Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

nfbr's 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Blog/Build-Thread

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
nfbr

Re: My 2007 Ruby Black Z4 Coupé! Diary/Blog/Build Thread

Post by nfbr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:51 pm

Tuesday night was Spring time! Not so much the season, but more the upgrade/lowering kind of spring!
Armed with a workshop, a metric mega f**k ton of speciality tools and several mugs of hot Vimto, Myself and colleague Mike set about getting the springs on the car!

First up - Got the car on the ramp and whipped the wheels off. First up, The rear springs!

These were dead straight forward. We used an axle jack to hold each corner whilst removing the main lower damper bolt

Once the bolt is out lower and remove the axle jack allowing the spring pan to lower enough to pull the spring out
** Apologies for Mike's creepy pose, This unfortunately is the result of too much hot Vimto... **

A quick comparison of the rear springs: (OEM left, Eibach Right)

Re-using the original upper and lower rubber spring caps, insert the new spring, use the axle jack to raise the spring pan up until you can get the lower shock bolt back in.

Next up was the front springs! Here's a quick comparison photo.

The front struts are held on by the three nuts at the top of the strut tower and slid into the hub carrier gripped from behind with a pinch bolt.

Unfortunately at this point, despite wishing to take more photos, the battery on my iPhone went flat, so I have no more pics :(
The removal and refitting of the complete strut unit were relatively easy, but even with the most up to date heavy duty spring compressors, the M-Sport dampers being such short travel made it a bit of a pain in the ass to get the original springs off and the new ones on.
I'll not go into details about the procedure we chose to use to finally get the springs on as it was neither safe, nor recommended.

Before and After measurements as follows - Measured from the centre of the Wheel Centre Cap, directly up to the tip of the wheel arch.
-----------------------------------------------------
Front Left: 355mm before, 340mm After
Front Right: 353mm before, 340mm After
Rear Left: 365mm before, 353mm After
Rear Right: 364mm before, 353mm After
At this point, they have not really been given a chance to settle, so I will report back after a month or so once they've been used and settled a little.

Anyway - The after-photos show it pretty well, Bare in mind that this still has no wheel spacers installed!

Front:

Rear:

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:27 am

Nice touches once again. Looking forward to seeing the spacers fitted 8)

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks Dale!

Love your Alpine White! Wish I'd have been able to find one in that colour when I was buying.

Spacers will be on as soon as I've worked out what colour to paint the damn calipers.
Fog light restoration at well then too!

John002

Post by John002 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

That looks way better. I'm going to bite the bullet on this also. Fronts look tricky to do so may wimp out and have a garage do it.

What's next after spacers?
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:04 pm

John002 wrote:That looks way better. I'm going to bite the bullet on this also. Fronts look tricky to do so may wimp out and have a garage do it.

What's next after spacers?
Transmission: Diff oil
Suspension: Rear trailing arm bushes, M3 Front ARB, Geometry Reset, Rear top mount reinforcement plates
Brakes: Paint Calipers, Drilled Discs and Slightly uprated pads, Braided Hoses, brake fluid upgrade
Exterior: Recondition Fog lamp units, Possible wheel refurb if I can find a set of loaner wheels

Be ready to enjoy in summer then :)
Last edited by nfbr on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John002

Post by John002 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:42 pm

I asked for the diff oil to be replaced at last service and was told they couldn't as its sealed. Had a feeling they had just forgot to do it :headbang: :thumbsdown: ?????

Might be worth while asking your wheel refurb place if they can swap/loan you a set temporary. Some prefer this than you leaving the car with them.

Good luck :driving:

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

John002 wrote:I asked for the diff oil to be replaced at last service and was told they couldn't as its sealed. Had a feeling they had just forgot to do it :headbang: :thumbsdown: ?????

Might be worth while asking your wheel refurb place if they can swap/loan you a set temporary. Some prefer this than you leaving the car with them.

Good luck :driving:
I am my wheel refurb place... Or more so the co-ordinator of my own refurb. I can remove and refit tyres myself. I have a guy for media blasting, there are no bits of damage to the rim, so then it'll be off to someone else as I have a guy for powder coating.

If you were more local I'd have been happy to do a diff oil change for you as it's real easy to do!
I've got my oil in order from eBay for £27.00 (2-litres - 1.2-litres required)

John002

Post by John002 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 pm

that's good to know, sure you'll get some work from here.

Thanks for the offer also :thumbsup:

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:21 am

John002 wrote:that's good to know, sure you'll get some work from here
Would you believe it, I'm not even a mechanic/technician/engineer!
I'm actually a product manager (Online Product and Promotion coordinator) but I just love working on cars so much.

To add to the list I'm doing a little development on the exhaust side of things with my Z too, but I'll keep it quiet for the time being as I'm unsure if it'll work yet.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Totally forgot that my Extended Black wheel bolts had turned up!
So here's a complimentary photograph! :) And also my new Schwaben wheel installation tool that makes fitting/removing wheels much easier! Especially when using bolt through wheel spacers!

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44 am

Excellent news - My Differential oil has turned up this morning - Gives me a nice easy job to do at the weekend along side cleaning and painting up the calipers!

2-Litres of Castrol's finest Syntrax LL 75w90 :)

greenson

Post by greenson » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Nice work dude! :thumbsup:

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 pm

nfbr wrote:
Transmission: Diff oil
Suspension: Rear trailing arm bushes, M3 Front ARB, Geometry Reset, Rear top mount reinforcement plates
Brakes: Paint Calipers, Drilled Discs and Slightly uprated pads, Braided Hoses, brake fluid upgrade
Exterior: Recondition Fog lamp units, Possible wheel refurb if I can find a set of loaner wheels

Be ready to enjoy in summer then :)
Just thought I'd mention if you go for Braided hoses call hel and get some two piece hoses made up. The standard setup uses 3 hoses per side but if you call they will make them up and also save you about £40
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:30 pm

greenson wrote:Nice work dude! :thumbsup:
Thanks man! :)
adam1985 wrote:Just thought I'd mention if you go for Braided hoses call hel and get some two piece hoses made up. The standard setup uses 3 hoses per side but if you call they will make them up and also save you about £40
Nice one! I deal with Hel for some of the E46 stuff we do at work so should be able to sort something out with them.

I did have thoughts about making up full front to back braided lines and doing away with the crappy metal pipe work as I have all the kit at work for making them up. It usually only gets used on Mk1/Mk2 golfs though.

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:54 pm

The first of another bunch of jobs on the Coupé this weekend! A diff oil change.

For the first part of this job, the Heatshield/Undertray protecting the diff needs to be removed to give you access to the Drain and Fill Plugs:

Next up, You need to located the fill plug, and make sure that comes out cleanly! If it doesn't come out, then stop what you're doing and do not drain the oil!

Once you have confirmed the fill plug comes out nicely, you can now locate the drain plug and eject the original diff oil! The Drain plug is just below the right hand inner CV Joint.

Here's a quick snap of a Sample of the fresh diff oil.

And now for a quick snap of the Sample of the old diff oil. I'm happy with how it's come out! Have seen this stuff much much blacker, so this shade of Cola was good news to see! Not bad at all for 75,000 miles!

As I'd lost my gearbox oil filling tool, I had to rig up a temporary filling device! This came in the way of a 18mm Silicone hose and a funnel to fashion a gravity feed
The hose needs to be inserted by around 1-2 inches to properly fill the diff.

Once in position, the funnel will need holding up high and the first litre of the oil pouring into said funnel.
This bit takes a while and you'll probably need to swap hands a few times.

Once the first litre is in, Get a spotter under neath the car and pour in another 250ml.
Once the spotter sees the oil coming out of the fill plug, that's when you're full! Get the pipe out, and pop the fill plug back in!

That's it! Done :)
Next job to come soon!