Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FS: Whippy aerial. Edit: now the most important and divisive poll on this forum! ;)

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)

Stubby, whippy or nowt?

Stubby
57%
Whippy
40%
Total delete, they both look sh!te.
3%

Total votes: 116

D4dawg

FS: Whippy aerial. Edit: now the most important and divisive poll on this forum! ;)

Post by D4dawg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 pm

NickDE wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
extrablatt wrote:I have the official BMW one. Was a gift in my Christmas stocking this year. I couldn't help but note the wording on the stubby box:

:thumbsup:

I couldn't have said it better.

And that blows any "whippy" enthusiast's reasoning out of the water!

Mike
So the Stubby-ists rely on the manufacturers statement on what looks good. In which case this only applies to those who dug deep and paid for the genuine BMW part. Those who bought the cheap pug-e-oot part haven't got the manufacturers written confirmation that it enhances a Z4 so have no defense left. :dizzy:
Whippers of course rely on natural good taste and don't need marketing hype. :whip:

For those who care about function rather than form, it is worth noting BMW do not commit that the stubby even matches the reception performance of the whippy. And the bumper aerial relies on an amplifier so will not have great reception in the first place.
:fuelfire: :stir: :titshake: :slappy:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:48 pm

NickDE wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
extrablatt wrote:I have the official BMW one. Was a gift in my Christmas stocking this year. I couldn't help but note the wording on the stubby box:

:thumbsup:

I couldn't have said it better.

Mike
So the Stubby-ists rely on the manufacturers statement on what looks good. In which case this only applies to those who dug deep and paid for the genuine BMW part. Those who bought the cheap pug-e-oot part haven't got the manufacturers written confirmation that it enhances a Z4 so have no defense left. :dizzy:
Whippers of course rely on natural good taste and don't need marketing hype. :whip:

For those who care about function rather than form, it is worth noting BMW do not commit that the stubby even matches the reception performance of the whippy. And the bumper aerial relies on an amplifier so will not have great reception in the first place.
BOTH are amplified, and where does it say that BMW say the stubby doesn't match the "reception" of the whippy?

OOPS, nowhere... AND neither does it say that the whippy is better than the stubby in that respect, yup, again, nowhere...

Mike

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
NickDE wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:

Mike

BOTH are amplified, and where does it say that BMW say the stubby doesn't match the "reception" of the whippy?

OOPS, nowhere... AND neither does it say that the whippy is better than the stubby in that respect, yup, again, nowhere...

Mike
So you agree that the whippy is the best aerial as well, I knew you would be won over. :rofl: :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:12 pm

bmwaddict wrote:
firebobby wrote:
bmwaddict wrote:I have a Peugeot one on mine, fits perfectly, follows the taper of the base exactly and looks great. Not like it has a huge Peugeot badge on it!
I suppose they are acceptable on the hatchback Z4, you don't want it getting in the way when your loading and unloading the shopping cart :P :rofl:
How dare you!

I always use a hand basket.

I'll admit the stubby is purely a visual enhancement, nobody's trying to say it's for anything else, but after all Fred, nobody in their right mind wants to drive around in what looks like an oversized R.C. Car now do they! :poke:
I thought that pink basket in your hatchback was a bit girlie and you were carrying it for Marc because his boot is full of cleaning products :P
I do have a rather large remote control by the way Dan :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:16 pm

It's simple really, just like whippy supporters :fuelfire:
The whippy is terrible, the stubby rules!
You're welcome
:topicclosed:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:24 pm

firebobby wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
NickDE wrote:

Mike
So you agree that the whippy is the best aerial as well, I knew you would be won over. :rofl: :thumbsup:
Typical "Whippite" totally ignoring what's written, and seeing only what they want to see.. Maybe they should illuminate the "tips of their whips" so that other road users can steer around them, as they plough on blindly....

Mike

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:31 pm

D4dawg wrote:
NickDE wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:

Mike

:fuelfire: :stir: :titshake: :slappy:
Or you could look at it another way... the whippy was a cheap OEM part they had lying around. And as most people are happy to just have their car with the stock parts, they saved money by not putting a stubby on every car, except for RC enthusiasts.

And who cares about reception, since it's only used for AM reception?! Spotify or even DAB if you don't connect your phone is surely better than AM. Is anything broadcast on there or just Russians looking communicate in order to hack forum polls? :rofl:
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 pm

extrablatt wrote: Or you could look at it another way... the whippy was a cheap OEM part they had lying around. And as most people are happy to just have their car with the stock parts, they saved money by not putting a stubby on every car, except for RC enthusiasts.

And who cares about reception, since it's only used for AM reception?! Spotify or even DAB if you don't connect your phone is surely better than AM. Is anything broadcast on there or just Russians looking communicate in order to hack forum polls? :rofl:
So cheap OEM parts, a bit like Purgealot parts bought off ebay ? :P

The actually quite useful info posted by Dukelakeview about 20 insults ago says the 'Rod Aerial' is for AM and FM, the 'Bumper Aerial' is for AM only. However, I sense the key issue in this deep and meaningful discussion is not about the functionality of the stubby vs whippy, but instead about the lack of taste demonstrated by Stubbers :poke:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:05 am

Z4 here doing 48mpg
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=93610
Must be down to the aerodynamic advantages of the whippy :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am

Who is the forum member in the vid?
Well, whoever it is, he made the right move by making his very first mod the replacement of the whippy for a stubby.
10 points. :lol:
Edit: oops, as poll originator i'm supposed to be neutral and impartial aren't I? Oh well, slapped wrist *chortle* :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:31 am

Chris_D wrote:Who is the forum member in the vid?
Well, whoever it is, he made the right move by making his very first mod the replacement of the whippy for a stubby.
I just see 'An error occured'. Even youtube recognise the fallacy of the stubby :fuelfire:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 am

NickDE wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Who is the forum member in the vid?
I just see 'An error occured'. Even youtube recognise the fallacy of the stubby :fuelfire:
:D i think ur wifi is knackered.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Chris_D wrote: :D i think ur wifi is knackered.
You may be right, although I am on LAN right now.
A photo of the stubby on my E46. It won't help resolve this discussion but it seemed vaguely relevant so what the hell...
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG (98.99 KiB) Viewed 975 times
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG (120.32 KiB) Viewed 975 times

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 pm

:rofl: :rofl:
This post is funny as hell

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:27 pm

D4dawg wrote::rofl: :rofl:
This post is funny as hell
It's also proved to be quite divisive! Lot's of opining, arguments and mickey-taking. But generally good banter of something so unassuming as a bleedin car aerial.
We're all bonkers. :trampoline: :dizzy: :play: :punch: