Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 loose bolts

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
andy6409

108 loose bolts

Post by andy6409 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I have had an annoying rubbing/squeaking sound coming from my nearside front for a while and it started getting worse so I finally decided to investigate

When I spun the wheel the brake disc was rubbing so I stripped,cleaned and de-rusted everything but it was still noisy :(

I noticed that there seemed to be some staining coming from between the star and rim and when I applied pressure to the star I felt movement ,it became apparent that quite a few of the bolts were loose so I decided to strip the wheel
I found that half of the threaded holes had up to 1/4 inch of compacted blasting sand in them which must be from a previous refurbishment
Holes were cleared, wheel assembled, bolts cleaned, thread-locked and torqued

I now have a quiet car again :D

srhutch

Re: 108 loose bolts

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 pm

I guess you have checked the rest to be sure.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Re: 108 loose bolts

Post by mr wilks » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Did the bolt heads not look raised from the star?
Sounds as if they were tightened up onto the silica sand which subsequently dislodged or moved .
I sincerely doubt properly tightened bolts would ever work loose , Once tightened & left for a while they can take some shifting with the difference in metal & also the pressure once tyres on & inflated .
I have also had a set previously that appeared to have every bolt glued :evil: not good from removal point of view
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo