Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cut my roof off today!!

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by TomK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm

MrPT wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm Did you get a response? I reckon a two panel system using the shape of the “double bump” and a fixed centre section to keep the joints clean and to avoid having to weld in additional fixing tabs. Then push turn fasteners in all four corners on the underside.

I can see how you’d make the panels - potentially by “cutting and shutting” a CF roof with additional CF end plates. Custom rubbers seals might be the tricky bit.
I did, let's just say they weren't the right people for the job. I kind of lost interest after that initial pint :D It would be a nice project for the summer though :whistle:
As you say rubbers are most likely the problem, not to mention headlining stuff (though I guess that's reasonably easily sorted), and probably most important of all some kind of 'spolier' to stop buffeting. I'm thinking very much along these lines, I may even speak to GS to see what they think. At the worst, after destroying a perfectly nice CF roof I'd still have the original to pop back on when it all goes tits up :lol:
944sunroof.JPG
944sunroof.JPG (119.85 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
7116.1320063658.jpg
7116.1320063658.jpg (158.89 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by TomK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm You could upgrade to a Roadster Tom, cheaper too. 😉
That's basically like asking me to cut my head off Dave, do you think I'm mad :dizzy:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Vanne

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by Vanne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:17 am

Hopefully finished today. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

TomK

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm

MrPT wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm
TomK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm
MrPT wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:40 pm Would love to do carbon targa panel conversion one day. Feels like the holy grail of coupe ownership!
I actually made an enquiry a couple of months ago to a company about doing this :D Bit of a pipe dream though to be honest :roll:
Did you get a response? I reckon a two panel system using the shape of the “double bump” and a fixed centre section to keep the joints clean and to avoid having to weld in additional fixing tabs. Then push turn fasteners in all four corners on the underside.

I can see how you’d make the panels - potentially by “cutting and shutting” a CF roof with additional CF end plates. Custom rubbers seals might be the tricky bit.
I did a bit more research and found a place that would be suitable for this, cost looks likely to prohibitive but if you wanted to join in I'd imagine the price would come down relatively. Something to mull over anyway :wink: It's not something I'm planning on doing any time soon.
"Hi Tom

Thanks for your enquiry.

It would be feasible, however to do it properly would be quite a lot of
work as I would want to make a new mould as the chance of distorting an
existing carbon panel would be high if you did it off the car and it
would be awkward to do it on the car (up side down)

At this time I would not be able to take on something like this as I am
already maxed out sorry."

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by MrPT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 pm

TomK wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm
MrPT wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm
TomK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm
I actually made an enquiry a couple of months ago to a company about doing this :D Bit of a pipe dream though to be honest :roll:
Did you get a response? I reckon a two panel system using the shape of the “double bump” and a fixed centre section to keep the joints clean and to avoid having to weld in additional fixing tabs. Then push turn fasteners in all four corners on the underside.

I did a bit more research and found a place that would be suitable for this, cost looks likely to prohibitive but if you wanted to join in I'd imagine the price would come down relatively. Something to mull over anyway :wink: It's not something I'm planning on doing any time soon.
"Hi Tom

Thanks for your enquiry.

It would be feasible, however to do it properly would be quite a lot of
work as I would want to make a new mould as the chance of distorting an
existing carbon panel would be high if you did it off the car and it
would be awkward to do it on the car (up side down)

At this time I would not be able to take on something like this as I am
already maxed out sorry."
Very much a bucket list thing for me too! :roll:

Interesting that he entertained the possibility though. Doing a bit more research into the rubber seals makes me think that you could probably use fairly inexpensive automotive or maritime hatch seals as long as the roof apertures are a fairly regular shape.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 pm

I shouldn't have read this thread - now I find myself thinking I'd like to do that as well! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Me too 8)
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

TomK

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 pmDoing a bit more research into the rubber seals makes me think that you could probably use fairly inexpensive automotive or maritime hatch seals as long as the roof apertures are a fairly regular shape.
A lot cheaper than what I was thinking of using no doubt, the 944/68 as a model panel.
For me I'd want to consider what could be fitted in the boot section when removed, it would be nice not just to have to leave it at home :oops:
Which brings me to the other mod I'd love to do which is put a Li battery in on the bulkhead and remove the ridiculous battery 'box' that we're condemned with. Pop the Si coupe boot trim and have a nice flat space for your roof panel to be stowed :)
Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 pm I shouldn't have read this thread - now I find myself thinking I'd like to do that as well! :)
:whistle:
BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pmMe too 8)
:whistle:

Ok, I'll look at getting some costs on it, that will probably remove the interest :lol:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 pm

While you’re there, let me know the cost of a small, light weight battery and the Z4C boot trim :D
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm

At least I don't nee to worry about the cost of the battery mod! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vanne

Cut my roof off today!!

Post by Vanne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 am

I could donate the oem roof if that helped old mate across the border...
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3