Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crazy story - Stolen Keys to Z4MC

"M" Specific discussion
ITAG

Crazy story - Stolen Keys to Z4MC

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:53 am

Two days ago I left my car at work and I had left the key on the front near side tyre incase the wife needed to drive it home. :? We both work at the same place but both on different sides of the campus and our hours can be different (shift workers)
We car share the 3 series whenever possible because it's a Motorway muncher and as things turned out we both were able to share the 3 series and the Z4MC stayed at work with the key on the wheel. Sounds stupid already but hey ho!

So this evening I dropped my wife at work to leave her with the 3 series. I went to collect the Z4MC, Imagine my suprise when I get to my car and the car key has vanished from the tyre . WTF!!! :cry: I search everywhere I could and started to question every place it could have got to and my own sanity! I clearly remember leaving it there and so went to security to see if it had been handed in. Nothing in lost and found and being dark I went back to the car for another hunt around. I gave up and jumped back in the 3 series. I thought this was so strange who would take a key off a wheel and not hand it in? It was too heavy with the key ring to blow away. The key ring was a big leather and chrome BMW one and the weight of that and the key and the protection from the wheel arch would mean that was pretty much impossible! So I was starting to think the worst. A thief must have taken it! Now probably waiting for the right time to nick the car! Etc etc. I drove home to get the spare key as now worried my car could be taken. I also turned the house over looking for any places the key might have got to just incase i had gone completely mad. :headbang:

So 23:15 the wife phones me from work, she had been to security too and looked around the car. She then phoned me on a her second visit to check the car park.

She found them! By the fence on a grass verge 3 meters from my car. Now how would that happen? A thief took them scaled the fence and dropped them. That's how! So as I mentioned earlier my key ring is made of leather. That is now pretty much all chewed to bits my wife said! Awaiting picture!

The thief was a sneaky london fox! So pleased my wife managed to find them! What are the chances of her finding them in the dark?

bjd

Re: Crazy story - Stolen Keys to Z4MC

Post by bjd » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:07 am

I wonder what your insurance company would make of this ;-)
2007 Z4MR with all the toys and gadgets!

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:08 am

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:11 am

yes I guess you're right, i definitely remember not selecting a fox as a named driver. :oops:

Xiaxio

Post by Xiaxio » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:22 am

Will the insurance cover the key ring?? :poke:

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 am

this has got to be one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

have a key each instead of leaving a key to a vehicle worth £15 (+/- £3k) on a wheel of the car.. insane. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:25 am

This thread is madness.

If the car was stolen, what would you have told the insurance company about the keys that were missing?

H.
ImageImage

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 am

Where do you work? :evil:

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:17 am

Keep your knickers on people! Ok so it might read and look like this is where I store the car key and I'm sorry forgot to mention that bit, we do both have keys but on that particular day she didn't bring it and we both left work in a bit of a hurry. not going back to get the key was an over sight when did remember I just couldn't be arsed going back to work. Infact the next day at work I forgot again to collect the car key.

We do have some pretty good security at work it's not a public car park. You would need a number of ID checks to even get into that part let alone leave.

And yes if car had got stolen obviously I would be out of pocket if the Tracker on the car didn't work.

Mind you the car is sepang bronze so who would of nicked it anyway ha ha ha :rofl:

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:01 am

If you work on the same campus could she not simply have txt/ rang you to ask you to pop out and give her the key? Seems like a crazy thing to have done.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 am

Well that's an interesting story :D

funny how people criticise without knowing anything about the circumstances in which you made, in your opinion, was a reasonably safe and secure place to to do it
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

AndyZ

Post by AndyZ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:51 am

Why can't you leave the key with security? :D
M4 competition - OOOoohhhhhhhh Yes!
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Jag F-type coupe R (RWD) - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone
Z4 3ltr e85 roadster - gone

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:52 am

Funny story I can just imagine the sinking feeling!

But could it have been a squirrel? love this clip of a squirrel pinching a gopro camera then filming the owner trying to get it back :D

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... s-science/
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 am

Stupid yes, lucky yes, just ordered two more key rings much cheaper on eBay!

Flame suit on.

On a lightner note the car and wife are now safely home and she said your car sounds different. She must be talking about the Gruppe M! :driving:

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:55 am

Actually leaving it at security would have been a much better idea.