Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interesting observation of the day

"M" Specific discussion
ncrossy1980

Interesting observation of the day

Post by ncrossy1980 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Are they comparable, are they not? Totally different market, is it not? Different leagues or same sport?

I don't particularly care, I've got little interest in the value of my particular car neither now nor speculating for the future, this is absolutely not intended as fuel on the fire for a debate which seems never ending on this forum!

However!... :fuelfire:

I find it curiously intriguing that this has happened, I know it's all about supply and demand but either way, I don't want to spark a debate about whether this is right or wrong but I just thought y'know that's an interesting thing I just saw there! There's only 3 years between these cars.

Edit: I know I'm using a coupe as an example, but I'm 99% convinced I've seen a similar AUC roadster for similar money at some point very recently.
Edit no.2: If anything, now that I actually put some thought into what this might mean, all I can think about is wow... the 35iS looks like unbelievably good value now! If I was in the market again for a fast Z as a toy, I think I would seriously consider looking past the M and more towards the new gen.

abar121

Re: Interesting observation of the day

Post by abar121 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:18 pm

They might be similar in name and performance, but they are completely different in character and imho not really comparable. Both lovely cars in their own right.

The sDrive is a great GT car, certainly a nicer place to rack the miles up day in , day out. The roof adds practically.

But in terms of raw thrills and as a driver's car, the more compact, slightly lighter Z4M with it's screaming S54 is something else.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:39 pm

I guess it depends on what you want the car for..the coupe is priced very high,it's value is in its low mileage. Use it and it gonna go down in value...50k mile examples are not unusual at £18k (ish) so use that as a yardstick..

The 35is is priced at market value and it's gonna drop in price naturally... The prices haven't bottomed yet..

Both cars may return similar money if owned for a year, add 10k miles and put on the market??

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 pm

For me they are not comparable at all. I would never consider buying an e89 lovely as they may be, but then I didn't consider buying an e85 either. I guess I have fairly specific requirements, but to me they are quite different cars. The Mc imo is relatively raw and uncouth, the e89 is far more of a cruiser, much more comparable to an slk.
That the prices are similar doesn't suprise me, low volume last of the NA straight six M engines with manual gearboxes will surely stay strong vs last generation turbo motors in a somewhat overweight chassis can only still be going down?
Ultimately I think you choose what suits you, the value of the car when I come to sell it was extremely low down in my priorities list, it's hardly like we're going to make/lose a fortune either way.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:02 am

IMHO the two cars don't compare. I might consider 21k for an e86 but never for an e89. Just not my kind of car. :)

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:25 am

TomK wrote: it's hardly like we're going to make/lose a fortune either way.
This! Majority of threads these days seem to be speculation about the values going up or down, does anyone actually just enjoy owning the car anymore and driving it without crapping themselves about putting a bit of mileage on?!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:00 am

AndyBeech wrote:
TomK wrote: it's hardly like we're going to make/lose a fortune either way.
This! Majority of threads these days seem to be speculation about the values going up or down, does anyone actually just enjoy owning the car anymore and driving it without crapping themselves about putting a bit of mileage on?!
That would be me :D

1,600 miles in 5 days last week - and I wouldn't in a million years swap a single one of those miles for a few more quid on the price of my car :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:12 am

I wouldn't worry about it...

I would estimate I have done 30,000 miles in the various M cars I have had and always sold them for more money than I paid for them..
Doesn't matter what miles, there is always a buyer somewhere..

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:18 am

Too true, always gonna be a market for them, just takes a bit longer to find that buyer potentially. Wouldn't be worried either way, a cars to enjoy being driven in my eyes otherwise what's the point :)
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

markos

Post by markos » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 am

AndyBeech wrote:This! Majority of threads these days seem to be speculation about the values going up or down, does anyone actually just enjoy owning the car anymore and driving it without crapping themselves about putting a bit of mileage on?!
Worth remembering that in the current climate you could be worse off even if your Z4M is worth more than you paid for it! :o :o If you plan to upgrade to a more powerful/desirable used performance car it could cost you more than it would've 3-4 years ago. Whilst Z4M prices have remained steady or marginally increased, prices for some used 911s/Ferraris etc have rocketed!
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 am

I think my surprise was that BMW themselves now value the previous gen model higher than the current gen, the two cars are as close as it gets really without the old gen being a roadster. They're both low miles, there's only 3 years between them, they're both the top model of their respective gen.

Putting aside personal opinions on how the cars feel, character etc, in real terms aren't they're both Z4's. The e89 was a continuation/evolution/iteration of the Z4. The same continuation that you would see when they introduce a new 3 series, or Mazda refresh the MX-5, or Porsche and the 911. It might be a different car underneath but it's an evolution of the same model therefore in my view they're comparable irrespective of our own thoughts and feelings towards them?

Again, I think what struck me was that I don't think I've ever previously seen any AUC site valuing the previous gen vehicle... only 3 years younger, for more than then latest gen. Can't say I've researched it but I imagine you'd have to look long and hard to find that happening elsewhere.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 am

Not knocking the E89, but an M is an M, they are always going to hold a better value by virtue of what it is. The pedigree, history etc. as mentioned it also has the last great straight 6 engine made by the M chaps, that's worth a fair bit to some people in itself.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:58 am

It happens with some M cars..

Good E39 M5's are more expensive than some E60 M5's... Good E28 M5's cost more than some E39 M5's..

The E85 and E86 has had a big bounce in the market in the last year.....later on in the year,and into next will see if the bounce is still on the rise or fall...

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

The 35iS could be a big bargain - if you want rare they probably don't come much rarer than these.

The M will always have the "followers" - I think the 35iS will probably go the same way.

But as others have said - Don't buy them as investments :driving:

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 am

E89 = hairdresser's car.
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R