the light that is attached to the motor is enough to see and reverse into the garage.
Electric doors are great and I dont think we would ever want to go back to a manual door.
I bought a spotlight to fit above the door but the light from inside is plenty to see by so I have never fitted it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door lighting

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:03 am

if there is a power a little led security light works well, opening the garage door will set it off, I find mine pretty handy too in winter as if im nipping into the garage for a tool or owt then i dont have to fumble about looking for the striplight switch..i have something like the one below..its not too bright but gives off a nice clean white, you can getter higher wattage if required

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Floodlights-Wa ... floodlight
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door lighting

Post by Number5 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 am

If you hook-up a relay into the light feed on the motor itself, you can then switch anything you like from it.

I have a 12/230v relay, so when my remote fires the garage door, the 3 downlighters outside immediately fire and stay on for the same 2-3 minute period that the motor light remains on. I find this is plenty to drive in and get out of the car, before it all goes off again.

* But I am an electrician !
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garage door lighting

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:35 am

Hi guys,

Sorry, yes it is an electric door and the lighting inside the garage is fine, I am just talking about accent lighting (decorative) on the outside, when the door is shut, casts some light onto the door and the surrounding floor area.

Like this attached image, on the top of the door there is light. Just interested in different options.
Attachments
IMG_2488.PNG
IMG_2488.PNG (194.78 KiB) Viewed 902 times
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Rob s

Garage door lighting

Post by Rob s » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 am

I guess you options will depend on the overhand space you have above the garage door. I have about a 30cm overhang so have put in spotlights with GU10 bulbs - the sort you would use for a bathroom.
A friend of mine has almost no over hang and has used a LED strip (from Amazon) secured with a few wire/cable clips and double sided 3M tape.
Z4MR

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garage door lighting

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I have about 6 inch overhang which is easily accessible from above. GU10s were one idea I had, just thought I'd see if anyone had done anything different before I pull the trigger

dan yeates

Garage door lighting

Post by dan yeates » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Here are mine:

Image2012-11-26 at 18-01-59 by Daniel Yeates, on Flickr

Image2012-11-26 at 17-58-48 by Daniel Yeates, on Flickr

3x LED downlighters and 2x up/down side lights

I like them. They work via a PIR sensor. They provide a good amount of light on the drive, without being a nuisance to the neighbours at night.
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

dan yeates

Garage door lighting

Post by dan yeates » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 pm

ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S