Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

handbrake help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
elliot_holder

handbrake help!

Post by elliot_holder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Hoping someone can help with a handbrake problem... as its starting to become quite frustrating to find flat places to park!

My handbrake has never been great, and since my drive is on a slope I've always been quite firm in applying it, just to ensure it doesnt roll away (always leave in gear as well, just in case)

Anyway, recently on pulling the handbrake up, it seemed to slip, and would pull up all the way without applying.. However after pushing down and pulling again more gently, it seemed to apply the handbrake ok.

However about a week ago, It seems like either the handbrake cable has become detached, or cable snapped, as pulling on the handbrake doesnt do anything! There is no resistance on the handbrake at all so can only assume its one of the above.

Has anyone expereinced this or something similar? If so, is there an easy fix?

Any help much appreciated, as its starting to prove VERY frustrating! :x
3.0i z4 - Prof Sat Nav,TV, //M suspension. 19'' Alpina Dynamics, Red //M sport seats, soon to be fitted Alpina front spolier.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: handbrake help!

Post by AlanJ » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Suggest as a start removing the handbrake cover and looking at the mechanism to see whats going on - as you say sounds like a snapped cable :(
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

elliot_holder

Post by elliot_holder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Tried that, but couldnt see anything obvious..

Been trying to find a diagram of how it all fit together. Tried RealOEM but there just isnt enough detail on there to diagnose and track down the problem..
3.0i z4 - Prof Sat Nav,TV, //M suspension. 19'' Alpina Dynamics, Red //M sport seats, soon to be fitted Alpina front spolier.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I suspect it needs no more than the shoes adjusting inside the rear disks. Remove one bolt (I prefer to remove the wheel) then when rotaed to the right place, with an adjuster tool or flat bladed screwdriver, ratchet up the shoes until they just lock, then back off enough to be free. Centralise by pressing the foot brake and repeat adjustment if required.

If the handbrake lever lever now comes up more than 3 or 4 clicks adjust that.

You'll likely find the brake works just fine after this.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

elliot_holder

Post by elliot_holder » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for the advie CJ - No luck though unfortunately, been adjusting all morning with no change. Adjusted the shoes until they just locked on both, then backed them off very slightly.. Still am able to pull up the handbrake all the way, with no effect..

How would I go about adjusting the handbrake from within the car?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:18 pm

elliot_holder wrote:Thanks for the advie CJ - No luck though unfortunately, been adjusting all morning with no change. Adjusted the shoes until they just locked on both, then backed them off very slightly.. Still am able to pull up the handbrake all the way, with no effect..

How would I go about adjusting the handbrake from within the car?
Well now you know the most awkward bit is done :)

Can't recall the in car cable adjustment and don't have the TIS to hand, but I'd have a bet it's just to remove the gaiter and tighten one or 2 cable nuts. If after doing that then it doesn't work you got to get it up on ramps and start seeing if the cable is moveing freely, anything broken, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

elliot_holder

Post by elliot_holder » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks CJ - Will give that a try tomorrow.

If that doesnt work, it will be off to the dealers.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 pm

and then prey that your cable hasn't snapped...... :thumbsdown:
:zzzz:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 pm

sk93 wrote:and then prey that your cable hasn't snapped...... :thumbsdown:
Yep - as per my post and thinking. If the cable cn't be adjusted up at the front now the rear is done then something is broken along the line :thumbsdown:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 pm

indeed... and that's quite a bit of work - exhaust off, prop out... :thumbsdown:
:zzzz:

EJL

Post by EJL » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old post... but

The exact same thing has happened to my hand brake, every now and then I would pull the hand brake and nothing, repeat then it works. However this time it didn't work... no resistance/feels loose when I pull the hand brake. My question is, was yours a broken cable? Was it difficult to fix? Must the prop shaft and exhaust come off to replace the cable??

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Z4 Roadster 3.0i Sterling Grey | 108's | Heated Seats | Wind Deflector | Dension BT Gateway | Whip |ZHP |

Gone: Mini Cooper S Charcoal Grey

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Bump.
Did you get your handbrake sorted EJL ?

Lee Young

Post by Lee Young » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Bump that one.