Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Turtle Wax ICE

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
TxMike

Re: Turtle Wax ICE

Post by TxMike » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:27 pm

Well...I'm not a slave to detailing, so I look for the easiest way that still does a good job. I clayed the whole car with Mother's claybar when it was new, to get all the contaminants off the fresh paint. That worked wonders for the smoothness of the finish. Since then, I've always used the Klasse AIO (all in one). It goes on and off easy, and looks great (IMHO) I did use the Klasse SG (sealant glaze) a couple of times, but it was VERY difficult to buff the SG completely out by hand...it's tough stuff. (There is no Porter-Cable in my arsenal, sorry). The sterling gray paint still looks and feels great after a bit more then 5 years of being parked outside almost every day in the Texas sun and rain. If I had a darker color, I might be tempted into a more involved process, but the sterling gray is very forgiving! :thumbsup:
GreetingZ from Fort Worth TexaZ!
2003 Sterling 3.0i Sport

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:52 am

I like the ICE, but I can't tell you how many times the damned thing spooged on my shirt, dash, seats, the damn bottle is worse than a teenage boy on prom night I swear.

So I take the cap off now when using it.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

physprof

Post by physprof » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Aebous wrote:I like the ICE, but I can't tell you how many times the damned thing spooged on my shirt, dash, seats, the damn bottle is worse than a teenage boy on prom night I swear.

its all about the pressure you appply.....

I like the ICE - so much less hassle than my normal autoglym stuff.... great to apply without worrying about white residue.....

though it is best for a already polished car.....

I'm psyching up to give the 528 an all over autoglym polish to get the lustre back and after that I'll be splashing the ICE on.....to save me time.

Now a question......the other ICE product - spray - suggests you can apply the a bdy with light dust / grime and wipe off to give a wax shine.... anybody done that....?

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Unsolicited comment. Since it takes the same amount of time and effort to get product on/off the car it leads me to 2 questions: First, why use such cheap products and Second, why use such cheap products on the Z4?

physprof

Post by physprof » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm

its the white crap.... with hindsight probbaly not such an issue with z4m .. but given bits of plastic rubbing strip etc on 528 a pain is ass.... and I'm not going to get duck tape out to protect these regions - cleaning/polishing is not what i've got the car for - driving yes - and asuming the the paint finish is as on 528 it'll be good for years ...but then again ... it was US built??? :wink:

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 pm

20ducks wrote:Unsolicited comment. Since it takes the same amount of time and effort to get product on/off the car it leads me to 2 questions: First, why use such cheap products and Second, why use such cheap products on the Z4?
x2 :o
Go Topless

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

Another thing ICE is good for is the piano black interior trim! :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)