Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement Battery

"M" Specific discussion
Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Battery

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:58 pm

So this morning I replaced the battery. I chose a Duracell one from ECP. One thing worth noting is that the vent pipe connects at the other end so I'll have to get an extension pipe.

I got it from Eurocarparts, but I've subsequently found a much cheaper UK supplier Tayna, so I thought I'd let folks know.

Incidentally the service from ECP was shocking. I paid for fast delivery as I was on holiday and wanted to change the battery so I could use the car over the weekend. I got a text to say it would be delivered when I would be back at work and they had no interest in getting it sorted with DHL. They just quoted T&C at me and refunded the postage. Feck 'em.

https://www.tayna.co.uk
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Replacement Battery

Post by mr wilks » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Can second Tayna for batteries , very knowledgeable & on your doorstep the next day :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Wildfire

Replacement Battery

Post by Wildfire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:34 pm

Ah this would have been good to know last week! ;) I got a ECP one 30% off last Sunday. Got one with much bigger CCA than what was in there. But my ECP is about 5 min drive so I just picked up.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

TomK

Replacement Battery

Post by TomK » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Stuart, are you sure you can't remove the vent pipe and insert it in the other side? You should find a small cap there which you remove and there is the hole for the vent pipe. Replace cap on the other side you've removed the vent pipe from.
At least that's been the case with other batteries I've had in the past.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Battery

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:04 pm

TomK wrote:Stuart, are you sure you can't remove the vent pipe and insert it in the other side? You should find a small cap there which you remove and there is the hole for the vent pipe. Replace cap on the other side you've removed the vent pipe from.
At least that's been the case with other batteries I've had in the past.

This :thumbsup:

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Battery

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:26 pm

That's what I thought, but the other end looks sealed.
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

Adam D

Replacement Battery

Post by Adam D » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Is the Duracell an AGM battery?
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

srhutch

Replacement Battery

Post by srhutch » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:16 pm

Hadn't realised the battery in the ///M Coupe was different to the roadster. Must be due to the roof :idunno:

D4dawg

Replacement Battery

Post by D4dawg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Oem replaced on mine as I did it myself after bmw thought that's my issue turns out it was alternator!
So mine had a vent pipe on on the rear towards inner of car

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Battery

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Adam D wrote:Is the Duracell an AGM battery?
I don't think so. If I'd bought the extreme it might have been. The model is DA74-096 if you want to look it up.

I took it out again today and checked what looked like the sealed vent and looked on the Duracell website. They tell you to put a 5mm wood screw in, turn it to engage it and pull it out and refit it to the other vent. That worked so the vent is connected again :thumbsup:

In other news, the old BMW battery charged fully on my new smart charger so I guess either I've got a spare or if someone wants to come and get it they can have it.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Replacement Battery

Post by pvr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 pm

The Z4 does not use an AGM battery.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Adam D

Replacement Battery

Post by Adam D » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:08 pm

pvr wrote:
Now I'm puzzled! This matches the part code on my battery suggesting my original battery is AGM, probably for safety owing to its location (more of a problem in the coupe) :D

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_1612

Some useful photos here taken from across the pond - perhaps duralast is rebranded for BMW oem as they are quite similar in construction.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=609849
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

D4dawg

Replacement Battery

Post by D4dawg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:21 pm

pvr wrote:
Z4m are AGM buddy
Mine was original that I took out
Mine was Oem original when put new

goughy1

Replacement Battery

Post by goughy1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 am

Hi All,

I have had my car in the garage for a few months now and have periodically brought the car out for a 1-2mile spin and then have put her back in under covers with the occasionally check on the battery via my CTEK. Most times after an approx 2 week period it would need charging (which I assumed was fairly normal) however the battery has been fully charged recently, taken out again for a 1-2mile drive and has dropped charge within a hours...

I am looking at a new one due to the fact that it wont hold charge but reading the above it has got me questioning it...
Stuart Truman wrote:
In other news, the old BMW battery charged fully on my new smart charger so I guess either I've got a spare or if someone wants to come and get it they can have it.
Do you think I should still be looking for a new battery, I still believe I do?

I am also interested to know from all the CTEK users if they leave their battery charger on for days/long periods of time to keep it continually charged? Obviously if the car is stored like mine? Anyone got experience with that?

Thanks in advance!

VRSteve

Replacement Battery

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:09 pm

goughy1 wrote:
I am also interested to know from all the CTEK users if they leave their battery charger on for days/long periods of time to keep it continually charged? Obviously if the car is stored like mine? Anyone got experience with that?

Thanks in advance!

My car doesn't move for weeks on end, and it is always connected to the CTEK if its in the garage. The same goes for both my motorbikes, and its not harmed any of them
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD