Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Herbie genuine barn find

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
HelenZ4

Herbie genuine barn find

Post by HelenZ4 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Mate has just inherited a VW bug Herbie, literally opened up the garage to find this.

Any ideas of age and whether it's worth restoring or simply sending on as it is? Sorry keep spinning the image but it comes up this way every time; must be an Australian import :rofl:

Reg plate suggests early 60's and must be worth a bit on its own? Needs to go to right home.....

2008 3.0Si Sport Monaco Blue Individual Champagne Nappa Bi-colour Interior Heated Seats Comfort Pack Xenons Bluetooth BBS CK's BMW Stubby. ZX636A1P 2002 Snot Green A1 mint, Beowulf can, low miles goes like stink. 15 plate C220d Estate AMG PremPlus

srhutch

Re: Herbie genuine barn find

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 pm

If it were me I would look into getting it back on the road.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Try this...

Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 am

That's pretty cool. Worth signing up to a 'bug' forum. I'm sure they'll be able to offer much better help than we can :thumbsup:
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:19 am

Think I know a little about these things as a classic car enthusiast and restorer for over 20 years

Very briefly

A professional restoration is likely to cost in excess of £8000, subsequently the car may be worth anything between £6-12000, depending on the quality of the work

As a project it may be worth anything between £200 and £2000 depending on condition and what paperwork you have.

Legally you can only get the plate off the car after it's restored, there are illegal ways to get the plate off that dealers or traders may employ. Either way removing the number will devalue the car anything between 10 and 30%

Best bet would be the vw community though but be careful of the unscrupulous scammers. They exist everywhere and the classic car world is not exempt.

Cheers
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

HelenZ4

Post by HelenZ4 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Inkeys :thumbsup:

Appreciate the feedback. It's coming down to Middle England next week for further analysis.......

Cheers all.
2008 3.0Si Sport Monaco Blue Individual Champagne Nappa Bi-colour Interior Heated Seats Comfort Pack Xenons Bluetooth BBS CK's BMW Stubby. ZX636A1P 2002 Snot Green A1 mint, Beowulf can, low miles goes like stink. 15 plate C220d Estate AMG PremPlus

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 am

I found one in a derelict garage near my house. It's an old woman that lives in the house and it seems she is house bound and her kids don't care much about the property as it's all over grown. I only noticed the car when the garage door fell off. The roof of the garage is part caved in as well. I could see a bright yellow wing sticking out and immediately got excited thinking PORSCHE :driving: Was a little gutted when i poked my nose under the door.

Anyway, after a bit of digging on the internet i decided it wasn't worth the hassle. In that state they don't fetch much and the cost to restore didn't balance up to the potential profit for me.

The plate is probably worth as much as the car TBH. My dad buys, sells and sometimes restores old British motorbikes. If a bike isn't worth building or is incomplete he often sells the plate which is possible as long as you have the log book.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 am

I thought the plate could only be transferred from a roadworthy vehicle?
It might be worth checking before you buy the car on the value of the plate alone.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 am

ronk wrote:I thought the plate could only be transferred from a roadworthy vehicle?
It might be worth checking before you buy the car on the value of the plate alone.
This. Has to have an MOT or as an exception have been taxed / MOT within the year. It is loosely that, I know because I was going to bin my Daily but I didn't want to lose my plate and it had been off the road for a while.

Equally ... Friend has a defender chassis with an amazing reg - he can't get it off
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby