Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW/Alpina Corrosion Warranty.

Alpina Specific discussion
MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Sun May 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Today I noticed that a small amount of paint bubbling is appearing around the boot lock key hole. It is approximately about 5mm x 5mm in size.
This obviously will only get worse over time I guess so I would like to know whether this would be covered under any BMW/Alpina corrosion warranty, car was first registered in 2005.

Also if it is possibly covered under warranty who would be the best person/department at a BMW dealership to speak to? (or go directly to Alpina/Sytner?) And should they try to absolve themselves of any responsibility either being out of time etc. what would be a good counter argument?
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Ignoring the fact that you're now outside the 12-year period of the anti-corrosion warranty, if you look at the wording of the corrosion warranty it 'covers corrosion which occurs from inside the metal panels or box sections' so I think you may find that they'll say that the blistering you've seen would normally come under the paintwork warranty rather than the anti-corrosion warranty - if so, you're well past the 36 month warranty period for this.

Paintwork Warranty
The paintwork warranty covers your vehicle against defects such as blistering, discolouration or staining of the visible surface of all painted body panels occurring as a result of faulty manufacture or workmanship for a period of 36 months on vehicles registered from 1st January 2004 without any mileage limitation.

Anti-Corrosion Warranty
All new BMW cars registered from 1st January 2004 are covered by a 12-year anti-corrosion warranty against perforation by rust.

All repair work carried out under the anti-corrosion warranty must be carried out by an authorised BMW Dealer or authorised repairer. The warranty covers corrosion which occurs from inside the metal panels or box sections of the car.

The warranty does not cover corrosion caused by neglect, accident damage, stone chips or other external influences.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Perry, much appreciated. :thumbsup: Sounds like there is no chance of getting it sorted under warranty.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 pm

MerBrook wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm Thanks for the reply Perry, much appreciated. :thumbsup: Sounds like there is no chance of getting it sorted under warranty.
Nothing stopping you trying, you have nothing to lose but your time... if they won't do it, it's probably worth getting a full respray on the boot lid, nice and easy for a bodyshop as it can be removed in a few minutes
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 pm
MerBrook wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm Thanks for the reply Perry, much appreciated. :thumbsup: Sounds like there is no chance of getting it sorted under warranty.
Nothing stopping you trying, you have nothing to lose but your time... if they won't do it, it's probably worth getting a full respray on the boot lid, nice and easy for a bodyshop as it can be removed in a few minutes
Your right, I think I might give it a try as you say nothing to lose. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun May 07, 2017 10:02 pm

I have a small lacquer peel on one wing - been there for a couple of years, and when I went to Sopers to have it checked out, they were very apologetic but stated that it was outside of any warranty. Interestingly, they came out with a paint meter to check the paint was original as well. Did make me an offer for a wing respray, but I politely declined as I'll get the bonnet and other wing done at the same time.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

MerBrook

Post by MerBrook » Mon May 08, 2017 7:12 pm

A quick update. Spoke to the bodyshop manager at Rybrook Warwick today, unfortunately the 12 years warranty period was over in April of this year. He said that unlike other parts etc there is not any goodwill given by BMW on the corrosion and paint warranties so it is 12 years to the day, also would of had a few other hoops to go through as well but was worth the call. Thanks for all the replies, most helpful as usual.