Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aggressive wheel cleaners not needed

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Aggressive wheel cleaners not needed

Post by GAZA62 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 pm

[quote

That is still strange. I wash mine all the time. Last time was about a month ago, I have not driven it from that time and just checked and, no rust. I wonder why? Everything on brake system is stock, I wonder if new pads cause rust? :?[/quote]

May be its the British climate as on my last car mine will get a light surface rust on after a few days the Z lives outside and it rained most of last week its also something you see on most Stealers fourcourts where cars have been sitting
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 pm

If you can wax the wheels early enough then it's OK, but sometimes they get beyond that point.

Mine were fine on the SLK until just before Xmas last year when I had a new bumper fitted and the bodyshop cleaned my car. They must have used something really strong on the wheels because a couple of weeks after I struggled to get the insides clean, the wheels were pitted slightly and then the brake dust was sticking to this and making it worse, and the calipers looked a bit worse for wear too.

My discs never get rusty like that BTW. Maybe you live too close to the sea or there is more salt in the atmosphere there?

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2 Zero » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 pm

I remember 20 years ago wheel cleaner smelled like acid. It did a great job but you had to worry about what it was doing to the rims
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:33 am

2 Zero wrote:I remember 20 years ago wheel cleaner smelled like acid. It did a great job but you had to worry about what it was doing to the rims
In 2005 all major brands in NA reduced the active ingredients in wheel cleaners due to damage claims - it's pretty much water now, just marketing hype. BTW - any polymer wax will work on wheels - more marketing hype...
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS